Thread: Need advice/help on seagate 160GB on Asus P4XP-X board...

Default Need advice/help on seagate 160GB on Asus P4XP-X board...

Hi guys,

I need some advices and helps here: I got this seagate 160GB on my Asus P4XP-X mainboard running W2k Pro SP4.. I have flash the latest BIOS, install all W2K patches to support this 48bit LBA in order to support the entire 160GB and even running seagate DiscWizard but it still hang my W2K Pro OS till unbootable and need reinstall the entire OS......

when i use the W2K CD to boot to drive C, all i see is the unreadable ASCII characters...

have done this for almost 5 times in a week. problem still occur and unsolved... really running out of ideas... what causes the problem and is it hardware limitation or something i still forgot to install??? any kind soul here would gimme some tips and tricks??

Cheers,
    sk163

Did any1 here encounter same problem as me?? Any resolution??

i replied in another thread and u start a new one...

anyway....if u have 160GB...why not partition it?

try boot to DOS and use fdisk/mbr to refresh the master boot record

u can create DOS bootdisk by downloading the image from www.bootdisk.com

then remove all existing partitions and install your W2K again

the hard disk can be unbootable due to corrupted master boot record

btw, was the system running fine all the while? can be configuration problem too

didn't know there is sp4! 160GB works fine on my 18-month old GIGABYTE PA800 mobo. Use the boot CD to format the disk completely first.

thx to wai for soonest reply.. But, your case is a little different than mine... I did partition it during the W2kPro installation... the OS partition is 6GB.

After the installation, patches and bla bla bla, i use partition magic 8 to do the rest of the partitioning... first, I leave 20GB of blank space after the 6GB for future use and the rest is use for logical partition... problem comes after i dump 20GB of data in that partition and its become abnormal and crash... as quick as that and need to do another round of installation...

cheers
    Last edited by sk163; 1st February 2005 at 02:00 AM.

why not try repartitioning using XP and not partition magic? at least see if the problem repeats.

Hi hwcoy,

I'm not using XP i'm using W2K coz under certain application W2K is faster than XP.

Anyone here got any input for me???

Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy
    why not try repartitioning using XP and not partition magic? at least see if the problem repeats.