Thread: Question about Print Outs

Default Question about Print Outs

hi,

have a few questions abt print outs.

1. the aspect ratio of DSLRs(D70 in my case) is 3:2 is it? so does that mean if i wanna develop a 4R print, i would have to manually crop each pic?

2. for printing, lets say i wanna add fancy borders or wordings in the borders. and i use PS to create a 600 x 800 pixel image, it should print out exactly what i designed in PS right?or wrong?

what happened was :

i thought that since 4R is 4:6, so i fixed my canvas at that size and edited whatever stuff inside. but when i went to the lab(not a pro lab, just a normal FUJI film lab) he told me that due to paper shifts in the machine or something like that its not enough that the image is just 4:6 ratio. i need to leave some space for "buffer" like 2 to 4mm.

in the end, my borders were not balanced and i had to cut them off, in the end, my photo became less than 4R

did i do anything wrong?

Eerrmm I'm not an expert but isn't 3:2 x 2 = 4:6 the size of a 4R photo. I have printed several photos taken by my 300D in photo labs and I have never encounter any cropping in the prints. In fact the aspect ratio of 3:2 DSLR is the same as 35mm negative.

Hi wainism,

1. You bought the camera already? If not then you should do more research like reading the review in details at www.dpreview.com and it is a not so hard to find that review if you can find this forum. A 4R print is 4x6 inches, same ratio aspect with DSLR from Canon. Nikon, Minolta, Kodak currently.

2. To print exactly the same size, you have to print it on printers as most if not all the loading system for lab prints are bound to crop off a few mm on either the horizontal or vertical side of the print (depending on how what size of paper they are using).

Quote Originally Posted by wainism
    hi,

have a few questions abt print outs.

1. the aspect ratio of DSLRs(D70 in my case) is 3:2 is it? so does that mean if i wanna develop a 4R print, i would have to manually crop each pic?

2. for printing, lets say i wanna add fancy borders or wordings in the borders. and i use PS to create a 600 x 800 pixel image, it should print out exactly what i designed in PS right?or wrong?

what happened was :

i thought that since 4R is 4:6, so i fixed my canvas at that size and edited whatever stuff inside. but when i went to the lab(not a pro lab, just a normal FUJI film lab) he told me that due to paper shifts in the machine or something like that its not enough that the image is just 4:6 ratio. i need to leave some space for "buffer" like 2 to 4mm.

in the end, my borders were not balanced and i had to cut them off, in the end, my photo became less than 4R

did i do anything wrong?

You can still do whatever you want in the 6 x 4in canvas. At the end of all the post processing, just extend another 1mm all round. This should take care of the "bleeding-off " space as required by the machine

What you could do is to visit this lab at Stamdford House "Beautiful Memories", a fuji lab. The staff, especially the owner is a PS expert and you would learn a few tricks from him. Printing is done on the spot but you have to pay a premium as compared to other labs.

Just tell them what you want and they would usually do a test print for checking

I'm in no way related to this lab but just a satisfied customer
    Jerfotography Nikon D300
    Power by iMac MBP iPhone 6+ iPad Air

The cropping/bleeding of the sides is usually on 2 sides, not 4 sides. You have to know which way the photo paper is cut, for example on the 4R print is it cut on the 6" side or 4" side? If 6" side then the paper is rolled on the 4" side (you need to move the paper) and you need extra buffer on the 4" side (or the side which the paper is rolled on). So if the paper is cut on the 4" side, the paper is rolled on the 6" side and you will have to add buffer on the 6" side.

where is this stamford house?

and silly me, i forgot that 3:2 is same as 6:4..hahaha,damn dumb!

all along i thought idiot p&s gave the correct ratio

so its only when i wanna blow up to 5R etc, that i need to crop to the aspect ratio?

Quote Originally Posted by theITguy
    The cropping/bleeding of the sides is usually on 2 sides, not 4 sides. You have to know which way the photo paper is cut, for example on the 4R print is it cut on the 6" side or 4" side? If 6" side then the paper is rolled on the 4" side (you need to move the paper) and you need extra buffer on the 4" side (or the side which the paper is rolled on). So if the paper is cut on the 4" side, the paper is rolled on the 6" side and you will have to add buffer on the 6" side.

What I notice is it usually happen on the 6" side but I was advise to give a all round extra "border"
    Jerfotography Nikon D300

Quote Originally Posted by wainism
    where is this stamford house?

The old shop house behind the former Capitol Cinema along Stamford Road
    Jerfotography Nikon D300

You check with the boss Sanjay or something lah, lah time he organise a FujiFilm machine printing walkthrough with some of us, I attended it and he told us one, quite true about what he say.

alrighty, will send my next batch of photos there. thanks guys

Deregistered

wainism: I'm on ICQ now actually, if you have queries can ask me direct (provided my boss not looking from behind me :P )