Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Fullerton Hotel,One Fullerton& ? Building

  1. #1

    Default Fullerton Hotel,One Fullerton& ? Building

    [/url]


    1. In what area is critique to be sought?
    Andy form of critique and comment is welcome.

    2. What one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    To improve my landscape photography skill by learning from the Expert?

    3. Under what circumstance is the picture taken?(physical conditions/emotions)?
    Taken around 7.30am with D800 16-35mm lens with tripod, ISO100 20mm F20 3sec.

    4.What the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture?
    Do the composition work in this picture , does the HDR processing look ok.
    Thanks everyone who take their time looking at this picture.

  2. #2
    Senior Member oracle0711's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Settling down in Punggol
    Posts
    2,133

    Default Re: Fullerton Hotel,One Fullerton& ? Building

    Hi AndySim65,

    I won't comment on HDR as personally I have not experience in this area. Composition wise, it fail to resonate with the title. The railings appear to be distracting. Given a choice, I would prefer to position the passage way in the center of the frame to create a leading impact.

    Regardless, if the intent is to showcase Fullerton Hotel, I would prefer to give more coverage and choose a different location to shoot such as the one below:

    Fullerton Hotel

    To answer your question, the composition does not work for me. No offense.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Fullerton Hotel,One Fullerton& ? Building

    Quote Originally Posted by oracle0711 View Post
    Hi AndySim65,

    I won't comment on HDR as personally I have not experience in this area. Composition wise, it fail to resonate with the title. The railings appear to be distracting. Given a choice, I would prefer to position the passage way in the center of the frame to create a leading impact.

    Regardless, if the intent is to showcase Fullerton Hotel, I would prefer to give more coverage and choose a different location to shoot such as the one below:

    Fullerton Hotel

    To answer your question, the composition does not work for me. No offense.
    no worry, i on the learning path , your comment is good for me , my intention is the show the ? building , is a new building which i got no idea what the name.Thanks

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3

    Default Re: Fullerton Hotel,One Fullerton& ? Building

    Hi,

    I think the composition you have is rather good, though I agree a little with the other guy that it does not show much of the hotel however, the strong plus point is that the great use of lead-in lines from the handlebars that leads the eye to the "One Fullerton" sign which also works well for me.

    The HDR effect is good and balanced, not like some people who like to over do and it loses much of its sense of realism or rather much at times, the overdone effect is the very thing that kill the picture.

    The colours are not very over saturated as well which is good, however I feel somehow that the top half of the sky is a little too dark, maybe it's something you have done in photoshop or maybe you were using an ND filter but the only qualms I have with the entire picture is the sort of unbalanced exposure with the top half of the sky.

    Other than that, everything else looks really great! Anyway, with that sort of kit you're using, people are more likely to think that you're the pro instead! Haha.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Fullerton Hotel,One Fullerton& ? Building

    Quote Originally Posted by SeanGWS View Post
    Hi,

    I think the composition you have is rather good, though I agree a little with the other guy that it does not show much of the hotel however, the strong plus point is that the great use of lead-in lines from the handlebars that leads the eye to the "One Fullerton" sign which also works well for me.

    The HDR effect is good and balanced, not like some people who like to over do and it loses much of its sense of realism or rather much at times, the overdone effect is the very thing that kill the picture.

    The colours are not very over saturated as well which is good, however I feel somehow that the top half of the sky is a little too dark, maybe it's something you have done in photoshop or maybe you were using an ND filter but the only qualms I have with the entire picture is the sort of unbalanced exposure with the top half of the sky.

    Other than that, everything else looks really great! Anyway, with that sort of kit you're using, people are more likely to think that you're the pro instead! Haha.
    Thanks for pointing out the good and bad of the picture, yes I was using gnd filter, take note on balancing the picture,photography is my passion
    But not a pro, Infact due to my work I have little time for my passion.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Fullerton Hotel,One Fullerton& ? Building

    Quote Originally Posted by andysim65 View Post
    [/url]


    1. In what area is critique to be sought?
    Andy form of critique and comment is welcome.

    2. What one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    To improve my landscape photography skill by learning from the Expert?

    3. Under what circumstance is the picture taken?(physical conditions/emotions)?
    Taken around 7.30am with D800 16-35mm lens with tripod, ISO100 20mm F20 3sec.

    4.What the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture?
    Do the composition work in this picture , does the HDR processing look ok.
    Thanks everyone who take their time looking at this picture.
    Hihi,

    Firstly, also very much a learning amatuer like you, these are just my humble 2 cents opinions, could very well be wrong

    - The ground is brighter than the sky which is the source of light and is gives an unnatural feel to the photo. Not sure if this is an effect of the build in HDR of D800 ? In Landscapes section, you can refer to Stefan's , Scint's or Edutilos ' threads, very good examples of HDR being done.

    - Composition wise, the railings seems to be given too much 'weight' in the photo, the more interesting elements like fullerton etc in the background seems to fight for attention. A bit hard to find focus in this photo. Scintt had a very nice shot taken a few metres from this spot and could be used as a good reference. No.334 on this page. http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/land-...gapore-37.html

    - I would suggest not to over rely on HDR & try out other options of increasing dynamic range like Black Card Technique (Scintt's thread has tons of good example) or ND+GND Filters , focus & practise composition ( Edutilos's thread has incredible examples of good composition & all things landscape).

    - again all these r my humble suggestions, most important is to enjoy photography as you go along

    - Great effort for waking so early for this shot, keep shooting
    Last edited by Justintime; 31st August 2012 at 03:58 PM.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Fullerton Hotel,One Fullerton& ? Building

    Just to add on :

    - UWA are very nice especially on a full frame. Lots of articles on the web. Just 2 examples, enjoy reading

    1. How to Use Ultra-Wide Lenses
    Disclaimer : Normally take what Ken Rockwell says with a BIGGGG pinch of salt but this page on usage of UWA actually does makes alot of sense.

    2. Photography Tips: How To Use Ultra-Wide Lenses

  8. #8

    Default Re: Fullerton Hotel,One Fullerton& ? Building

    Quote Originally Posted by Justintime View Post
    Hihi,

    Firstly, also very much a learning amatuer like you, these are just my humble 2 cents opinions, could very well be wrong

    - The ground is brighter than the sky which is the source of light and is gives an unnatural feel to the photo. Not sure if this is an effect of the build in HDR of D800 ? In Landscapes section, you can refer to Stefan's , Scint's or Edutilos ' threads, very good examples of HDR being done.

    - Composition wise, the railings seems to be given too much 'weight' in the photo, the more interesting elements like fullerton etc in the background seems to fight for attention. A bit hard to find focus in this photo. Scintt had a very nice shot taken a few metres from this spot and could be used as a good reference. No.334 on this page. http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/land-...gapore-37.html

    - I would suggest not to over rely on HDR & try out other options of increasing dynamic range like Black Card Technique (Scintt's thread has tons of good example) or ND+GND Filters , focus & practise composition ( Edutilos's thread has incredible examples of good composition & all things landscape).

    - again all these r my humble suggestions, most important is to enjoy photography as you go along

    - Great effort for waking so early for this shot, keep shooting
    This is not a in build HDR by Nikon , I use photomatix software , the three TS u mention are all my idol, Scintt shot I saw before I took this picture, I try not to follow his angle , it make me feel like I trying to copy his angle, I actually want to take the ? Building alone but unfortunately the rain start to pour, so I have to pack up and go.
    Thanks for yours suggestion, will take note on it in the future.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Fullerton Hotel,One Fullerton& ? Building

    Quote Originally Posted by Justintime View Post
    Just to add on :

    - UWA are very nice especially on a full frame. Lots of articles on the web. Just 2 examples, enjoy reading

    1. How to Use Ultra-Wide Lenses
    Disclaimer : Normally take what Ken Rockwell says with a BIGGGG pinch of salt but this page on usage of UWA actually does makes alot of sense.

    2. Photography Tips: How To Use Ultra-Wide Lenses
    Thanks again for the link will look at it after my work tonight.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Fullerton Hotel,One Fullerton& ? Building

    Quote Originally Posted by Justintime View Post
    Just to add on :

    - UWA are very nice especially on a full frame. Lots of articles on the web. Just 2 examples, enjoy reading

    1. How to Use Ultra-Wide Lenses
    Disclaimer : Normally take what Ken Rockwell says with a BIGGGG pinch of salt but this page on usage of UWA actually does makes alot of sense.

    2. Photography Tips: How To Use Ultra-Wide Lenses
    Thanks again for the link will look at it after my work tonight.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Fullerton Hotel,One Fullerton& ? Building

    somehow i am not bothered by overcooking the HDR effect....so would like to explore putting more drama into the photo, especially the clouds in the horizon. i like the feeling of walking into something unknown ahead with a slight sense of foreboding....
    Last edited by zaren; 1st September 2012 at 12:24 AM.
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zaren
    somehow i am not bothered by overcooking the HDR effect....so would like to explore putting more drama into the photo, especially the clouds in the horizon. i like the feeling of walking into something unknown ahead with a slight sense of foreboding....
    Now the picture look more balance,definitely more interesting ,and the path with the line marking more obvious made it more mysterious . Thanks giving the pic more interesting look.

  13. #13
    Senior Member MGohzxc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,300

    Default Re: Fullerton Hotel,One Fullerton& ? Building

    Overall, the frame look very busy. The HDR is not properly done and loses focus and sharpness. The composition don't really relate to the title. You probably can crop away some of the sky and crop the right side to focus the viewer more to the Fullerton Hotel and One Fullerton. Here is an example but will be good to reshoot.

    Last edited by MGohzxc; 1st September 2012 at 06:09 PM.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Fullerton Hotel,One Fullerton& ? Building

    Quote Originally Posted by MGohzxc View Post
    Overall, the frame look very busy. The HDR is not properly done and loses focus and sharpness. The composition don't really relate to the title. You probably can crop away some of the sky and crop the right side to focus the viewer more to the Fullerton Hotel and One Fullerton. Here is an example but will be good to reshoot.

    I like the sky and the right crop , definitely look better and cleaner, and more focus on the building now . Thanks for the example.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Fullerton Hotel,One Fullerton& ? Building

    you can try shooting with a higher camera angle to achieve a greater separation between the railings and the buildings in the frame.
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

  16. #16

    Default Re: Fullerton Hotel,One Fullerton& ? Building

    Quote Originally Posted by zaren View Post
    you can try shooting with a higher camera angle to achieve a greater separation between the railings and the buildings in the frame.
    yeh , i think that should be a better option, good suggestion, thanks.

  17. #17
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,626
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Fullerton Hotel,One Fullerton& ? Building

    Personally, I find the way you composed to scene and the railings is just too distracting. The railings does more to distract than to add to the scene, If you compose without the end of the railing (the big piece on the right center), it might work better. To accomplish that, place your setup right up to that piece of railing, and shot over it.

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123
    Personally, I find the way you composed to scene and the railings is just too distracting. The railings does more to distract than to add to the scene, If you compose without the end of the railing (the big piece on the right center), it might work better. To accomplish that, place your setup right up to that piece of railing, and shot over it.
    Thanks for your suggestion , I use to shoot higher for most of my shot , but this one I didn't, good to know that it doesn't work.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •