Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Sanyo Battery Charger can only charge sanyo batteries?

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,741

    Question Sanyo Battery Charger can only charge sanyo batteries?

    Hi guys,

    Just bought this sanyo nimh battery charger. Apparently, it was stated in the instruction sheet that this charger can only charge sanyo nimh batteries.

    Was wondering if I could charge my gp nimh batteries using this charger as well? So my concern is, would it damage the battery or the charger?

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2

    Default

    using a sony charger.. worked fine on my sanyo batteries
    i think should be ok lah.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Braddell
    Posts
    267

    Default

    me using the Sanyo charger and charging my GP batteries.

    Should not be a problem at all............

  4. #4
    ClubSNAP Idol Adam Goi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    5,682

    Default

    Charging other similar batteries should be fine, I think...you know those manufacturers, must say it's 'better' to buy their batteries to ensure this and prevent future problems...that why they never say "Charging batteries of other makes are fine!"

  5. #5

    Default

    Manufacturers dont test charging with other brands. So they are legally covering their asses. Who knows, other batteries might blow up. They are also trying to scare you to buy their own products.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,741

    Default

    Originally posted by maddog
    Manufacturers dont test charging with other brands. So they are legally covering their asses. Who knows, other batteries might blow up. They are also trying to scare you to buy their own products.
    Hmm... that was what I was thinking too..

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,741

    Default

    Originally posted by kaipium
    me using the Sanyo charger and charging my GP batteries.

    Should not be a problem at all............
    that sounds assuring, thanks.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,741

    Default

    Guess I shall take the plunge and try it out myself; Update you guys if it expodes

  9. #9
    Midnight
    Guests

    Default

    Actually, it is possible for manufacturers to make their chargers work only with their own brand of battery cells. I remember that my ancient Canon Powershot 350 digicam's built-in battery charger would only charge a specific type of Panasonic NiMH cells. The way it worked was that these cells have a certain part of their plastic covering exposed, and the digicam will somehow check for this exposed portion of the plastic covering before charging the cells (kind of like the way 3.5" disk drives differentiate between 720KB and 1.44MB diskettes). No other NiMH cells could work with this charger unless one cut off the appropriate part of their plastic covers. I sure hope no companies still try such stunts with their battery chargers these days...

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,741

    Default

    Originally posted by Midnight
    Actually, it is possible for manufacturers to make their chargers work only with their own brand of battery cells. I remember that my ancient Canon Powershot 350 digicam's built-in battery charger would only charge a specific type of Panasonic NiMH cells. The way it worked was that these cells have a certain part of their plastic covering exposed, and the digicam will somehow check for this exposed portion of the plastic covering before charging the cells (kind of like the way 3.5" disk drives differentiate between 720KB and 1.44MB diskettes). No other NiMH cells could work with this charger unless one cut off the appropriate part of their plastic covers. I sure hope no companies still try such stunts with their battery chargers these days...
    too late, i've plugged it in already

    anyway, hope it works

  11. #11
    Midnight
    Guests

    Default

    Hehe... Don't worry, it should work lah. Besides, it hasn't exploded yet, right? I'm probably one of the few unlucky people to have actually encountered a NiMH "battery charger" that only works with one brand of batteries. Then again, this "charger" is actually a digicam, so I guess that wasn't exactly its primary purpose.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,741

    Default

    Yup, hasn't exploded yet
    Doesn't show signs that it's gonna explode either.....

    So it works! (I hope)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •