Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CRT vs LCD & TFT monitor

Quote Originally Posted by josho
    Im holding 170S and B4BB series. 170S LCD is much better but not as sharp as B4. Hence the colour is abit blur but much on lighter side. More of the colour look as same as CRT. B4 is sharper but then... argh... Its too dark. Im kinda stuck in between them. I guess i Need to develop the photos to check which is much clearer and accurate on my both LCD.

It's always an agrumentative on LCDs. LOL
    Any differences between analog and Digital? I am thinking of DVI via graphic card, wonder if it's worth the upgrade.
    Last edited by LifeWorld; 13th February 2005 at 09:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LifeWorld
    Any differences between analog and Digital? I am thinking of DVI via graphic card, wonder if it's worst the upgrade.
    I haben plug out to change DVI yet. I think abt the same.. i must try and see lor. hehehe.. hm.. LIKE SLR and DSLR??

Any differences between analog and Digital? I am thinking of DVI via graphic card, wonder if it's worst the upgrade.
    The graphics chip generates the color information for each pixel as a 24 bit parallel data stream (8 bits per color). From this data stream, the RAMDAC creates the analog VGA signals. When this data is transmitted via DVI, the RAMDAC remains unused. Instead, the parallel data is sent to a TMDS transmitter, which transcodes the data into a serial signal. When the signal reaches the receiver - i.e. the monitor - the serial signal is then converted back into a parallel data stream. The conversion into a serial data stream is necessary because serial connections are much more interference-proof than parallel connections, especially over greater distances.

Connecting a LCD via VGA means sub-par performance. The graphics processor provides digital data, which is then converted into an analog signal, transferred to the monitor (via the cable) and converted back into digital on the LCD. The result is an unnecessary loss of signal quality and interference may introduced during the transmission.

DVI will not have interference problem which will degrade the image quality because it will be digital all the way, it can carry more data than analog too, and thus more suitable for high res LCD such as 1600 x 1200 and above.

DVI and VGA connections make a big different to me because my screen has native resolution of 1600 x 1200. if i use VGA u will see that the text are not as crisp sharp as DVI. But for smaller screen, DVI is not really necessary (such as 1024 x 768), that's the reason why u will not find DVI connection on 15in LCD.

Another advantage for DVI is that u need not to adjust the size and location of the display, it will automatic adjust to fill up the screen.

There are not many card that has Dual DVI connector, usually found in higher ends one like 6800 Ultra, Therefore, in the end I bought a Radeon 9200 PCI for second DVI connector. Another advantage of using separate graphic cards for dual LCDs is that I can calibrate both LCDs using eye-one.

Most graphic cards only has one colour look-up table, even when they have 2 outputs. Only the matrox parhelia and some professional graphic cards will have 2 look-up table, one for each connection. Due to this limitation, u can never match their colour if u connect 2 LCDs to a graphic card with only one look-up table. Even u have eye-one or spyder, none of them will be able to calibrate both LCD for you, but only one at a time. I have tried this personally and that's why in the end I bought the PCI radeon for my second LCD. Hope this answer your question, josho
    We are HDD of PC & FT are MB add to storage;
    so PC never hangs with enormous storage capacity - LKY

Wai-
    woo.. thanks man... i finally understand. Well.. I guess for the best ideal plan will be for me to get the second Radeon 9200 VGA card as I had one currently. Then I'll get Eye-One to Calibrate the LCD. So it will be accurate as it run by 2 VGA card. It doesnt matter whether it DVI and Analog O/P. But the most imptnt thing is, if I had 2 VGA card. One for DVI LCD, one for ANALOG LCD. Does the calibration works that both LCD colour will be the same? Sorry for the long qtn.

Thanks in advance.

But the most imptnt thing is, if I had 2 VGA card. One for DVI LCD, one for ANALOG LCD. Does the calibration works that both LCD colour will be the same? Sorry for the long qtn.
    yes, it will works as long as u dont use both VGA & DVI connectors on the same card at the same time.

but if you have a choice, of cos use DVI for the best viewing quality.

for me, i have two PCs and two LCDs
    PC A has 2 VGA cards, connect to two LCDs using DVI.
    PC B has 1 VGA card, connect to one of the LCDs using VGA (one of my LCD got dual input - DVI & VGA).

After using eye-one to calibrate, the colour still match no matter i use PC A or PC B. However, when using PC B, the text is not as sharp because it is using VGA connection. To me the different is very obvious because I am conditioned with the sharpness that DVI gives when using PC A.

btw, this is not due to the cable or graphic card fault, but the limitation of analog VGA connection when your display is set at 1600 x 1200. So if u really need to use VGA connection, try to get good quality VGA cable (usually better quality cable is thicker because of more shielding).
    Last edited by Wai; 13th February 2005 at 07:10 PM.

I am using a 128MB ATI Radeon 9200 TV out( I have not idea what graphic card it is), my monitor is Fujitsu-Siemens computer Scaleno View T17-1. But after I used the Adobe Gamma it improves so much.

I do not know the Adobe Gamma is for CRT only.

Although my monitor is very good now, where can I get the Eye-One software and how much is the market price?

Great reply! Anyway, will it work better if I plug in DVI connectors to my VGA LCD? WHich mean ; 2nd LCD Analog VGA out -> DVI COnnector (VGA to DVI) -> Graphic card (DVI).

Will it be better in terms of sharpness?

Most computer either has built-in VGA out port(on-board motherboard) or requires an additional VGA graphic card. The VGA out port connects to the CRT/LCD monitor. However, with modern technology, you may buy high-end graphic card with VGA and DVI out ports. Unless your Monitor or LCD has DVI 'in' port for digital input, you can't use Graphic card's DVI to connect to analog VGA port or vice versa!

Hmm.. what am I talking about? This is snappy's forum not Compy's!

Quote Originally Posted by Wai
    The graphics chip generates the color information for each pixel as a 24 bit parallel data stream (8 bits per color). From this data stream, the RAMDAC creates the analog VGA signals. When this data is transmitted via DVI, the RAMDAC remains unused. Instead, the parallel data is sent to a TMDS transmitter, which transcodes the data into a serial signal. When the signal reaches the receiver - i.e. the monitor - the serial signal is then converted back into a parallel data stream. The conversion into a serial data stream is necessary because serial connections are much more interference-proof than parallel connections, especially over greater distances.

Connecting a LCD via VGA means sub-par performance. The graphics processor provides digital data, which is then converted into an analog signal, transferred to the monitor (via the cable) and converted back into digital on the LCD. The result is an unnecessary loss of signal quality and interference may introduced during the transmission.

DVI will not have interference problem which will degrade the image quality because it will be digital all the way, it can carry more data than analog too, and thus more suitable for high res LCD such as 1600 x 1200 and above.

DVI and VGA connections make a big different to me because my screen has native resolution of 1600 x 1200. if i use VGA u will see that the text are not as crisp sharp as DVI. But for smaller screen, DVI is not really necessary (such as 1024 x 768), that's the reason why u will not find DVI connection on 15in LCD.

Another advantage for DVI is that u need not to adjust the size and location of the display, it will automatic adjust to fill up the screen.

There are not many card that has Dual DVI connector, usually found in higher ends one like 6800 Ultra, Therefore, in the end I bought a Radeon 9200 PCI for second DVI connector. Another advantage of using separate graphic cards for dual LCDs is that I can calibrate both LCDs using eye-one.

Most graphic cards only has one colour look-up table, even when they have 2 outputs. Only the matrox parhelia and some professional graphic cards will have 2 look-up table, one for each connection. Due to this limitation, u can never match their colour if u connect 2 LCDs to a graphic card with only one look-up table. Even u have eye-one or spyder, none of them will be able to calibrate both LCD for you, but only one at a time. I have tried this personally and that's why in the end I bought the PCI radeon for my second LCD. Hope this answer your question, josho
    Thanks for info. My LCD is only 15". Will not upgrade liao.

Just found out the Eye-One is "Very ThicK" ("Chin Cho" in $$$). I'll skip that. Can buy some other accessories with that price. JMO.
    Last edited by spiderman; 13th February 2005 at 09:53 PM.

Wai,

where did u get the second PCI radeon from? Looking for one piece but I can't find in SLS.

Thx.

Spiderman- it is damn freaking CHOR> CHOR until Pants drop. Im thinking who wanna share share.. can the Eye One actually install the program for more then 3 computers or not.

Lifeworld- As far I know. There's a adapter from Analog (LCD/CRT) to DVI (VGA Card). Damn. I thinking Im talking nonsense already. Sorry Wai. Im asking redunctancy qtn. Since if I getting new VGA card, I can just buy ANALOG to DVI adapter to connect my VGA card. LOL..

Java_Guru - U also looking for PCI VGA card instead of AGP VGA card right? So far I ask my frenz, he had nvidia in the store of SLS. Im wondering is nvidia more then enuff?

Deregistered

Actually it's not that chor when you compare to photography equipment

Great reply! Anyway, will it work better if I plug in DVI connectors to my VGA LCD? WHich mean ; 2nd LCD Analog VGA out -> DVI COnnector (VGA to DVI) -> Graphic card (DVI).

Will it be better in terms of sharpness?
    have u check out the price for VGA to DVI adapter? it can easily cost more than the eye-one u know? and u need to get it from oversea. Personally I wont use the second output because it will mess up the colour

Unless your Monitor or LCD has DVI 'in' port for digital input, you can't use Graphic card's DVI to connect to analog VGA port or vice versa!!
    not really..there are VGA to DVI adapter and also DVI to VGA adapter

there are even adapter for less well known connectors like SGI and ADC

if u get a graphic card with both DVI and VGA output, usually they will bundle a small little DVI to VGA adapter (from DVI ouput of your graphic card to analog input of your display)

so that u can use the DVI port to connect your VGA monitor.

vice versa is possible with a VGA to DVI adapter, but it is huge and cost a bomb as i have mentioned earlier
    Last edited by Wai; 13th February 2005 at 11:44 PM.

Which shop is this? I don't mind nvidia one.

Java_Guru - U also looking for PCI VGA card instead of AGP VGA card right? So far I ask my frenz, he had nvidia in the store of SLS. Im wondering is nvidia more then enuff?

Quote Originally Posted by Java_Guru
    Which shop is this? I don't mind nvidia one.
    just make sure it has DVI output lor, for me I am using Radeon X800XT as my main card, so my secondary card also use Radeon, no need to install so many drivers.

Note that only DVI-I can be easily converted to analog VGA. DVI-D is digital only and will probably require something a lot more complicated/expensive. And obviously like Wai mentioned VGA (card) ->DVI (display) is going to be expensive too, and I don't think it offers much benefits as you are doing multiple conversions.

Regards
    CK

The nvidia 6800 ultra has two DVI out connectors like this

it also comes with two little DVI to VGA adapters like this

but if u want the other way round. ie VGA to DVI, u will need something like this

http://www.highway.net.au/parts/converters/4249.html

and it cost US$295 just to convert VGA to DVI signal, and it is not really useful because the graphic card RAMDAC already convert the digital signal to analog, just that this convertor will convert analog to digital again before it send across to the display via the DVI cable.

This adapter is useful if u die die want to use the old Apple Cinema display on a VGA graphic card. U will then need to get the DVI to ADC adapter (US$199) and this VGA to DVI convertor (US$295)
    Last edited by Wai; 14th February 2005 at 10:27 AM.

Alamak Spiderman must climbing too many walls liao lar. : )
    If that's the case then the owner of the thread should at least make the title more meaningful mah.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast