Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Thread: Just bought my 1st DSLcamera

  1. #1

    Default Just bought my 1st DSLcamera

    paid almost 2k for the Nikon D70 with the 18-70mm lens, plus a 3rd party spare battery, 512mb compact flash card, a cleaning kit and a bag.

    has been going around shooting like nobody's business (currently attending a basic course from SAFRA) anyway, planning to go Chinatown next monday to do some night shooting. Here's my question:

    do I need to get a flash? if so, can someone recommend one? (make sure not too expensive hor) by the way, is my current lens good enough, do I need to get som more?

  2. #2
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Planet Nikon
    Posts
    21,905

    Default

    This should belong into Nikon forum, then I can slowly poison you

    Basing your questions/queries on your shoot at Chinatown, I'd advise not to shoot with flash, pushing up ISO to get the ambient lighting at Chinatown would have a slight more punch to the images.

    If you want to get a flash, there's only the SB-600/SB-800 to consider, I won't consider others if I'm you .

    For starters & beginners, the AF-S 18-70DX is a pretty good len to start off your learning curve. Buy as you go along when you find you need it, else just give me your money.


    Don't let the NAS (BUY BUY BUY) get to you

    NOT!!!

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by espn
    This should belong into Nikon forum, then I can slowly poison you

    Basing your questions/queries on your shoot at Chinatown, I'd advise not to shoot with flash, pushing up ISO to get the ambient lighting at Chinatown would have a slight more punch to the images.

    If you want to get a flash, there's only the SB-600/SB-800 to consider, I won't consider others if I'm you .

    For starters & beginners, the AF-S 18-70DX is a pretty good len to start off your learning curve. Buy as you go along when you find you need it, else just give me your money.


    Don't let the NAS (BUY BUY BUY) get to you

    NOT!!!
    ok, thanks for the advise.

    think I'll hang around at the newbie corner for the time being, so that I can learn slowly without fearing of you poisoning me.

  4. #4
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Planet Nikon
    Posts
    21,905

    Default

    I'm a very harmless guy ask BeachBoy

    Anyway if you have questions and problems, do drop by NUG (do a search on "NUG" in nikon forum).

  5. #5

    Default

    ok, will do

    btw, what is NUG?
    Last edited by ck71; 3rd February 2005 at 02:15 PM.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    2,156

    Default

    so what lenses are u going to buy buy buy next?

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Yeo
    so what lenses are u going to buy buy buy next?
    base on espn's advise, I think I am going to just play around with my current lens 1st, save $ for later when/if I get better at photography....unless I strike toto, then I will buy buy buy.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ck71
    paid almost 2k for the Nikon D70 with the 18-70mm lens, plus a 3rd party spare battery, 512mb compact flash card, a cleaning kit and a bag.

    has been going around shooting like nobody's business (currently attending a basic course from SAFRA) anyway, planning to go Chinatown next monday to do some night shooting. Here's my question:

    do I need to get a flash? if so, can someone recommend one? (make sure not too expensive hor) by the way, is my current lens good enough, do I need to get som more?
    Welcome to Clubsnap

    Ask yourself, how do you find your shots ? Do you encounter any difficulties while shooting ? What kind of shots do you want to shoot in Chinatown ?
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Astin Studio
    Posts
    4,736

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ck71
    ok, will do

    btw, what is NUG?
    National Union of Gurus.

  10. #10
    Senior Member GENO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Teddy Bear Land
    Posts
    2,981

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ck71
    base on espn's advise, I think I am going to just play around with my current lens 1st, save $ for later when/if I get better at photography....unless I strike toto, then I will buy buy buy.
    what u need is a zoom lens too...get something like 70-300mm...( sigma or nikon) will be just nice for u... flash too, SB 800?

    Have u got a bag , and dry box? get those, u will need them....

    now its time for u to do some shooting... go join some outing , u will learn faster that way...dont be shy....
    Take both its legs down first, then cuts its tail, next is shoot between its eyes:devil:

  11. #11

    Default

    So you just got into photography and you have a new DSLR... you're learning alot abt photography and the equipment as you go along, and you'll be tempted to buy more and better lenses or equipment... so here's my advice, if you have money..don't go spending it all... make sure you have fully used what you have right now before you think about getting another piece of equipment... i've made that mistake and lost quite alot of money...so yeah, think about it.. =)
    if my camera is there at the right moment, click, all I have to do is accept it.
    -edouard boubat

  12. #12

    Default Nikon Users Group

    Quote Originally Posted by ck71
    ok, will do

    btw, what is NUG?
    Nikon Users Group.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Big Kahuna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    2,127

    Default

    Welcome to the dark side man

    Do you have a UV filter? Another item you should consider if you want to do night scene is Tripod

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Planet Eropagnis
    Posts
    2,944

    Default

    After the tripod, he might wanna consider getting a WA prime lens.

    Of cos, shooting the D70 is ok (I tried it), but den with no vertical grip, it does feel a little funny.

    U might wanna get another spare battery to go as well.

    gogogogo... What are u waiting for? BUY BUY BUY

  15. #15

    Default

    wah! so many things to buy ah? 70-300mm, dry box, flash, UV filter, tripod, WA prime lens........,(most of these thing I don't even know how to use or for what purpose) want to scare me off is it? I just started only, need so many items meh?

    I think I stick to what I have first lah, like I said, wait till I strike toto, then BUY! BUY! BUY!

    btw, if you guys got any photo outing, I would be glad to join, so don't forget me hor.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Central West
    Posts
    1,952

    Default

    Whatever you do, do get a dry cabinet to store your equipment in. You've paid a lot of money for your equipment and it's important to store them properly to prevent things like fungus in your lens(es).

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ck71
    most of these thing I don't even know how to use or for what purpose
    dats why u buy & learn its uses & purpose..

    if u going for nite shoot in chinatown.. u definately need a tripod.
    & if its a day shoot.. u might need filters (polariser & UV)

    then as things add on.. u will need a bigger bag...
    the shopping list just goes on & on & on... scary.

    photography is evil. dun start!

    the tagline for D70 should change to "i Bleed Apart" rather then A Breed Apart.

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ck71
    ok, thanks for the advise.

    think I'll hang around at the newbie corner for the time being, so that I can learn slowly without fearing of you poisoning me.
    beware of espn. he's actually the resident clubsnap BUY! BUY! BUY! evangelist


  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    GEYLAND LOR 15 LO
    Posts
    1,159

    Default

    Just buy a dry-box and a UV filter to protect your lens will do!
    Dun buy tripod, lenses and etc..
    Try to make full use of your camera and explore the possible with your existing lenses to find your shooting style.
    I seen too much of those newbies buying alot of stuff but in the end does not use it at all (coz they dun know what they want in the first place!).
    Learn the basis of photography is more imp!

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,095

    Default

    I agree that buying a lot of accessories can distract from learning/taking good photographs.

    IMHO, flashlights are overrated. They are good if you HAVE to get a picture in low light (think reporters), but it won't necessarily be a good picture. It is quite difficult to get decent lighting from a camera mounted flash. For fill-ins (like when taking pictures of people against the light) the small in-camera flash is usually sufficient.

    I consider a tripod more important, but it is only useful if you carry it with you when you need it. One can often improvise to substitute for it.

    My advice would be to buy only accessories once YOU discover a need for them (and not because marketing people try to talk you into it).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •