Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any good advices for 3rd party lens?

See next post ->

Some samples from my Sigma 70-200mm f2.8, shot wide open (f2.8) at 175mm, ISO 200, handheld using Canon 10D. JPEG Large Fine mode.

Not a full or rigid test of this lens, just a quick test to show its capabilities wide open.

Slow loading files, pls be patient.

The full picture direct from cam, no post process done except crop left edge to remove distracting object, resize to 400x600 and saved as jpg:

A 100% crop from original jpg file (no post process except save as jpg)

Another 100% crop:

And another from the lower right edge of original pic:

Last edited by Garion; 4th February 2005 at 01:22 AM.

I guess if you never print bigger than 8R, most of the Sigma EX series lenes are the best value for money -- if you don;t mind the noisier AF motors for the non-HSM versions.

If there is a need to print 8R... will a Canon 70-200mm f4 or 70-200mm f2.8 be better compare to a Sigma f2.8?

Quote Originally Posted by rayz
    If there is a need to print 8R... will a Canon 70-200mm f4 or 70-200mm f2.8 be better compare to a Sigma f2.8?
    Hi rayz, I have used both Canon 70-200mm f2.8L and now using the Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 EX HSM.....optically both are almost equal, the only difference is wide open at f2.8 the Canon is slightly better than the Sigma. If you print at 8R/Super 8R and below the difference between both lens would be hardly noticeable. As you can see from my sample pics above, the Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 EX is capable of giving excellent image quality even when wide open.

Ultimately, what you decide to buy would depend on your budget, and your shooting needs. The Sigma is an excellent choice for those on tight budget. If cost no object for you, then you may opt for the Canon 70-200mm f2.8L, or maybe even the IS version. You pay more, but in return you get better build quality and USM focusing too.

Well, to add on, I have tested a 70-200 IS and a sigma 70-200 side-by-side, the USM is just that tad noticeably faster than HSM. Not really day and night diff. Perhaps the HSM would have more micro hunting with some tricky surfaces (eg clothes with low contrast patterns).

If you are talking about a consumer body vs a pro body even with motor-driven lenses like tamron 28-75 (tested it side-by-side also), wah that one really day and night.

Quote Originally Posted by 2100
    Well, to add on, I have tested a 70-200 IS and a sigma 70-200 side-by-side, the USM is just that tad noticeably faster than HSM. Not really day and night diff. Perhaps the HSM would have more micro hunting with some tricky surfaces (eg clothes with low contrast patterns).

If you are talking about a consumer body vs a pro body even with motor-driven lenses like tamron 28-75 (tested it side-by-side also), wah that one really day and night.

Hi, are you mentioning something like the EOS 300 vs EOS 1/3 series AF on a motor driven len?

Quote Originally Posted by theITguy
    Hi, are you mentioning something like the EOS 300 vs EOS 1/3 series AF on a motor driven len?
    Yes....anyway my comparison was a tamron 28-75 on a D70 and D2H.

Yes once you have tried out the AF on a pro body nothing else compares man. Lighting fast, even with lenses w/o USM/SWM/HSM.

Quote Originally Posted by Garion
    Yes once you have tried out the AF on a pro body nothing else compares man. Lighting fast, even with lenses w/o USM/SWM/HSM.
    Dunno how much D2X will be.....
    Last edited by 2100; 4th February 2005 at 06:40 PM.

Wow... I was away... and there are already so many comments...
    Please keep them coming...

Thanks for taking the effort to compare between the Sigma and Canon lens... really appreciate it...

No one using the Tokina? No comments on it?

some guys here swear by the Tamron 28-75/2.8 while some swear by the Sigma 24-70/2.8, while some swear by the Tokina 28-70/2.8 or 28-80/2.8.
    Personally, I feel that among these, optics wide open at F2.8 and the bokeh is the best for the Tamron.
    Have to tried the Sigma, but for me, the Tokina's focusing is faster than the Tamron. Build quality wise, the Tokina is like a tank. Anyway, with either one of these 4 lens, you can't go wrong. For wider options, the Sigma 24-70 is the best option.

Wow... I was away... and there are already so many comments...
    Please keep them coming...

Thanks for taking the effort to compare between the Sigma and Canon lens... really appreciate it...

No one using the Tokina? No comments on it?

I'm using a sigma 28 - 80 F 3.8 and am satisfied with it. I have a shot on my web page where you can see the veins in a bee's wings and I blew this up about 10/15 times and cropped.
    See
    http://www.gallerie-fotographique.or...C8176Crop.html

There is a precropped version also. Just hit the next arrow to see it. I bought my lens new on ebay, in fact I got two and paid about $50 each for them. Well worth the money. I forgot, it is a macro lens. I looked at some of the other photos posted and my Sigma seems sharper than any of the posted photos.There are also some night time photos which I shot hand held with this camera. http://www.gallerie-fotographique.or...0water39C.html
    Click previous to see another shot of same topic shot with same lens.
    Last edited by mikeb380; 5th February 2005 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Added Information

Quote Originally Posted by meng
    some guys here swear by the Tamron 28-75/2.8 while some swear by the Sigma 24-70/2.8, while some swear by the Tokina 28-70/2.8 or 28-80/2.8.
    Personally, I feel that among these, optics wide open at F2.8 and the bokeh is the best for the Tamron.
    Have to tried the Sigma, but for me, the Tokina's focusing is faster than the Tamron. Build quality wise, the Tokina is like a tank. Anyway, with either one of these 4 lens, you can't go wrong. For wider options, the Sigma 24-70 is the best option.
    Thanks for giving your opinions on the 4 lens.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeb380
    I'm using a sigma 28 - 80 F 3.8 and am satisfied with it. I have a shot on my web page where you can see the veins in a bee's wings and I blew this up about 10/15 times and cropped.
    See
    http://www.gallerie-fotographique.or...C8176Crop.html

There is a precropped version also. Just hit the next arrow to see it. I bought my lens new on ebay, in fact I got two and paid about $50 each for them. Well worth the money. I forgot, it is a macro lens. I looked at some of the other photos posted and my Sigma seems sharper than any of the posted photos.There are also some night time photos which I shot hand held with this camera. http://www.gallerie-fotographique.or...0water39C.html
    Click previous to see another shot of same topic shot with same lens.
    Thanks... You only pay $50 for one lens?

Hi, anyone using the Tokina 80-200mm f/2.8 or the Tokina 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6.. am thinking of a decent price tele lens.

Cheers.

how about sigma 120-400 lens ?

Quote Originally Posted by Limbang
    Don't think Sigma have this lens...

Are you refering to 120-300mm f2.8 lens?

Quote Originally Posted by Limbang
    And there is another one at 135-400/4.5-5.6 other than the 120-300/2.8.

And there is another one at 135-400/4.5-5.6 other than the 120-300/2.8.
    Ya... which one are you refering...

120-300mm/2.8 or 135-400mm/4.5-5.6?

Fyi, I'm more interesting in the f2.8 lens...

sorry, mix up.
    would like to know about sigma 135-400.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast