Thread: Kodak Royal, Fuji Reala?

Default Kodak Royal, Fuji Reala?

Just saw my friend's photos taken with the Kodak Royal negative he bought in London, and I really like the colour tone and quality. I've been using Fuji Superia and the difference is tremendous. My friend said that Fuji Reala is made to compete with Kodak Royal, so the quality should be similar, is that true? Is Fuji Reala available in Singapore, and if yes, what are the approximate prices for the respective ISO versions?

Default Re: Kodak Royal, Fuji Reala?

Originally posted by Tweek
    Just saw my friend's photos taken with the Kodak Royal negative he bought in London, and I really like the colour tone and quality. I've been using Fuji Superia and the difference is tremendous. My friend said that Fuji Reala is made to compete with Kodak Royal, so the quality should be similar, is that true? Is Fuji Reala available in Singapore, and if yes, what are the approximate prices for the respective ISO versions?
    I haven't used Royal before so I can compare the performance.
    Yes, Reala is readily available in Singapore, can't remember how much though. You can get them from Ruby or Cathay. Reala is only available in ISO 100.

Hi Tweek,

Get the reala! It's $6.60 a roll from Cathay They are my favourite colour neg. Good skin tone, fine grain, sharp and very close to actual colours. Did a test with Supra 100, Reala capture colours more accurately! You may want to use them for your graduation shots! But if you want something less contrasty, get the NPS or NPH. If you want to get Kodak royal, i saw them at foto elite at aldephi. But i think it cost more!

Originally posted by kueko
    Get the reala! It's $6.60 a roll from Cathay They are my favourite colour neg. Good skin tone, fine grain, sharp and very close to actual colours.
    Are you sure the Reala is $6.60 ? the last time I bought is $9+ in adelphi.

Did a test with Supra 100, Reala capture colours more accurately! You may want to use them for your graduation shots! But if you want something less contrasty, get the NPS or NPH. If you want to get Kodak royal, i saw them at foto elite at aldephi. But i think it cost more!
    If you're looking for well saturated color negative, then only Reala can satisfy. I used Kodak Royal Gold before, it is very fine grain with good 'warm' color. It cost $35/pack of 5 rols.

reala 100 was my first roll when i start photography as a hobby last month, i really like the photos that come out on it.

yups, its $6.60 at cathay. i've bought about 6-7 rolls to use so far and very satisfied

trying supra 100 now on friend's advice, haven't developed yet ...

Hold it ppls...do re-consider using Reala for your graduation shots!
    No doubts Reala is a good film, but it tends to offers reddish skin tone compared to using NPH, NPC or NPS.

I personally think NPH, NPC or NPS is a better choice.

Note: The Reala that is available in Singpaore is the Reala superior , not the Reala version.

Hope my 2 cents of inputs is helpful.

oh yes, i almost forgot to say what i liked it for... i think for general shooting, landscapes etc. its quite good, but for people, you might want to try other film as well. i've tried nps 160 before and its quite good too, although some people complained its a bit soft, while reala is rather contrasty.

scanner: u mean the reala sold here is fujicolor superia 100, i think there are actually two films right:

- fujicolor superia 100
    - fujicolor reala 100

just to clear any confusion

good day

Originally posted by plainsman
    oh yes, i almost forgot to say what i liked it for... i think for general shooting, landscapes etc. its quite good, but for people, you might want to try other film as well. i've tried nps 160 before and its quite good too, although some people complained its a bit soft, while reala is rather contrasty.

scanner: u mean the reala sold here is fujicolor superia 100, i think there are actually two films right:

- fujicolor superia 100
    - fujicolor reala 100

just to clear any confusion

good day
    No, what I meant is, there are 2 versions of this Realas, the newer version is the Reala Superior 100, which is available in Singapore where else the older version Reala 100 is not available locally.

Can anyone recommend something thats good for taking people at night indoors (ballroom type place), but with vivid (contrasty) colours?

Originally posted by Zoomer
    Can anyone recommend something thats good for taking people at night indoors (ballroom type place), but with vivid (contrasty) colours?
    Try Fuji Press 800. It's very good, fine grain for a 800, good skin tone, nice colour! Can use without flash for a warm effect kind of look if you like the orange warm tone!

Originally posted by scanner
    Hold it ppls...do re-consider using Reala for your graduation shots!
    No doubts Reala is a good film, but it tends to offers reddish skin tone compared to using NPH, NPC or NPS.

I personally think NPH, NPC or NPS is a better choice.

Note: The Reala that is available in Singpaore is the Reala superior , not the Reala version.

Hope my 2 cents of inputs is helpful.
    Thanks for the info, will take a second look at my reala shots! I think supra is even more red than reala. But i have to say that i like the skin tone. All pimples are gone, smoothen out! It also have very fine grain, sharp, good contrast and saturation. As for NPS, NPC, i find it too muted, the colours too flat! But it's designed that way, low contrast, unsaturated film. And it get's muddy when slightly underexposed! But i only try it on 120 format, not on 135. Heard that it's good with some fill flash! Will try it out for myself one day!

Thanks for the info, will take a second look at my reala shots! I think supra is even more red than reala. But i have to say that i like the skin tone. All pimples are gone, smoothen out! It also have very fine grain, sharp, good contrast and saturation. As for NPS, NPC, i find it too muted, the colours too flat! But it's designed that way, low contrast, unsaturated film. And it get's muddy when slightly underexposed! But i only try it on 120 format, not on 135. Heard that it's good with some fill flash! Will try it out for myself one day!
    With regards to the pimples, you may try using softener B filter or diffuser filter to do the trick.

Try Fuji Press 800. It's very good, fine grain for a 800, good skin tone, nice colour! Can use without flash for a warm effect kind of look if you like the orange warm tone!
    How does this stack up to the Xtra 800?

just bought 2 rolls of reala, will be trying out on landscapes etc to see how good it is.

Originally posted by scanner

With regards to the pimples, you may try using softener B filter or diffuser filter to do the trick.
    Doesn't a soft filter makes the image looks soft? Reala can smoothen out the skin without making the photo look soft. Try it, it's really good! The first time i used it, when my brother saw the photo, he ask me what film i was using, cause he was impressed that his pimple didn't show!

how much is the Reala huh?
    I saw like 7++ in the big film shop at adelphi...
    "I'm... dreaming... of a wide... angle~
    Just like the ones I used to know~"

Just got my roll of reala developed and printed. First impressions: very sharp and smooth, and I love the colour saturation especially on landscapes like greeneries. Skin tone with natural light (sunlight) is very nice. However, I find skin tones under indoor flash to be quite off-colour, there is a slight yellowish/orangish hue. Don't quite like it.

Otherwise, it's a great film. Btw the developing lab really makes a big difference. This time round I developed at RGB, the quality is superb (I also developed a roll of superia 200 and thus the comparison is of the same film developed at Singapore Colour Centre). It's a bit too pricey tho, $3.70 for processing and $0.50 per 4R. That's like a digital print already!

denizenx, reala costs $6.60 a roll at cathay.