Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 38 of 38

Thread: Know you way

  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    sing
    Posts
    3,353

    Default Re: Know you way

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    What a taxi driver wants is to keep driving.

    What a passenger wants is to stop.

    Actually no.
    Taxi drivers who know beforehand that there is a big jam on a certain highway, will purposely ask you do you want to go by that highway.
    If you said "Yes", then it is jackpot for him.
    He will happily stop at the jam for hours and watch the taxi meter increase to $120 and keep increasing......
    If you grumble, then he will loudly shout back that YOU wanted to go this way....and that now he is stuck in the jam (taxi driver is just pretending to be angry and distressed).

  2. #22
    Senior Member edutilos-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Universe
    Posts
    5,991

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex

    Actually no.
    Taxi drivers who know beforehand that there is a big jam on a certain highway, will purposely ask you do you want to go by that highway.
    If you said "Yes", then it is jackpot for him.
    He will happily stop at the jam for hours and watch the taxi meter increase to $120 and keep increasing......
    If you grumble, then he will loudly shout back that YOU wanted to go this way....and that now he is stuck in the jam (taxi driver is just pretending to be angry and distressed).
    Er, are you saying that it's more profitable for a taxi driver to be stuck in a jam instead of picking up more passengers?

  3. #23
    Moderator nitewalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,628
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex

    Actually no.
    Taxi drivers who know beforehand that there is a big jam on a certain highway, will purposely ask you do you want to go by that highway.
    If you said "Yes", then it is jackpot for him.
    He will happily stop at the jam for hours and watch the taxi meter increase to $120 and keep increasing......
    If you grumble, then he will loudly shout back that YOU wanted to go this way....and that now he is stuck in the jam (taxi driver is just pretending to be angry and distressed).
    I have heard some cabbies do not prefer jams. They can earn more from the starting fare for short trips (if they know where best to find passengers) or call cab trips.

  4. #24
    Moderator nitewalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,628
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by edutilos-

    Er, are you saying that it's more profitable for a taxi driver to be stuck in a jam instead of picking up more passengers?
    My exact sentiments. I was told quite often that they don't like jams actually. I been in a jam on cab and I as the passenger wasn't grumbling but the cabbie was ranting all the way coz it is a slow income versus short trips. And bcoz some knows where best to pick passengers, as long as they are not involved in jams, they do earn more.

  5. #25
    Senior Member edutilos-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Universe
    Posts
    5,991

    Default Re: Know you way

    Quote Originally Posted by nitewalk View Post
    My exact sentiments. I was told quite often that they don't like jams actually. I been in a jam on cab and I as the passenger wasn't grumbling but the cabbie was ranting all the way coz it is a slow income versus short trips. And bcoz some knows where best to pick passengers, as long as they are not involved in jams, they do earn more.
    I don't know, my very fundamental understanding of physics dictates that fuel consumption in a jam may be higher than smooth driving because the car has to keep starting and stopping and energy is needed to overcome the inertia from rest.

    Given this understanding it does not seem apparent how a taxi driver stuck in a jam will earn more than a taxi driver moving, per unit time. Even if we assume the amount of fuel used is roughly the same, taxi drivers move 400m (when less than 10 km) and get a fare of $0.22. If they wait 45 seconds they get $0.22 too. Unless they move less than 400m in the 45 seconds (translating to a speed SLOWER than 32 km/h) there is no reason why a taxi driver prefers being stationary in a jam (which ricohflex seems to insinuate).

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    sing
    Posts
    3,353

    Default Re: Know you way

    There are many cabs on the road. Some can drive all day and pick up only a few fares. Taxi drivers have confirmed that in TV news cast interviews. A passenger in the cab in a jam is a sitting duck and the taxi driver has an assured (increasing) payment for as long as time passes until the jam is over and the passenger alights.
    The claim by taxi drivers that they hate to be in jams with a passenger inside is probably a prepared mantra. Their ranting (some don't bother with the act) is for your entertainment and to forestall any angry outburst on your part.

    Taxi drivers are a lot smarter than you give them credit for.

    How often do you find taxis caught in jams WITHOUT a passenger inside?
    Last edited by ricohflex; 26th August 2012 at 09:44 AM.

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    BB West
    Posts
    2,184

    Default Re: Know you way

    True enough. Once a passanger alights, there might not be another waiting at the next corner. So, a secure income (jam) still pays off rather than a empty cab driving around even by default, $3.2. $3.2 roughly abt 16 mins of stoppage and if he could get 10 mins from jams, he will be happy. Less petrol wasted and also, no need to hunt like mad for passangers. Furthermore will increase in peak hours rate and duration, cab drivers are earning less as less ppl willing to take during those timing. Every things is expensive nowadays, so, it's time to save than spend unless required. So, next time you want to take a cab, try to know ur route well or if possible, avoid as it's not cheap nowadays.
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

  8. #28
    Senior Member edutilos-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Universe
    Posts
    5,991

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BBTM
    True enough. Once a passanger alights, there might not be another waiting at the next corner. So, a secure income (jam) still pays off rather than a empty cab driving around even by default, $3.2. $3.2 roughly abt 16 mins of stoppage and if he could get 10 mins from jams, he will be happy. Less petrol wasted and also, no need to hunt like mad for passangers. Furthermore will increase in peak hours rate and duration, cab drivers are earning less as less ppl willing to take during those timing. Every things is expensive nowadays, so, it's time to save than spend unless required. So, next time you want to take a cab, try to know ur route well or if possible, avoid as it's not cheap nowadays.
    I don't think fuel economy is better in a jam. Most drivers think that it is worse actually?

  9. #29
    Moderator nitewalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,628
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BBTM
    True enough. Once a passanger alights, there might not be another waiting at the next corner. So, a secure income (jam) still pays off rather than a empty cab driving around even by default, $3.2. $3.2 roughly abt 16 mins of stoppage and if he could get 10 mins from jams, he will be happy. Less petrol wasted and also, no need to hunt like mad for passangers. Furthermore will increase in peak hours rate and duration, cab drivers are earning less as less ppl willing to take during those timing. Every things is expensive nowadays, so, it's time to save than spend unless required. So, next time you want to take a cab, try to know ur route well or if possible, avoid as it's not cheap nowadays.
    If I'm not wrong, driving at a constant speed saves petrol.

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    BB West
    Posts
    2,184

    Default

    This morning, after my ot, me n partner took a cab. I dropping her at mrt n then, I straight home. Told uncle, about 60+ n above on my route. He went into a minor road, leading to express way. I thought he is going to another minor but I sense not. He planned to go by express way n that route is super long with lot of traffic light!

    I told him to turn into the minor road, then he not happy liao. But my route is faster n less traffic lights. Me n partner need to get home asap, not sight seeing. I Google back home, the map also shows my route. I look at uncle one, can shake head, totally out of the way. Maybe extra $3 for him n a delay of 10 for us. :thumbsdown:
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

  11. #31

    Default Re: Know you way

    Quote Originally Posted by BBTM View Post
    This morning, after my ot, me n partner took a cab. I dropping her at mrt n then, I straight home. Told uncle, about 60+ n above on my route. He went into a minor road, leading to express way. I thought he is going to another minor but I sense not. He planned to go by express way n that route is super long with lot of traffic light!

    I told him to turn into the minor road, then he not happy liao. But my route is faster n less traffic lights. Me n partner need to get home asap, not sight seeing. I Google back home, the map also shows my route. I look at uncle one, can shake head, totally out of the way. Maybe extra $3 for him n a delay of 10 for us. :thumbsdown:
    Aiya.. now he only earns $6997

  12. #32

    Default Re: Know you way

    Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post
    Taxi drivers have this trick:

    They will ask you which route you prefer. Their prepared explanation is that sometimes the passenger does not like the route that the taxi driver chose; and thus he is now asking for your preference.

    But the REAL reason is that:
    The taxi driver wants to know whether you are familiar with the route to your destination.
    If by your answer, you reveal that you are clueless, then he knows he can RIP you off if he wants to.
    There are good taxi drivers who may not do this to you. There are also bad ones.

    This is too sweeping a statement.

    There are customers who lodge complaints just because they think the drivers took a longer route.
    Comfort is pretty strict on complaints with demerit points and suspension.
    So to cover themselves, some drivers will ask.

    Of course, there are those who take this opportunity to earn more as you described, but it does not apply to all drivers.

  13. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    sing
    Posts
    3,353

    Default Re: Know you way

    Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    This is too sweeping a statement. ......
    Read the last 2 sentences of my post.

  14. #34

    Default Re: Know you way

    Quote Originally Posted by BBTM View Post
    This morning, after my ot, me n partner took a cab. I dropping her at mrt n then, I straight home. Told uncle, about 60+ n above on my route. He went into a minor road, leading to express way. I thought he is going to another minor but I sense not. He planned to go by express way n that route is super long with lot of traffic light!

    I told him to turn into the minor road, then he not happy liao. But my route is faster n less traffic lights. Me n partner need to get home asap, not sight seeing. I Google back home, the map also shows my route. I look at uncle one, can shake head, totally out of the way. Maybe extra $3 for him n a delay of 10 for us. :thumbsdown:
    somehow i usually have pleasant experiences with taxi driver . maybe because i don't ride often
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

  15. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    BB West
    Posts
    2,184

    Default Re: Know you way

    Most of them know the way well but some, old mindset, always think expressway the fastest and shorter route. First posting, also same route as what I encounter. Did a calculation just now, 2km more if he goes his way this morning. Not to forget, stops at traffic lights also add up the cost.
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

  16. #36

    Default

    Small matter only, taxi uncle need to buy Christmas present for grand children too.
    | 5Diii | 24 ii | 40 | 24-70 ii | 24-105 | 70-200 F4 IS | 270 ii | 600EX-RT |

  17. #37
    Senior Member Halfmoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Hougang, Singapore.
    Posts
    4,590

    Default Re: Know you way

    Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    Er, are you saying that it's more profitable for a taxi driver to be stuck in a jam instead of picking up more passengers?
    What I know is most prefer to not be caught in the jam because of the time wasted in the jam.... it is the old school.... they say hey can earn more from the pick up fare...... and prefer to be moving around than struck in a jam, and get frustrated.....

    Maybe with the fare increased, it is more profitable to be in a Jam now???
    Art is perception; Perception is art.

  18. #38
    Senior Member Halfmoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Hougang, Singapore.
    Posts
    4,590

    Default Re: Know you way

    Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    I don't think fuel economy is better in a jam. Most drivers think that it is worse actually?
    Proven that in a jam, you will consume more petrol than smooth driving.
    Art is perception; Perception is art.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •