Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Conned at hardwarezone

Quote Originally Posted by tamade
    Let us all look back to tsdh's first thread. These are the 2 important points he raised. Of course we're only listening to his side of the story for now. Since we don't have the other side's story. So inorder to listen to both sides's story, the best way is to meet up & talk it out.

If the seller is not a cheat, he has no reasons or fears not to answer calls or not to agree to meet up. Anyone would be eager to prove his integrity & honesty by meeting up to clear up any misunderstanding, unless that person has the intentions to cheat.

I think a lot of suggestions had been given, ultimately you call the shots, since you're the one who paid for the stuffs.

Perhaps you could test all the parts again. The simplest & free way to verify is to seek help from a friend/relative who has a working PC, you just need to swap the parts 1 by 1 to check if they work. Best is you have a spare working PC to test with.

Once confirm, go to the seller's home & try to talk to him nicely & see his response. If he refuses to honor his deal & promises, then just go straight to the police. If he does honor, then close the matter.

Its really up to you to decide what to do.

very good suggestion tamade, all points are mention, is up to you to make the ball rolling, solve the misunderstanding soft which is the top priorty dont get into a fight if the person seems botherless, than give him hard...report to police

I would call him up and threaten to make a police report unless he settles the matter first. Sometimes the threat of lodging a report is as good as making the report itself. Good luck mate

Quote Originally Posted by Nexus
    I could be wrong but I believe the police will not be investigating this kind of case. To them, it is a minor dispute between 2 parties, and probably will not be classified as cheat as mentioned. You would probably be referred to the small claims tribunal, or asked to sue.
    unless u got recipt issue by him.

Did he issue you a recipt?
    Which I don't think so.....

Actually I've bought lots of stuff from people advertising in HWZ - laptop, display cards, monitors, router etc etc. So far no problem leh. Some more got free delivery. Heh.

Must admit though that hard disks and motherboard I prefer to buy new. Some things just don't make sense to buy used.

Thanks for all of your advises.
    I called the seller again, but he gave many reasons again and refused to meet or refund.
    So last Friday evening I went to the seller's address to verify whether he gave a genuine address or not. But nobody answer the door, altough I was very sure that there is people inside (some noises of people walking and closing doors, and the light was on). As it is a condo, then I checked with the security guard, whether such name exist, and I found out the correct unit number.
    On Sunday morning (I presume that this guy is a night-owl, would not go out early on Sunday) I went to his house again without any prior notice, directly go up to his unit and knock the door. Finally he opened the door, and I politely talked to him. After some talking here and there, he gave me a refund.
    So the case was closed, I got my money back.
    And just one hour later, I saw the same hardwares were advertised again in hwz, by different nickname.......

happy for you that things turned out good.

in general, things like CPU are very hard to test. same goes for the more complicated stuff like laptops. such things its better to buy new. but for simpler things like thumbdrive, one stick of ram, then the risk is less

Quote Originally Posted by scud
    happy for you that things turned out good.
    yeah... but after one month of almost everyday phone calls, and minor investigation which lead to the sellers correct name and address. Otherwise, I'm sure it would be a sad end.

vince123123
    Guests

he actually gave you his address n real name knowing he was out to cheat?? hehe :P

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123
    he actually gave you his address n real name knowing he was out to cheat?? hehe :P
    A honest conned man
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

Blog Entries

think u can post to HWZ mods and ask them to blacklist this seller. they will do it, as i see them warning people of this 'crystallight@hotmail.com' e-mail seller.
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123
    No, he didn't.
    I found out his name after researching from other sources, including the web, based on his cellphone number. (Lucky for me, this guy also posted some other ads on other websites with several contact names. And tracing the uid history showed that he changed his phone number several times during the past 2 years). This is like assembling puzzle pieces together.
    I really praise the power of internet search engine.

Well, if he did not have any intention to cheat, he will settle fast, without so many reasons until I found his whereabout and came to his front door without invitation. And I would not post this thread too.

Quote Originally Posted by nightwolf75
    think u can post to HWZ mods and ask them to blacklist this seller. they will do it, as i see them warning people of this 'crystallight@hotmail.com' e-mail seller.
    Blacklisting is useless, as people easily register new nickname with different email address.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tsdh
    Blacklisting is useless, as people easily register new nickname with different email address.
    true. but better dan doing nothing abt this cheat, i guess? else, do like wat some HWZ users do - post a 'Beware' notice and hotlink the ad to ur notice.
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

Quote Originally Posted by nightwolf75
    true. but better dan doing nothing abt this cheat, i guess? else, do like wat some HWZ users do - post a 'Beware' notice and hotlink the ad to ur notice.
    I guess nothing useful I can do beside a message "buyers beware".
    Hotlinking to the ad is not possible, because the seller had removed the ad as soon as he sold the item.
    The best measures I guess, is to add new rule to HWZ buy-sell forum:
    Seller should agree to provide buyer with a standard receipt form printed from HWZ.
    Then encourage buyer to buy only from seller who able to comply to that rule.
    Altough this kind of measure will not totally prevent a fraud, but it will reduce its occurence.

Ok, I would suggest that you can call him and tell him to refund you. If not, you will go and report police. Tell him that his hp number will give his identity away. See whether he scared or not.

Is he local or from overseas? Overseas better still, say that his work permit will be affected and that he will not be allowed to work in singapore again.

Quote Originally Posted by icer
    Ok, I would suggest that you can call him and tell him to refund you. If not, you will go and report police. Tell him that his hp number will give his identity away. See whether he scared or not.
    Is he local or from overseas? Overseas better still, say that his work permit will be affected and that he will not be allowed to work in singapore again.
    Thanks for your suggestion, anyway the case had been resolved. Please read the previous messages in this thread.
    Well, before the case was closed, I had told him that I will report the case to police, but seems as that did not deter him. This guy is a local.

vince123123
    Guests

well done, next time I need such detective work I know who to look for hehe

Quote Originally Posted by tsdh
    No, he didn't.
    I found out his name after researching from other sources, including the web, based on his cellphone number. (Lucky for me, this guy also posted some other ads on other websites with several contact names. And tracing the uid history showed that he changed his phone number several times during the past 2 years). This is like assembling puzzle pieces together.
    I really praise the power of internet search engine.

Well, if he did not have any intention to cheat, he will settle fast, without so many reasons until I found his whereabout and came to his front door without invitation. And I would not post this thread too.

Congrats man

I hope your case can be a good learning experience for many of us out here in the cyber world.

A few lessons learnt:

The internet is a powerful tool which we can harness either for good or bad usages. Like your case, the guy made use of the internet in attempt to make a quick buck but you used the internet & cornered him instead.

We must never let cheaters have their way(s). While some people had chosen to accept the blame of being cheater, we must never give up any hope in seeking redress for ourselves.

Lastly, trade with caution on the internet!

Happy Chinese New Year guys! May the year of rooster bring us peace & prosperity

I think you should report to the admin about this nick or person so he is stop for cheating others. Then you can file a case at the police station you maybe this will have but do warn him before you do anythings give a 2-3days to return everything in peace if not you carry on what you are planning to do
    Favouritism | Design + Lifestyle + Art

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12