Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What camera to buy?

Default Re: What camera to buy?

Not sure about Pentax..But Not only entry level for Sony. Current DSLRs from them (all) has Built in image stabilization. Thats why you cant find IS in all their lenses. Meaning to say 1 thing for sure is. You dont have to worry whether to buy a lens with IS/VR or not in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by zenga View Post
    As at now I am considering

1) Nikon J1/2 (dunno 2 is available or not)
    2) Sony Nex 5N
    3) Panasonic G1X/3/5
    4) Entry level DSLR

Any recommendatiosn for Entry level DSLR so that I can go to some shops to take a look?

Thanks.
    Suggest U wait for NEX 5R or NEX 6... Phase Detection AF Sensor, better for fast moving AF capturing... Should be out by Sept... Just a few more weeks. U can google around for the specs of them... Cheers.
    Sony A7/ Sigma 19-2.8 E/ CV 35-1.7 ASPH/ FE 55-1.8/ MC Rokkor 58-1.2/ Pentax SMC K 135-2.5

Quote Originally Posted by TWmilkteaTW View Post
    Not sure about Pentax..But Not only entry level for Sony. Current DSLRs from them (all) has Built in image stabilization. Thats why you cant find IS in all their lenses. Meaning to say 1 thing for sure is. You dont have to worry whether to buy a lens with IS/VR or not in the future.
    Ok thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Thoth View Post
    Suggest U wait for NEX 5R or NEX 6... Phase Detection AF Sensor, better for fast moving AF capturing... Should be out by Sept... Just a few more weeks. U can google around for the specs of them... Cheers.
    I need the camera for my Oct trip Hopefully I have some time to play with the camera

Pentax cameras all have image stabilisation built-in (they call it shake reduction - SR). Added bonus for Pentax is that all their dSLRs (k-5, k-7, k-30) besides the previous generation entry level (k-r) are weather resistant (when paired with a weather resistant lens of course).

I need the camera for my Oct trip Hopefully I have some time to play with the camera
    Just nice... Sept will be the time for d launch of this new NEX cameras...
    Sony A7/ Sigma 19-2.8 E/ CV 35-1.7 ASPH/ FE 55-1.8/ MC Rokkor 58-1.2/ Pentax SMC K 135-2.5

Quote Originally Posted by stuck View Post
    Pentax cameras all have image stabilisation built-in (they call it shake reduction - SR). Added bonus for Pentax is that all their dSLRs (k-5, k-7, k-30) besides the previous generation entry level (k-r) are weather resistant (when paired with a weather resistant lens of course).
    Thanks for the clarifications. I drool over Pentax's built in SR and weather resistance, however am too deeply invested in canon system to change (not that I'm unhappy with the system)
    Do note that Sony NEX does not have image stabilisation built into it's sensor hee...

Thoongeng,

you are already very helpful. I also read that some brands has built in stabiliser, just that most people I talk to recomend Nikon or Canon for DSLR. But I am just a newbie photographer so I need all the help the camera can give me. So the stabilisation thing from Pentax and Sony Entry level dslr sounds attractive.

Sorry for asking another newbie question.

Oh yah COMEX is coming, hope I can find time to go there and look see look see.

Thanks
    you're welcome. Canon and Nikon are the overwhelming majority in the DSLR that's why those come to mind first. Only after reading around the forum did I find out about the other underdogs' strengths in the entry to mid level DSLR market. However from what I know for Pentax there's no full-frame system to upgrade to currently (unless you wanna jump straight to medium format haha)

Hi PinHoleCam,

where did you get your G5, I been calling a few shops like Alan Photo and Cathay Photo and both said G5 is not for sale yet. And may I know what price did you pay for it.

2) Sony Nex 5N
    3) Panasonic G1X/3/5
    4) Entry level DSLR

Thanks.

I have a G3, not a G5

Just note that some of your choices listed above, either don't have as fast AF or don't have a selection of fast primes for lower light situations. You can bump up the ISO for those of course to make up at the trade-off in picture quality (tolerance to it is personal)

Entry level DSLRs, some have more features/functions than others. You will need to research them in detail.
    G3/5 sits somewhere above many of these entry DSLRs in terms of features and performance.
    The only real drawback is low light ability and IQ due to the smaller sensor size (but generally its really good enough in most situations)

The Pentax K30 for example is pretty well featured for a lower end DSLR with 100% viewfinder; weather sealing; in-camera shake reduction; etc (the first 2 features are usually not given to entry level cameras).
    The others who are more familiar with other brands may fill you in on other DSLRs.
    Last edited by pinholecam; 23rd August 2012 at 08:00 AM.

save up abit more , get the OM-D
    OLYMPUS OM-D | Olympus Imaging
    Olympus OM-D E-M5 Review: Digital Photography Review

Olympus OM-D E-M5 specification highlights:

16MP MOS Four Thirds format sensor
    Weather-sealed body
    Twin control dials
    New, '5-axis' image stabilization
    Shoot at up to ISO 25,600
    Up to 9fps shooting (4.2 fps with continuous AF)
    800x600 pixel (1.44M dot) LCD electronic viewfinder
    VGA-equivalent 3" OLED touchscreen display - tilts 80 upwards and 50 downwards
    Latest TruePic VI processor
    Improved C-AF autofocus with 3D tracking
    Flash sync speed up to 1/250th sec
    tons of lens

the af is fast
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-WLvEvqMZE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICfJNokJhMo

2) Sony Nex 5N
    3) Panasonic G1X/3/5
    4) Entry level DSLR

Any recommendatiosn for Entry level DSLR so that I can go to some shops to take a look?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Errz; 23rd August 2012 at 08:10 AM.

Thoongeng,

seriously I am getting "more and more confused" with so many brands and model

Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    I have a G3, not a G5

Just note that some of your choices listed above, either don't have as fast AF or don't have a selection of fast primes for lower light situations. You can bump up the ISO for those of course to make up at the trade-off in picture quality (tolerance to it is personal)

Entry level DSLRs, some have more features/functions than others. You will need to research them in detail.
    G3/5 sits somewhere above many of these entry DSLRs in terms of features and performance.
    The only real drawback is low light ability and IQ due to the smaller sensor size (but generally its really good enough in most situations)

The Pentax K30 for example is pretty well featured for a lower end DSLR with 100% viewfinder; weather sealing; in-camera shake reduction; etc (the first 2 features are usually not given to entry level cameras).
    The others who are more familiar with other brands may fill you in on other DSLRs.
    Thanks. Seems that Pentax give rather good features from the comments I gather so far. But it has one drawback which I do not really like. When it come to video recording it is not the usual one-button system, and it cannot take stills picture when video recording is on Other than that it is a wonderful camera

[QUOTE=Errz;8081814]save up abit more , get the OM-D
    Olympus OM-D E-M5 specification highlights:

16MP MOS Four Thirds format sensor
    Weather-sealed body
    Twin control dials
    New, '5-axis' image stabilization
    Shoot at up to ISO 25,600
    Up to 9fps shooting (4.2 fps with continuous AF)
    800x600 pixel (1.44M dot) LCD electronic viewfinder
    VGA-equivalent 3" OLED touchscreen display - tilts 80 upwards and 50 downwards
    Latest TruePic VI processor
    Improved C-AF autofocus with 3D tracking
    Flash sync speed up to 1/250th sec
    tons of lens

the af is fast

Nice Camera. But seems a bit too advanced for me.

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    Perhaps consider reading some of the sticky threads at the top of the Newbies Corner, which would give you a clearer idea of what is out there in the market.

1) How to choose a camera (the sensor format method)

2) FAQ: What DSLR camera to buy?

The choices are quite bewildering, and there will likely be even more choices in the near future Good and bad for a confused newbie, I suppose

Ultimately, I think you just have to shortlist some, and pick one. Can't really go too far wrong with that. It will likely not be the first and last 'advanced' camera you'll own, so don't sweat the decision too much.
    Hi ZerocoolAstra,

Thanks for the link to the 2 very informative threads on cameras.
    After reading the given threads, im sure by now, you should have an idea on what type of camera you want.

For travelling, it wise to get mirrorless cam due to it small, compact and light, unless of coz, u dont mind lugging heavy DSLR.

If you opt for mirrorless.. go for Sony NEX, Samsung NX, Olympus Pen, Panasonic G series or for new entry level DSLR.. you can go for Nikon D3200, Canon 650D, Sony A57 or Pentax K30.. All within your budget.
    As other mentioned.. all these cameras are good and capable cam, they have pros and cons over the others.. Read their reviews, shortlist them, go to the mall and hands on, see which one fit in your hand and get that..

If still confuse.. get Sony RX100 or Panasonic LX7
    ~PeaceNoWar~

Quote Originally Posted by intrance View Post
    After reading the given threads, im sure by now, you should have an idea on what type of camera you want.

For travelling, it wise to get mirrorless cam due to it small, compact and light, unless of coz, u dont mind lugging heavy DSLR.

If you opt for mirrorless.. go for Sony NEX, Samsung NX, Olympus Pen, Panasonic G series or for new entry level DSLR.. you can go for Nikon D3200, Canon 650D, Sony A57 or Pentax K30.. All within your budget.
    As other mentioned.. all these cameras are good and capable cam, they have pros and cons over the others.. Read their reviews, shortlist them, go to the mall and hands on, see which one fit in your hand and get that..

If still confuse.. get Sony RX100 or Panasonic LX7
    thumbsup

Thanks. Seems that Pentax give rather good features from the comments I gather so far. But it has one drawback which I do not really like. When it come to video recording it is not the usual one-button system, and it cannot take stills picture when video recording is on Other than that it is a wonderful camera
    To keep things simple, just get the G5

AF in video is not as fantastic as you think on all the DSLR/MILC anyway (not that fast and shifty)
    My cousin is with Reuters Japan and he uses a 5DII (somewhat the industry standard) and it has no AF during video, so its all MF only.

I vote Sony NEX for all rounder performance relative to price. A 2nd hand NEX 3/5 is really good enough for your needs actually, I feel
    hi

Here is my contribution to the TS to make it more confusing. I have tried many PnS so this is all based on actual experience.

1. m4/3 sensors do not have good dynamic range, but the AF is excellent. If you are to buy into these cameras, my suggestion is that you learn how to fill-flash to compensate in situations where one side of the image is bright and the other dark e.g. taking a picture next to a window or where the light is above the subject causing shadows. In such situations, if you are to meter incorrectly, you get washed out highlights. Factor in the Olympus FL-36 flash and an omni-bouce equivalent as the flash makes a great addition to make the camera far more usable. Because of the poor dynamic range relative to APS sized sensors, I gave up on this as an option. This system has some really top notch lenses. If you really have to buy the GX1, get it with the zoom, 20mm and the FL-35 flash and omni-bouce equivalent.

2. Sony Nex is excellent too as the zoom lens is really good and AF more than decent. The downside with this camera is with the inability to use external flash i.e. the external flash options for the Nex 3 or 5 series is rubbish. You simply cannot do good bounce flash photography with this setup. The Nex 7 is something else as it has a hotshoe, but I gave this a skip as it was too big for an every day carry around camera. I would only recommend the 5N with the kit zoom as this will more than suffice. Flash wise, carve up a pig pong ball and use it diffuse the kit flash.

3. RX100. This is at best an upgrade from the small sensor cameras and the image quality isn't as good as compared to the APS sized sensors. My wife loves it for the portability, but I hate it as the photography experience is just lacking. I would still place the image quality if this camera over m4/3 cameras, but if you get the external flash with an omnibounce, the m4/3 option will be better.

4. Fuji X100. This is a really really really good camera, the high ISO capability is just astonishing, sharp lens, viewfinder ability to shoot up close makes this camera so versatile. The only downside to this camera is that if you are not trained to shoot at one focal length, you will not like it. I would bring this camera for my holidays without hesitation, but will bring along a camera with a zoom, like the RX100 to compensate for situations where a need some flexibility with zooms is required. The down side is that the AF can hunt a bit.

There are other PnS equivalent. I would skip the G1X, a horrible camera with really bad AF and equally bad plasticky feel. There is the Sigma DP series, but not for indoor shooting although the image quality is astonishing. The GXR would not be a good addition unless if you are shooting with the M mount module. The 28 and 50 mm modules are fine, but AF can be a challenge. Small sensor cameras like the LX7 and S100 are not good in the high ISO department, so give these a skip with the budget you have. Leica X2, my favourite PnS, but not one I would recommend unless you are into Leica and Zeiss lenses. I stayed clear of the Samsung camera because of the low resale value, but hear good comments about the 30mm and nice colours.

One more thing about buying cameras. You mentioned about going to Alan Photo. My advice to you is to find out the best price from this forum for the camera you like, then buy from the shop only if the price is close to it. DO NOT buy filters or ANY accessory until you have an idea of the actual price. Most important advice, skip Sim Lim Square and Orchard Road when buying cameras.

Blog Entries

TS, my vote goes to the OMD... forget the complex terminology, the G3 G5 and other cameras all have the same kind of technical spec sheets. But what you need to know is that OMD is also m43, and it sports one of the fastest autofocus ever seen on a m43 camera, and it has very good high ISO capability to boot. It is about as complex as the GX1 or G3/G5.

To give you the lay person view of the OMD, here is a video review..

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    TS, my vote goes to the OMD... forget the complex terminology, the G3 G5 and other cameras all have the same kind of technical spec sheets. But what you need to know is that OMD is also m43, and it sports one of the fastest autofocus ever seen on a m43 camera, and it has very good high ISO capability to boot. It is about as complex as the GX1 or G3/G5.

To give you the lay person view of the OMD, here is a video review..

for me, i second what DD123 says. focusing is really fast and accurate, and if all you want is to snap fast, and not too nit-picky about image quality, the OM-D is for you

Thanks all for your valuable feedback.

Lol I am getting really confuse now

1) Sony Nex - inability to use external flash
    2) Panasonic G3/5
    3) Olympus OM-D - focusing is really fast and accurate, and if all you want is to snap fast, and not too nit-picky about image quality, the OM-D is for you
    4) Fuji X100 - high ISO capability is just astonishing, sharp lens, viewfinder ability to shoot up close makes this camera so versatile. The only downside to this camera is that if you are not trained to shoot at one focal length, you will not like it.
    5) Skip shop in Orchard and Sim Lim

I just have a few question regarding the above models.

1) Which camera are able to take still when in video mode?
    2) For me video recording is also important when I purchase a camera
    3) Able to do the necessary auto adjustment when taking photos for different environment and subjects
    4) Is external flash a impt accessories?

Thanks for all your time.
    Last edited by zenga; 24th August 2012 at 09:35 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast