Thread: Sunset @india desert

Cool Sunset @india desert

Original

Edited

1.in what area is critique to be sought?
    I would like feedback on the composition, exposure and the overall feeling of this picture.
    I have composed the picture this way because I thought it would be nice to place the sun in the middle of the camel and the man

I will like feedback on photography techniques.
    The following is the camera settings used to photograph this picture:
    Canon 600D 18-55mm lens on Av mode.
    iso 100 at 43mm f5.0 shutter 1/640s
    On Av mode I focused on the sun so that i can create shadow of the objects in front.

I will like feedback on post processing techniques.
    I added black to this picture in Light Room, just to get rid of the unnecessary details of the foreground.

Would like to ask if this is enough, or what else do you suggest?

2.what I hope to achieve with the piece of work?

I want to show the life of camel man.
    They depend on their camels for living as tourists pay to ride on the camels.

3.under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    I took this picture at about 5.30pm in India, was feeling quite high as I was excited, about everything around me.

4.what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    I think the composition of this picture should be okay, maybe the sun is not very well centralised, will be better if it is placed a bit more towards the man.
    And water bottle which the rider is holding, I find it a bit distracting as well.

I'm not a professional photographer, photography is more of a hobby and passion for me as I'm still a student. Any comments and feedback are welcomed

Default Re: Sunset @india desert

Nice shot especially on the color and the moment.
    It feels to me that if you try to use telephoto lens with zoom in to have a larger sun, the whole picture may feels more dramatic.

The 2 pics are like a diabolical game of spot the difference. When the non-edited and edited only have a slight or minute difference, there is no need to present the former. Usually people do not include non-edited pics, unless they are not sure of their extensive DI. You only added black in a 3 tone image, so I think you should be confident. Bottle can be easily edited away.

Picture has value, but can be better. Most attention is gathered by the brightest object, the sun, then the largest object the camel and riders. Interest is not in the camel man/woman.

If the subject is about where you are, then you need more negative space. Zoom out for a wider angle, let us see the surroundings to get a feel how vast the land is. Ideal situation is a empty horizon with only the silhouettes, it's a common image.

If emphasis is on the camel man then best angle would be directly in front of him. Mid wide angle with large aperture. Sun raking past for intense colour and contrast. That will best show who he is and what he's doing.

Quote Originally Posted by foxtwo
    The 2 pics are like a diabolical game of spot the difference. When the non-edited and edited only have a slight or minute difference, there is no need to present the former. Usually people do not include non-edited pics, unless they are not sure of their extensive DI. You only added black in a 3 tone image, so I think you should be confident. Bottle can be easily edited away.

Picture has value, but can be better. Most attention is gathered by the brightest object, the sun, then the largest object the camel and riders. Interest is not in the camel man/woman.

If the subject is about where you are, then you need more negative space. Zoom out for a wider angle, let us see the surroundings to get a feel how vast the land is. Ideal situation is a empty horizon with only the silhouettes, it's a common image.

If emphasis is on the camel man then best angle would be directly in front of him. Mid wide angle with large aperture. Sun raking past for intense colour and contrast. That will best show who he is and what he's doing.
    Thank you very much for your valuable comment. Sometimes when I shoot, I didnt really think of what I want to show, its more of point at interesting things and just press the shutter. I guess it will turn out better if I had a clearer idea of what I want to capture.

Quote Originally Posted by robinlxz
    Nice shot especially on the color and the moment.
    It feels to me that if you try to use telephoto lens with zoom in to have a larger sun, the whole picture may feels more dramatic.
    Yeah i agree on that too, then I will have orange filling up the entire sky. Have not thought of that before. Thanks!

It is a perfect picture. Don't change anything, keep the bottle too.
    Camel men (lead!) depend on their camels, as tourists (bottle!) pay ....etc.
    Theme and picture fit.
    Jan
    Last edited by jankap; 10th September 2012 at 03:52 PM.

Good saturation adjustment....u could try shifting the subjects to the right side n leave the left side to be empty to create a dramatic scene... Can create a vast space for viewers to imagine the distance the need to travel..another good way is to shoot from the back.framing them to the sides showingv the journey ahead

Great composition~ to make it more interesting, maybe you can make the star burst on the sun?
    Canon 60D | And Legs as Lens to cover every single focal length i ever needs.