Thread: YN560 II batteries scorching hot!

Default YN560 II batteries scorching hot!

Just bought a YN560 mk2 about 2 weeks ago and decided to test it out at home by shooting objects. Did around 50 shots at 1/32 or 1/16 power over 1 hour or so. Thing is, the flash suddenly shut off (likely due to weak batteries cos they weren't fresh to begin with) and the batteries were too hot to hold!

I don't smell any burning stuff, and I'm letting the flash rest before turning it on again with new batteries, but does anyone have such an experience with the YN560II? Does it consume THAT much power?

The only time batteries have ever gotten that hot was when I drew like 2amps continuously from them for one of my personal projects!
    EOS 7D, EOS 450D | 10-22, 17-55, 70-200 F4 IS | YN465, YN560 II
    Gallery

Default Re: YN560 II batteries scorching hot!

Quote Originally Posted by Wizongod View Post
    Just bought a YN560 mk2 about 2 weeks ago and decided to test it out at home by shooting objects. Did around 50 shots at 1/32 or 1/16 power over 1 hour or so. Thing is, the flash suddenly shut off (likely due to weak batteries cos they weren't fresh to begin with) and the batteries were too hot to hold!

I don't smell any burning stuff, and I'm letting the flash rest before turning it on again with new batteries, but does anyone have such an experience with the YN560II? Does it consume THAT much power?

The only time batteries have ever gotten that hot was when I drew like 2amps continuously from them for one of my personal projects!
    what kind of batteries. my eneloops feel hot also after long hours of use.

Blog Entries

At GN 58, i am very sure the batteries get hot, especially if you are using NiMH batteries.

Oh, I'm using normal alkaline energiser primary batteries.

Update: I can't turn on the unit.... Looks like it's back to SG Camera Store...
    Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Wizongod
    Oh, I'm using normal alkaline energiser primary batteries.

Update: I can't turn on the unit.... Looks like it's back to SG Camera Store...
    Think u blow the damm flash ......

Yeah.... most likely the case.
    I'm really surprised that such a unit can't handle 1 hour of shooting just 50 shots at like 1/16 power.... Not even burst mode!
    Gallery

I'm really surprised that such a unit can't handle 1 hour of shooting just 50 shots at like 1/16 power.... Not even burst mode!
    just get 580ex2

Blog Entries

actually, I just used a YN 560 but ver1 a couple of days back... we kept shooting for 1 hour, no problems ley.

I have 2 units of YN560 MKII, it work well for the last 2yrs. (almost)
    I always set to full power as strobe with my Softbox or beauty dish and it can last for almost 2 hrs of outdoor shoot. But the battery is very very hot after two hrs shoot ( the battery on my 580exII and Nissin 866MKII is equally hot) and that's normal, I'm using eneloops battery too.
    Your set might be just the faulty set, get it replace if under warranty. YN 560 is really value for money with that selling price and GN.
    Sony A7R, Sony A7, OMD EM5, EOSM