Thread: what is the suitable relative humidity of electronic dry cabinet?

Default what is the suitable relative humidity of electronic dry cabinet?

Hi, I bought an Aipo dry cabinet recently. According to the instruction manual, I should set the relative humidity (RH) t0 40-50 % for camera. But I heard from some professional photographer that 40-50 % is too dry, and it will make the rubber part (e.g. lens hood and cover) cracks after one or two years. He suggested 60 % RH. Is that true?

As mentioned about 100 times in previous threads, which can be easily searched instead of starting a new thread, 45-55 is ideal.
    Alpha

Default Re: what is the suitable relative humidity of electronic dry cabinet?

Given the inaccuracy of the built-in hygrometers you should stop worrying about 5% RH. Wasted time. If in doubt, set a bit lower. I have yet to see any cracking rubber after 4 years. Original lens hoods are made of plastic.
    60% is just a bit below the outside humidity .. pointless.
    EOS

I had mine on 42 -45 most of the time. So far so good..

Blog Entries

45RH for more than 10 years ..... everything is still OK inside
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

mine's been set to around 45% too, although it occassionally drops below, maybe 42% - 3 years down and no trouble yet!
    Check out my blog: pixelogist.me