Thread: canon 24L f/1.4 or 35L f/1.4 for travel?

Default canon 24L f/1.4 or 35L f/1.4 for travel?

dear all,

like to purchase 1of them as per above for traveling purposes for families photos (not for close up) ; currently using 5D2.

thanks in advance.

Default Re: canon 24L f/1.4 or 35L f/1.4 for travel?

Quote Originally Posted by foofoo View Post
    dear all,

like to purchase 1of them as per above for traveling purposes for families photos (not for close up) ; currently using 5D2.

thanks in advance.
    You'd have to be more careful with people placement on the 24mm when it comes to the corners. Having said that, the 24L is my favourite one lens solution for my 5d2 if I go for short trips with friends and family. The bit of wideness gives more creative shooting opportunities for buildings and landscapes as well.

Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by giantcanopy View Post
    You'd have to be more careful with people placement on the 24mm when it comes to the corners. Having said that, the 24L is my favourite one lens solution for my 5d2 if I go for short trips with friends and family. The bit of wideness gives more creative shooting opportunities for buildings and landscapes as well.

Ryan
    thanks for the input..

when i travel, i usually shoot the sights i.e. landscapes, streets, buildings - and i do not really shoot my family/friends who im traveling with.. so in that case, i'd take along the 24mm - however, if ur main purpose is to take pictures of people, ur family etc, i'd suggest u go for the 35mm - as Ryan said above, u need to be careful when shooting people photos with the 24mm
    Check out my blog: pixelogist.me

Quote Originally Posted by heshanj View Post
    when i travel, i usually shoot the sights i.e. landscapes, streets, buildings - and i do not really shoot my family/friends who im traveling with.. so in that case, i'd take along the 24mm - however, if ur main purpose is to take pictures of people, ur family etc, i'd suggest u go for the 35mm - as Ryan said above, u need to be careful when shooting people photos with the 24mm
    my thoughts exactly. but I will take a UWA that covers the favorite UW focal range and the classic 35mm - which means 16-35L or 17-40L

many thanks for all by giving your point of views on this subject, appreciate it.

i pick 35L

Opt for 35L

24L
    Because it is more difficult to use but since you are on holiday so you will have the frame of mind to deal with it. Scenery also easier.

For travel, I would suggest zoom lenses (sorry don't know your preference or shooting style so just suggesting in general). The kit 24-105 comes to mind (but I carry 17-40, Sigma50 and 70-200f4).
    During travel, I feel usually need to be very flexible, and find myself switching between wide-angle and telephoto quite often too. If you only want either of the two, then 24L would be my pick to get more out of the landscape (and since you're already aware of the closeup distortion issue).
    Picture technologist
    Flickr Homepage

35L for landscape is not that bad if u are shooting from far .... unless u want to shoot close up of the landscape.

Blog Entries

For me, when travelling, zooms is the way to go.