Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: HDD Crash SOS

Quote Originally Posted by Jed
    I've ordered two SATA disks, an 80 and a 160. I had a brief conversation with Wai who suggested that because I'm not familiar with RAID that maybe I shouldn't run it, but if anyone fancies explaining it I'm all ears
    Jed, amend your order quickly ... the 2 disks meant for mirroring should be the same size (best if both same model). Otherwise your 160GB will behave like an 80GB (lowest common denominator).

If you mirror the disks, that means if one fails or develops bad clusters, the data will be retrieved from the good copy. Of course, there is a chance that both disks will develop a bad cluster in the exact same area where the same data is, but that's where your backups (or luck) comes into play.

The cost difference between 80GB and 160GB may not be that significant, so perhaps should :

1. Get an 80GB for C drive (OS, program files)
    2. Get 2 x 160GB, mirrored, for data drive
    3. Use old disk for scratch / temp usage

And the latest model DVD+RW helps as well ... if you can back up quickly, then you'll be more compelled to do this between your normal activities.

Quote Originally Posted by Wai
    PATA and SATA make no different because the only advantage is thinner cable.
    And that's a good advantage, as the airflow in the casing will be better. I also have a 120mm fan blowing directly into the "HDD cage", and this cools the HDDs quite well.

Cheers everyone. I've been busy with work so not getting on with things as much as I would like. Still in process of putting my system together so haven't got down to attempt hdd recovery yet. Will update.

Quote Originally Posted by Jed
    Cheers everyone. I've been busy with work so not getting on with things as much as I would like. Still in process of putting my system together so haven't got down to attempt hdd recovery yet. Will update.
    Be wary of the heat. build up. The sata drives that runs at 10,000 rpm and above are quite hot. 2 pieces together in the cage has enough heat to cook satay. Indirect fan is not enough**. Do be very aware of this. If the fan is 120mm type and blows directly onto the cage, it is barely cool enough for me.

Make sure that the power supply is enough (fan must not fail) and do invest in a good case as well. eg Thermaltake 2000 model has good reviews. The thermaltake fan has good repute too.

Currently, I am running my system on a case not meant for SATA heat level. So I strip off the side panel and use a stand fan (300mm) to cool the sata drives directly. Very effective but cannot be a permanent solution. I do find computer fans very miserable.
    You may consider using the 2 sata drives (striping) as C drive running on raid 0. Then photoshop will be a real breeze. I use a single large capacity drive for data. I do prefer it this way and find it a real option due to the speed increase.
    The cost difference of a 160 gig sata and 80 gig sata is not small. But I still recommend to get the largest one you can afford. Even for program files, 80 gig surprisingly is not huge with the common computer software programs.
    All the best to your new set up.
    Last edited by tOGGY; 4th February 2005 at 06:02 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123