Thread: Guidance to photography

Default Guidance to photography

Hello one and all,

I am an enthusiastic photography nut but am not too smart about it.

I need some advice please i.e. Can someone please tell me the difference
    between an "FX" lens and a "DX" lens please.

I bought a 28-300 FX lens not too long ago but recently saw in DigitalLife a 18 - 300 DX lens.

Please kindly advise me on the difference. My camera body is a Nikon D700.

Appreciate your kind advice.

Stephen27

Default Re: Guidance to photography

Have you checked the Nikon website? Would be the next best thing because the terms 'DX' and 'FX' are terms used on the Nikon lenses.
    Secondly, this forum has a subsection about Nikon equipment ..
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen27 View Post
    Hello one and all,

I am an enthusiastic photography nut but am not too smart about it.

I need some advice please i.e. Can someone please tell me the difference
    between an "FX" lens and a "DX" lens please.

I bought a 28-300 FX lens not too long ago but recently saw in DigitalLife a 18 - 300 DX lens.

Please kindly advise me on the difference. My camera body is a Nikon D700.

Appreciate your kind advice.

Stephen27
    Camera Lens Explained | DX & FX Format Lenses from Nikon

Nikon DX vs FX

Digital camera sensor format is referenced to traditional 35mm film of 24X36 mm. D700 is the equivalent size so is called
    FF/FX ( full frame) vs crop sensor or DX size.It's just a matter of lens design optics where FX ( full frame) diameter is
    larger to cover an area of 24 X 36mm where the DX version is smaller.In other words it is the angle of view or field of view/coverage.You can use DX lenses on D700 but see less,not all the sensor area is used.If you use FX lenses on DX bodies you have a telephoto effect or coverage as sensor is smaller.

There are advantages to DX format,on DX bodies,FX lenses become longer in focal length for telephoto lenses( for birding/wildlife) but wide angle lenses have less coverage.Of course when it comes to sensor size the bigger one has more resolution and therefore get bigger enlargement of photos.In general FX lenses are more expensive than DX because of lens diameter and F stops.Vice versa DX wide angle lenses can be made affordable in comparison to FX lenses.All this is subject to mechanical and electronic compatibility between different camera models of the same brand.Long story.

Edit : Actually specifications ( focal length) of lens does not change but image coverage does because of sensor size.
    Last edited by one eye jack; 19th August 2012 at 09:21 PM.

Thanks a million for the advice. I really appreciate it.