Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345813 ... LastLast

Thread: Apple vs Samsung

Default Re: Apple vs Samsung

Quote Originally Posted by keiser View Post
    What is the difference between seeking inspiration for its design and ripping people's idea & inventions in your view?
    IMO adapting people's good ideas so that it becomes sufficiently different from the original, hopefully in a better & advantageous way is genuine innovation. Of course this is very subjective as this whole thread has shown.

In my view, the initial galaxy phones slavishly copied not just the physical form (not just in terms of shape, all the way down to the minimalist styling of the front - the silver rim, the single physical button, the black bezels on the top & bottom of the screen), but software interface as well (the similarly designed squarish icons with rounded corners - some even with nearly identical symbols & colour scheme, the way they arrayed the icons on the home screen etc). You would notice that Apple's exhibits also showed how other handphone manufacturers that designed their software differently & that only the Samsung "designs" could be plausibly mistaken for Apple's.

Apple is not beyond copying other people, but I would like to think that at least they properly compensate the original innovators for their effort in R&D - note the previous examples cited abt the Mac OS & Xerox. Even the previous gen iPhone 4s flagship feature - Siri - was bought from another smaller independent developer.

From this article Similarity of Apple and Samsung Icons "Beyond Coincidental" - John Paczkowski - Mobile - AllThingsD
    Quote:
    Called as a paid witness for Apple, Susan Kare, a graphic designer who created the original icons for Apple’s first Macintosh and Microsoft’s Solitaire game cards, testified Tuesday that the application screens on some 11 Samsung smartphones are “substantially similar” to the iPhone display described in Apple’s ’305 patent, right down to the photo-realistic sunflower that appears in the iPhone’s camera app icon.
    UnQuote
    Last edited by ricohflex; 28th August 2012 at 08:43 PM.

I cannot believe what I am reading.
    Ok, stop looking at the galaxy vs iPhone design.
    Look at the samsung charger, the sync/charger cable, the packaging, the store, the smart cover for galaxy tab,.... So who's copying who?

It's not design from inspiration. It's almost like shanzai copy wholesale. Samsung any better than any PRC phone company? At least Xiaomi phone is more original. Meizu who started off as shanzai iPhone now has their own design language which is more respectable.

And I respect LG more than Samsung. At least they didn't copy.

I underestimated the no. Of Sammy fanboys here. There are really so many. Wow!
    E-M5 | O12-50 | O45/1.8 | P14/2.5 | O40-150 R | O17/1.8
    Metz 32CT7 | Flux Capacitor

Quote Originally Posted by milez View Post
    I hate samsung. But I hate competition by litigation even more.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by milez
    I cannot believe what I am reading.
    Ok, stop looking at the galaxy vs iPhone design.
    Look at the samsung charger, the sync/charger cable, the packaging, the store, the smart cover for galaxy tab,.... So who's copying who?

It's not design from inspiration. It's almost like shanzai copy wholesale. Samsung any better than any PRC phone company? At least Xiaomi phone is more original. Meizu who started off as shanzai iPhone now has their own design language which is more respectable.

And I respect LG more than Samsung. At least they didn't copy.

I'm not pro Samsung. But am certainly anti apple. They have some good products, but have the worst fan boys and I hate the company 's attitude towards customers.
    Dxxxx | 35/1.8 | 50/1.8 | Tokina 28-70 | Panny G1 | 14-45 | 25/1.7
    My Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae

I hate samsung. But I hate competition by litigation even more.
    What do you do if someone decided to copy your product wholesale? Litigation is a legal option.

Quote Originally Posted by fmeeran

I'm not pro Samsung. But am certainly anti apple. They have some good products, but have the worst fan boys and I hate the company 's attitude towards customers.
    While I'm not a apple hater, I'm not exactly a fanboy. But I did have good CS experience from the Apple store I visited in HK. Care to elaborate what you hate about their attitude towards customers?

Quote Originally Posted by fmeeran View Post
    fanboys are everywhere, you can even find hardcore Canon/ Nikon fanboys in DPreview forums
    Fujifilm X-Pro2 Graphite, X-Pro1
    XF 14/2.8, 18/2, 23/2, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 60/2.4, 55-200/3.5-4.8

Quote Originally Posted by fmeeran

But the trial is not abt which company u love more. I can't understand most of the comments here defending Samsung. If u have read up on the details that has come out during the trial abt how Samsung engineers n execs debated over which Apple features to copy n which ones to fudge so they don't look so apple-like, there can be no doubt who is in the wrong here.

There's no doubt Samsung has already began the process of moving to differentiate their products more. But I'm sure the legal pressure had a lot to do with it. The fact still remains that Samsung did steal. They may make good phones (which is another conversation) but stealing should not be condoned!

will the hardcore Apple Fanboys tone down. NO ONE stole anything. they just copied. and copying is the best form of flattery

BTW, Apple did steal technologies and patents. they just bought it later to cover the tracks.

and buying doesn't absolve one from the past act of stealing.

Alpha

I quite agree with this article -> Must smartphones be similar to iPhone to sell? | ZDNet

I wonder whether Nokia decided to go with Windows Phone instead of Andriod because it does not want to be a Apple look-alike.

Quote Originally Posted by Eng Hoe View Post
    I quite agree with this article -> Must smartphones be similar to iPhone to sell? | ZDNet

I wonder whether Nokia decided to go with Windows Phone instead of Andriod because it does not want to be a Apple look-alike.
    No, because Nokia was struggling and Microsoft PAID THEM to use windows phone exclusively for their high-end smartphones.
    Alpha

"There are no mistakes, only lessons. Growth is a process of trials and errors."

Blog Entries

iPhone phones for me but Samsung SMART TV for me.....

My views ...

1. Base on what your description, it sounds like ... "seeking inspiration for its design = ripping off + improved on what was being ripped off" ... which some does it more while others does it less?

2. Physical form? Do you find led/lcd TVs for example to be very different in their basic shapes and forms? In other words, how do you want a flat screen to look different in terms of shape or forms? I believe the innovation is making them thinner, brighter, larger, lighter and more energy efficient and other areas etc. Btw, why is Apple making smaller iPads besides making iphone with bigger screen?

3. Color scheme, symbols and corners? I believe many can tell the difference between the 2 brands and consumers do not own Samsung devices because it looks like an Apple but for other reasons.

4. Software interface? I think you have to ask Google on that one?

Quote Originally Posted by stuck View Post
    IMO adapting people's good ideas so that it becomes sufficiently different from the original, hopefully in a better & advantageous way is genuine innovation. Of course this is very subjective as this whole thread has shown.

In my view, the initial galaxy phones slavishly copied not just the physical form (not just in terms of shape, all the way down to the minimalist styling of the front - the silver rim, the single physical button, the black bezels on the top & bottom of the screen), but software interface as well (the similarly designed squarish icons with rounded corners - some even with nearly identical symbols & colour scheme, the way they arrayed the icons on the home screen etc). You would notice that Apple's exhibits also showed how other handphone manufacturers that designed their software differently & that only the Samsung "designs" could be plausibly mistaken for Apple's.

Apple is not beyond copying other people, but I would like to think that at least they properly compensate the original innovators for their effort in R&D - note the previous examples cited abt the Mac OS & Xerox. Even the previous gen iPhone 4s flagship feature - Siri - was bought from another smaller independent developer.
    Last edited by keiser; 28th August 2012 at 12:44 PM.

Of course you can choose hiding behind the patent as an option or continue to out innovate your competitors (unless you think can't anymore)?

What do you do if someone decided to copy your product wholesale? Litigation is a legal option.

While I'm not a apple hater, I'm not exactly a fanboy. But I did have good CS experience from the Apple store I visited in HK. Care to elaborate what you hate about their attitude towards customers?
    Good to hear that you have CS experience from the HK Apple Store, because I don't despite owning many Apple stuffs for a long time

I wonder if they will start something on ultra books versus MBA next.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345813 ... LastLast