Thread: Simplifying Chinese

Default Simplifying Chinese

Default Re: Simplifying Chinese

Actually Jian Ti is better than Pin Yin. Chinese characters are ideograms. Some are harder to remember because of many pen strokes, so the Jian Ti always has less. Pin Yin is only mimicking the sound in romanised alphabet without any meaning.
    In ancient China, the feudal Chinese literati had a wicked streak. They wanted to keep peasants ignorant so that the latter can be exploited.
    Jian Ti is so that large masses of less educated can quickly pick up the language.
    There will always be the small % of brilliant who can master the Fan Ti and think that it is better. It is better (for some).

But have to think of the larger common good and macro view.

Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post
    Actually Jian Ti is better than Pin Yin. Chinese characters are ideograms. Some are harder to remember because of many pen strokes, so the Jian Ti always has less. Pin Yin is only mimicking the sound in romanised alphabet without any meaning.
    In ancient China, the feudal Chinese literati had a wicked streak. They wanted to keep peasants ignorant so that the latter can be exploited.
    Jian Ti is so that large masses of less educated can quickly pick up the language.
    There will always be the small % of brilliant who can master the Fan Ti and think that it is better. It is better (for some).

But have to think of the larger common good and macro view.
    I don't agree that Hanzi are ideograms.

Many characters have a meaning component & a sound component. However many basic characters can be considered as root radicals and thus ideograms to some extent. I'm no linguist so it's just my opinion.
    Last edited by surrephoto; 29th August 2012 at 11:07 PM.

i don't like the chinese characters being simplified though it looks easier (if you know the traditional characters for comparing). the simplified chinese characters have lost its meaning and feels shallow.

Taiwan still use traditional Chinese characters. Nowadays young Singaporeans can't read them. Just like SMSes !

you might be surprised.

I failed my Chinese exams twice (first and only subject I had failed at national level...not that i was great but usually scraped through).
    Strangely though I find traditional script easier to read (if the word is not too small that I can't see the characters). Usually I do this trying to learn my Cantonese (watch serial, listen and read HK Traditional Chinese script...not true Mandarin of course, it is transliterated HK Cantonese script)

The only problem is that for words I can't read, my recourse , the Chinese dictionary, lists only the Taiwan phonetic style is incomprehensible to my Hanyu Pinyin trained brain.
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

My take on this is that the days of traditional Chinese is more or less numbered. Sooner or later, the Taiwanese would opt for the simplified version to unify with the mainland, as a first step of cultural unification, then, full commercial and trade unification.

Of course, those studying Chinese, the academia, historians etc could still study traditional Chinese, but for the majority, simplified version is the way to go la.
    Do not be afraid [of ghost and bullies] Shoot them......