Thread: Green Beach

Default Green Beach

1. In what area is critique to be sought?
    Any form of critique but emphasis on exposure blending and composition

2. What one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    To improve my landscape skill as well as exposure blending technique. I usually take photos of my kids and people (90%) and this is my first attempt on landscape and exposure blending. my interest is to take more landscape photos.

3. Under what circumstance is the picture taken?(physical conditions/emotions)
    Taken around 7pm using 5D3 16-35 mkii, ISO100 35mm F11mm 1/50sec at Pasir Ris beach

4. What the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture?
    normally beach is associated with blue sea and white sand, but i happen to chance upon a seaweed filled beach and had to take a photo of it. personally i find the colors a tad saturated, the blending not done properly on the edges and there is no real subject. My intent of the subject is actually the "green beach", and to blend it with sunset for nicer effect. other cons photo is also not sharp and there is a piece of plastic bag at the bottom.

thanks in advance for any comments

Default Re: Green Beach

I think the composition is good but personally think what kills are the uneven exposure at the corner, maybe you can work on that and it'll look good.

you could also try to crop away the loose cloud at top left and remove the plastic bag at the bottom. watch out also for the blown highlights.
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

Quote Originally Posted by SeanGWS View Post
    I think the composition is good but personally think what kills are the uneven exposure at the corner, maybe you can work on that and it'll look good.
    Thank you. Newbie here as such i cant tell which part of the corner has uneven exposure. Care to elaborate further?

Quote Originally Posted by zaren View Post
    you could also try to crop away the loose cloud at top left and remove the plastic bag at the bottom. watch out also for the blown highlights.
    Thanks for the crop. Newbie here not good at photo editing. May i know how u remove the plastic bag?

Quote Originally Posted by curiosity View Post
    Thanks for the crop. Newbie here not good at photo editing. May i know how u remove the plastic bag?
    use the "clone" tool to clone nearby seaweed onto the plastic bag to make it "disappear"
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

It's a personal evaluation however I feel that the part of the sea and clouds near the borders are a bit dark. You could try getting a ND grad so you could do less work on photoshop. Or, perhaps you could duplicate a copy on photoshop, adjust the copy brighter and set blending mode to luminosity it. Alt-click on the layer mask to get a black layer mask and use a white paintbrush and paint over the dark areas to brighten it up. Use curves to adjust the lighting and contrast and I think that should do about it.

Photoshop works wonders, you just have to play around with it a lot especially with landscape.
    Last edited by SeanGWS; 20th August 2012 at 11:24 PM.

Thank you guys