Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Credit Cards, enlighten me!

Quote Originally Posted by loupgarou
    cards I'm using
    UOB One card = uob for dining privileges, charge power bill to card, + cashback
    Uob Visa Mini = friday got free latte every friday, 2 times a month entry to planet fitness (dunno, haven't apply yet)
    Eh, where can get the free latte? Just flash the card will do is it? is there any T&C?

there are so many CC ard, u wont be wrong with anyone of them.
    some points to consider before signing up.
    1. sign up with a reputable bank, recognise worldwide
    2. visa/mastercard - called CC, amex/diners - called charge card. 2 different types.
    3. if you are eligible, get a corporate card from your company. this will definately save you from the annual fees.

Eh, where can get the free latte? Just flash the card will do is it? is there any T&C?
    must show credit card slip from the previous (mon - thu ) or so , any amount

Quote Originally Posted by loupgarou
    must show credit card slip from the previous (mon - thu ) or so , any amount
    Changed to $20 min liao. UOB CC, i mean. Visa mini also can.

LAst time used to be any amt, but i guess due to misuse. Sometimes $2 also sign card.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepless
    J.J, no lah, not going for cards because of hire purchase! haha, anyway u made a good one out of my nick.

More for convenience sake, u know, stepping out into society to work for some time already, just get one when NETS can't do the job. Hire purchase is just an option. What cards do u people use?

Perhaps there should be a card for all CSers.. lovers of photography..n its equipement.
    *ahem*

I used to have ur sorta thinking till I saw my bills come...

Going on 3wks of roti is no joke. If u really must get a card, spend wisely.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff49er
    DBS, OCBC, CITIBANK.

Benefits are almost similar with diff cards
    If you talking about normal classic cards and not gold cards, CC issused by local bank or overseas bank is just the same to me. It's just a credit card
    where you can bring the goods out of the store first and pay later.
    As for local bank, their annual fee is way much cheaper than overseas bank,
    and customer service to me not much different. If you are talking about gold card, that would be a very very different story. I remember one incident when me and one of my engineer went to states a few years back. Sueh Sueh both of us pickpocketed. First instinct, call to terminate card and get a replacement right?
    Yeah the CSO in singapore told me they will send the replacement card to me in two weeks time!
    But the engineer whom own a gold card got his replacement card from the bank in the states in two hours time!!!!!!!!
    So i called again to see if i can get a replacement card here cos the bank is just opposite our hotel, their reply was no, the replacment card will be issue in singapore not in the states.

Hi CSers, which bank and credit card gives your money the most worth in your opinion?......
    That's a good one. Really.

Joking only ah! Don't get offended kay?

Hi CSers, which bank and credit card gives your money the most worth in your opinion? Enlighten me? And any that gives you 0% interest rate on hire purchase of cameras at any of the more popular shops like CP, MS etc.?

Thinking of getting one soon...but there are so many to choose from.
    Among the 3 local banks, DBS, UOB and OCBC, I choose UOB
    More priviledges over the other 2.
    (I disregard the annual fees when considering, if u like annual fees free card, get a Maybank...just use it even for a $2 purchase or $10....24 times and u get free annual fee)

If u travel overseas a lot, I suggest getting a HSBC, StanChart or Citibank Credit card.
    I have seen a lot of real life accounts of tourists who have their DBS or UOB cards "politely refused' in overseas like Japan..etc
    The local banks are not well known in other countries and the hotels may have doubts abt taking in such cards.

Some online websites even refuse to take payments from Singapore cards, cause it is deem to have a high fraud rate.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnlim
    If you talking about normal classic cards and not gold cards, CC issused by local bank or overseas bank is just the same to me. It's just a credit card
    where you can bring the goods out of the store first and pay later.
    As for local bank, their annual fee is way much cheaper than overseas bank,
    and customer service to me not much different. If you are talking about gold card, that would be a very very different story. I remember one incident when me and one of my engineer went to states a few years back. Sueh Sueh both of us pickpocketed. First instinct, call to terminate card and get a replacement right?
    Yeah the CSO in singapore told me they will send the replacement card to me in two weeks time!
    But the engineer whom own a gold card got his replacement card from the bank in the states in two hours time!!!!!!!!
    So i called again to see if i can get a replacement card here cos the bank is just opposite our hotel, their reply was no, the replacment card will be issue in singapore not in the states.
    What bank was the card issued?
    Was ur "normal card" and his "gold card" from the same bank?

Cause I think Citibank offers prompt card replacements even for "normal" cards.
    They seems to have a better service than most other card issuers, as I have heard several stories abt the good service from a lot of friends in the banking line.

Deregistered

Anybody using the Standard Chartered Manhatthan card?

how is it?
    in terms of perks, benefits...

Quote Originally Posted by markccm
    Anybody using the Standard Chartered Manhatthan card?

how is it?
    in terms of perks, benefits...
    suck...
    no anually fees and claim got cash back for the item u pay.
    Got no pts.

guess what. I got 4 cents back for a <$20 bill

Then the follow mth, I charge $550. I got $0 cash back.

suck! should use my HSBC, at least got pt.

Now that card is sitting somewhere inside my drawer

icestorm
    Guests

popular ones are

Citibank, Standchart, HSBC, UOB.

Any idea which bank has the lowest exchange rate when using the card overseas?

Quote Originally Posted by icestorm
    popular ones are

Citibank, Standchart, HSBC, UOB.

Any idea which bank has the lowest exchange rate when using the card overseas?
    The Exchange rate changes but is more or less the same across the banks.
    Maybe $0.00xx diff.
    Not a big diff unless u charge $10,000 or more.
    (Then again, if u can afford to charge 10k, u wont care for a few meagre $$ diff in exchange rate.)

on a Personal note....out of the 4 above...if I Have to choose ONLY 1, I will take Citibank.

just wondering, do they really check your salary? or do they close eye

(havent apply for any yet, but got freebies... )

hmmm I'm also wondering....
    some of the banks requires a min gross annual income of $45k or $48k to apply for a gold card.

Is this inclusive of employer's CPF Contribution (13%) ?

Quote Originally Posted by quekky
    just wondering, do they really check your salary? or do they close eye

(havent apply for any yet, but got freebies... )
    Believe me, they DO, my fren applied with annual income of $29,729
    less than $300 short of the $30,000 req for credit cards.

6 banks rejected it.
    Even though its only $200+ diff, they say they cannot violate the MAS regulations.

Quote Originally Posted by spitfire
    hmmm I'm also wondering....
    some of the banks requires a min gross annual income of $45k or $48k to apply for a gold card.

Is this inclusive of employer's CPF Contribution (13%) ?
    Gold is mostly 45k, but some "special" cards like Titaninum and Manhattan may need 48k

No it is not inclusive of EMPOLYER CPF. but it inculdes ur bonus and other benefits, like shift allowances, OT...etc (Excluding medical claims, transportations...etc)

Quote Originally Posted by Winston
    Believe me, they DO, my fren applied with annual income of $29,729
    less than $300 short of the $30,000 req for credit cards.

6 banks rejected it.
    Even though its only $200+ diff, they say they cannot violate the MAS regulations.
    this is very true for 1st time applicants.
    after few years, they will extend invitation to upgrade to gold or platinum card (provided if yr credit record is very good).

i did received invitations to upgrade to platinum but the fees are too high for me to justify.
    i would rather they increase my credit limit than extending the invitation to me.

many ppl apply CC to reflect their financial status, but inthe expanse of the high annual fees. worth it? i dont think so.
    i apply just for the sake of convenience and i use it when i needed it most.

Quote Originally Posted by Winston
    No it is not inclusive of EMPOLYER CPF. but it inculdes ur bonus and other benefits, like shift allowances, OT...etc (Excluding medical claims, transportations...etc)
    Tks.. normally how do they verify the bonus if it is performance based (variable) and its a new job?

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by therat
    suck...
    no anually fees and claim got cash back for the item u pay.
    Got no pts.

guess what. I got 4 cents back for a <$20 bill

Then the follow mth, I charge $550. I got $0 cash back.

suck! should use my HSBC, at least got pt.

Now that card is sitting somewhere inside my drawer
    really so bad as that ah?

sheez...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast