Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Decreasing Exp Comp forLower ISO, Any Drawbacks?

Default Re: Decreasing Exp Comp forLower ISO, Any Drawbacks?

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Also, just to make it clear, the closer the light is to your subject, the stronger the light will be. Everytime you half the distance of the light to the subject, the intensity of the light increases 4 times. So what you are seeing is more intensity.

But the closer a light source is to the subject, the SOFTER the light will be also. I know you are confused by this statement. For something like a bare flash, you probably cannot see the difference much. You see more contrast, because the light is stronger only. But if you put on an umbrella and move closer, you can see the light gets stronger (because it is closer) but it gets more diffused. Why? This is because, the light source is now bigger in relation to the subject, it is able to wrap around the subject more now.

So assuming you have a flash shooting off an umbrella at a subject. Then move the light stand and half the distance between the light and the subject, the light on the subject now is 4 times stronger... so you lower the light by 2 stops, so the intensity of the light on the subject is now the same intensity... you will see the light will be a lot more diffused.

Dear Daredevil and Unagidon, thanks so much! i go try out and see how!!!

Default Re: Decreasing Exp Comp forLower ISO, Any Drawbacks?

Quote Originally Posted by Mustank View Post
    Whoa!!! you are spot on!!! I was justing ramming up the flash power and blasting them to the ceiling. i read Neil VN's website but i couldnt figure out the directional light thing. I guess a softbox will help me out. errr......sorry to ask......got any recomendations for a foldable softbox? i don want to fo umbrella route because too many things to carry. if a foldable box, no prob
    Try blasting your flash sideways off a wall first, it may work. Indirect light is a big soft box.
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123