Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Any good advices for 3rd party lens?

Quote Originally Posted by Limbang
    sorry, mix up.
    would like to know about sigma 135-400.
    Hi Limbang,

I think it will be helpful that you start another thread instead of putting it here.

Others who are using this lens will give comments there... instead of here.
    Last edited by rayz; 7th February 2005 at 11:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dkw
    2 I have used and will recommend to anybody;

2) Sigma 70-200/2.8 HSM

Pros: Really sharp! Fast focussing HSM, nice build, neutral colour (my preference, YMMV)
    Cons: No IS, paint peels off (no big deal)

Cheers,
    Do you know how it compares with the Canon 70-200 IS and Non-IS? Is the HSM as fast and accurate as Canon's USM?

Quote Originally Posted by superdave
    Do you know how it compares with the Canon 70-200 IS and Non-IS? Is the HSM as fast and accurate as Canon's USM?
    It has already been stated in previous pages, but I will repeat again, the optical quality is almost the same as both Canon Ls but will be slightly softer when wide open. Stopped down 1/3 stop and more there is almost no optical difference. HSM is very fast, almost as fast as USM (say abt 90-95% of the USM speed). Occasionally might hunt in poor lighting lar.

For amateur use, the Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 HSM is good enough. In fact, I won't be surprised if there are also some pros using it too.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave
    Garion has already answered the question, but here's my $0.02. The Sigma HSM is very very quick, the Canon 70-200IS USM is very very very quick . In practical terms, they are both much faster than your fingers can react and your eye can compose, so for all intents and purposes, an operational dead-heat. If you can live without the IS, go for the Sigma.

Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by Garion
    It has already been stated in previous pages, but I will repeat again, the optical quality is almost the same as both Canon Ls but will be slightly softer when wide open. Stopped down 1/3 stop and more there is almost no optical difference. HSM is very fast, almost as fast as USM (say abt 90-95% of the USM speed). Occasionally might hunt in poor lighting lar.

For amateur use, the Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 HSM is good enough. In fact, I won't be surprised if there are also some pros using it too.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkw
    Garion has already answered the question, but here's my $0.02. The Sigma HSM is very very quick, the Canon 70-200IS USM is very very very quick . In practical terms, they are both much faster than your fingers can react and your eye can compose, so for all intents and purposes, an operational dead-heat. If you can live without the IS, go for the Sigma.

Cheers,
    Yo Garion & dkw...

Thanks for sharing so much information and claifying superdave's inquiry...
    Do you guys know roughly the price for the lens?

Btw... wishing you guys collect many many big big ang baos to buy buy buy your desired lens...

I heard from a photojournalist that the Sigma lenses cannot take the extended use and abuse of the professional lenses like the L-lenses, and they break down pretty frequently.

However, if we are not using the lenses for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, 52 weeks a year, then I'm sure you'll be fine with Sigma lenses. I personally use 3 2.8 Sigma lenses and for the past 4 years, had no problems with them. They are fantastic and they are exceptionally sharp.

Quote Originally Posted by Seeto
    I heard from a photojournalist that the Sigma lenses cannot take the extended use and abuse of the professional lenses like the L-lenses, and they break down pretty frequently.

However, if we are not using the lenses for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, 52 weeks a year, then I'm sure you'll be fine with Sigma lenses. I personally use 3 2.8 Sigma lenses and for the past 4 years, had no problems with them. They are fantastic and they are exceptionally sharp.
    I think that why they called them L-lenses... if for that kind of money... they cannot withstand abuse... then we are like paying for nothing... another thing is many of us are hobbist... and not pro... so we have budget constraint...

Thanks for sharing your experience with sigma lens

Quote Originally Posted by rayz
    Any good advise on any f2.8 3rd party lens(Canon mount)?
    Eg. Sigma, Tamron, Tokina...

In terms of their sharpness, DOF, color, picture texture and price?
    Heard that theTamron 28-75mm f2.8 Di is very sharp...

Thanks in advance...
    For the 28-70 range: Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 Di

For the 70-200 range: Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 HSM.
    (I rule out Tokina for its ugly 'screw on' hood, and since Sigma has an added advantage of HSM over Tokina and Tamron)

Quote Originally Posted by Winston
    For the 28-70 range: Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 Di

For the 70-200 range: Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 HSM.
    (I rule out Tokina for its ugly 'screw on' hood, and since Sigma has an added advantage of HSM over Tokina and Tamron)
    Thanks Winston...
    For your advice on the 3 brands...

Any more advise on the wide angle zoom for 3rd party lens?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123