Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can You Trust Your Professional Photographer?

Default Re: Can You Trust Your Professional Photographer?

Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    Yes, but theoretically speaking, the market should cull the photographers who charge too high for what clients value them for. Either that or force them to adjust their prices lower.
    Hahaha... really?? One thing for sure is, potential clients wont book you if you are "expensive" according to them, and clients who book you generally won't feel that you are expensive.

Regards,

Hart

Quote Originally Posted by yqt View Post
    Agreed that existing clients are not a problem, they know what to expect from me at my price.

It is the new clients, usually direct clients who only do shoots a few times a year and are not in the market who have this misconception that the higher price charged by professional are a rip off. Photographers have to work harder to convince them that they are better and can be trusted over the last photographer who did not deliver up to expection but had a better port. Now I shoot freelance servicing only a few long standing clients with new ones only through word of mouth as I have a day job.
    Really? I don't know if this is the misconception really.

It is very easy for clients who is interested with your service to further google about you and they will know what you do and don't and if you are for them regardless of pricing if they see your service has its value to the price that you charge.

I always think that if clients think one business is a lot more expensive and avoid that without weighing other factor such as service, etc, they do make some mistake in selection process.

Here is one example....

I have a clients who do a couple of shoots with me and thought my competitor is a little cheaper, so one year, she tried the my competitor and the next year, she come back to me again and stay...

For my genre, like family with young kids, if you have to put the kids in the car, drive to studio to shoot, then drive there to select and drive there to collect the order... Worst if you don't drive and had to take taxi. For these trouble alone, most people prefer don't have to put themselves through the nightmare... at the end of the day, my competitors around my level charge round about the same, perhaps different by a couple hundred dollars.

Regards,

Hart

Quote Originally Posted by Agetan View Post
    Hahaha... really?? One thing for sure is, potential clients wont book you if you are "expensive" according to them, and clients who book you generally won't feel that you are expensive.

Regards,

Hart

Theoretically la.

Of course there will always be happy sheep being hoodwinked by photographers who charge too high for what most people would value their services as. The same applies for any industry, actually, even for salaried employees. No system is perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    Theoretically la.

Of course there will always be happy sheep being hoodwinked by photographers who charge too high for what most people would value their services as. The same applies for any industry, actually, even for salaried employees. No system is perfect.
    I know what you mean... well, I believe, you can get clients to pay and offer no value for the price you charge, but how long you will last is another thing.

I agree, no one perfect solution for all.

Regards,

Hart

Quote Originally Posted by lancey View Post
    I don't have a problem with charging high or low which i feel is a personal choice. I have a problem with people telling others to charge high or charge low BECAUSE they think it will affect the industry or any party in anyway. i.e telling others how to run their business, over the net. I don't have to prove anything to you because Im not the one telling others to charge low or charge high...or the one to think that charging low or high has any definite effect on anybody. Let the market be free, demand and supply, cost and effect. Simple economics.

Most likely just his opinion.
    Really?

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/photo...ml#post6590412

definitely under-paid for the second job. Move on. But then again, if it's for the exposure and experience, does it really matter for a one-off job?

know what's your worth and negotiate in future, if possible.
    So there you are, telling people assertively they are under-paid in one thread and singing the opposite tune in other threads. Contradicting yourself or hypocrisy?

Most likely just his opinion.
    Yes, my opinion and it works for me. It is no mere coincidence that many working pros earning a living also share the same opinion and it works for them too.

You do not share the same opinion because you are a bitter person trying to keep others from advancing and succeeding.
    Last edited by JasonB; 21st August 2012 at 11:21 PM.

Servicing exiting clients who already know the photographer's standard and accepted that price at that standard is of course it's not a problem. Servicing a new client who, do not know the market or had bad expercience or heard of such bad expericence, that's another story, at least for some of them. Perhaps the different genre/type of clients also matters.

While I was still doing photography full time, an ad agency had a new client who do not want to do shoots and only want to use stock images (which would reduce the visual impact of the ad) as they felt that professional photography is too ex and not worth the money due to their last shoot with a cheapo ad agency. As the agency was a long standing supportive client, I agreed for them to arrange a visit to my studio for the client (I did a mock shoot to "impress" them) and after the 1+ hour visit and further price reduction, they finally agreed to the shoot. Given the trouble the agency and I went through, I did not waive my loading fee (which I usually do) and the client end up paying more than they would in the first place when they want to use my images for other purpose.
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

Yes, some clients belong to the type that prefer a lower entry price to start off, and order more items later, usually end up paying more.

Some clients prefer to order a huge package upfront, and ask for a better price, usually end up with a better deal.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12