Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: how would you market pentax in singapore?

It depends on what is Pentax worldwide budget for marketing. It can be very very costly to put your brand up there to compete with the big 3 (Canon Nikon Sony)

I would put the cameras in the hands of every press photographer in big events (like what Panasonic did at the Olympics).

Start a slogan and campaign on weather seal (because thats one of the value add feature) as well as being different.

Sign up some celebrities as brand ambassadors and really hype it up in the entertainment circle. Make the brand sexy.

Focus on core products and get these products right. Make sure it is on par or ahead of competition in terms of technology and design.
    Design of the product must be sexy. How many people buy a car because it looks good and not because it is good? Same for mobile phones.

At the end of the day, it's not really how good the product is. It's how hyped up the brand is, and how sexy the product design is. Of course the product must not be poor in quality and functionality in the first place.

As you can see, all the above need a lot of money. So the bigger the budget the better the campaign will be. But success is never guaranteed.
    Last edited by milez; 17th August 2012 at 09:57 AM.
    E-M5 | O12-50 | O45/1.8 | P14/2.5 | O40-150 R | O17/1.8
    Metz 32CT7 | Flux Capacitor

Default Re: how would you market pentax in singapore?

On a lighter note,

Pentax should just equipped each on the local active Pentaxian on CS here with the upcoming new DSLR (K??) and one of the FA princess. We will go forth and sing the Pentax praises to the masses.

I love Pentax because it is good,weather sealed and affordable

1)Do it like what some software/online game company will do. Let u used/play for free but once u are hooked make u pay subscription.

but since that model only works for software. Sponsor the major school/university photography clubs with some nice equipment. and let them build up the reputation and brand awareness. if pentax can convert 1/10 that’s a 10% success rate already.

2) From what I see most pentaxian are serious about photography and a conscious effect to improve their skills, not like some photographer wannabe who tot dslr in auto modes.

Set up a international website and run monthly photo contest asking photographer who use pentax gear to send in their picture to win a prize. just need to paste the sticker promoting this website on all the pentax gear box.

This way it can create a pentax gear only exclusive contest, making existing owner feel proud of owning pentax, promoting stronger brand loyalty. It also serves as an promotion and education avenue for newly converts to learn photography seriously.

prizes dont really have to be expenisve but decent. once a while throw in some lens or PnS camera. run the website for 2 to 3 yrs to build up th momentum. even if it is 36 PnS camera (one per month for 3 yr) as prize shipped to international address is a smaller prize to pay then running a big one time photo marathon.
    Last edited by poseur; 17th August 2012 at 10:39 AM.

i think pentax hong kong is doing more. there are already some movies showing artist using pentax camera. one of them is "I love hong kong".

personally I'm actually pretty happy with the johb that Pentax & their distros have been doing so far (in my 2+ years as a pentax user). Of course the service support locally could be better - having to send every little thing include lens/body recalibration back to Japan is not ideal. But I would rather they NOT FOLLOW Canikon & spend big bucks on mega advertisement campaigns... all the money comes from customers in the end through higher prices as shown by the big 3 (if you include Sony).

I'm pretty happy with what Pentax offers currently in terms of range of products (I have no FF lust/envy) & more than happy with the prices - in fact I would prefer if the DA* lenses weren't so pricey! maybe I'm just a cheapo... hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by stuck
    personally I'm actually pretty happy with the johb that Pentax & their distros have been doing so far (in my 2+ years as a pentax user). Of course the service support locally could be better - having to send every little thing include lens/body recalibration back to Japan is not ideal. But I would rather they NOT FOLLOW Canikon & spend big bucks on mega advertisement campaigns... all the money comes from customers in the end through higher prices as shown by the big 3 (if you include Sony).

I'm pretty happy with what Pentax offers currently in terms of range of products (I have no FF lust/envy) & more than happy with the prices - in fact I would prefer if the DA* lenses weren't so pricey! maybe I'm just a cheapo... hahaha
    Quite true... Sometimes I feel divided and feel like a hypocrite at times.. As much as I love Pentax and I wish to have more users which ultimately would allow Pentax to grow I'd hate it if the costs of marketing gets passed down to me.. :/

I guess sacrifices ought to be made. But for me, I prefer to do it via word of mouth. Haha! :/
    Pentax Kr, Pentax Super A
    K105/2.8, Fa*24/2, A28/2, A35/2, A50/1.4, A*85/1.4, A100/2.8, A135/2.8

Honestly I am happier if people don't know about Pentax.. I'm happy with Pentax the way it is.. I don't need people to validate my choice

Nowadays internet plays a big part. At least for me, all my decisions on camera/cars/computer parts/handphone or anything are from research online. I'm skeptical of word of mouth as people tend to be biased, ask a canon user and he will say canon is the best, ask nikon and he will say nikon is the best. 1 recommendation is not enough to make me buy. Advertisements only make me aware there is such a product, I take all marketing material with a pinch of salt since most all gimmicks. Salesman is the last person on earth I'll trust.

Internet is full of information and readily available no matter which corner I'm at, so I read reviews from reputable sites and users feedback to make my decision. Know all pros and cons of a product. This is how I end up with a K5 and a few pentax lens, I'm the only one among my friends/relatives who will buy olympus and pentax. I never fail to receive a face from them.

So to me, best way to market pentax is let users judge and spread the word through internet, it's free marketing. I don't buy products from companies who do lots of advertisement. I spend money on the product, not for their marketing. So I avoid brands like canon/nikon/samsung/htc.

When people ask me about recommendation, I usually ask them do they have any brand in mind and budget . If yes , and die die they want that brand I will advice on the current model accordingly .

If their option are open , I intro more information of Pentax as I always find them value for money ....

When I 1st start Pentax , everyone around me was like discouraging me , some even worst , laugh at me ...... But after years of shooting and persistent , all this comment had long gone ....

It had been a long time I last hear people comment my camera "Pentax ? What's That !"
    My Flickr ->Flickr

This is the way to market Pentax Q
    http://aki-asahi.com/store/html/Pent...eatherKit.html

I like this one:

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipKr35 View Post
    This is the way to market Pentax Q
    http://aki-asahi.com/store/html/Pent...eatherKit.html

I like this one:
    I too was thinking of doing it but on white a bit difficult to match.
    Pentaxian for Life
    K1, KP, FA*28-70/2.8, FA31, 43 & FA77 Limiteds, K85/1.8, FA*200/2.8, A50/1.2

K30 has the sensor of K5, WR, focus peaking and an unbeatable price tag. It is the cheapest DSLR with WR with a kick-ass sensor. A Hummer of a camera.

For marketing simply list down some sports; dirt biking, water skiing, fishing, something like that. Take some nice action shots, get dirty, water all over and all. Publish them strategically to get maximum viewership.

The only problem is that we need more WR DC primes and zooms with good AF speed. Every Canikon naysayer will use this as an excuse to put down Pentax.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightbulb View Post
    K30 has the sensor of K5, WR, focus peaking and an unbeatable price tag. It is the cheapest DSLR with WR with a kick-ass sensor. A Hummer of a camera.

For marketing simply list down some sports; dirt biking, water skiing, fishing, something like that. Take some nice action shots, get dirty, water all over and all. Publish them strategically to get maximum viewership.

The only problem is that we need more WR DC primes and zooms with good AF speed. Every Canikon naysayer will use this as an excuse to put down Pentax.

Actually with the getting a "camera to take photos of my child" as a 'rite' of parenthood nowadays, just tout the WR capabilities of the Pentax K30.
    As shown on this thread.
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/penta...-possible.html

There have been quite a few times I just waded into the pool, DSLR in hand, while parents using other brands just stood by poolside.
    Perhaps next time, I will shower the camera in front of them.

No need to complain about lenses.
    Other brands, the WR lenses not even cheap for the general user.
    DA18-55, 55-200, 18-135WR are all good enough if not needing WR all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    Actually with the getting a "camera to take photos of my child" as a 'rite' of parenthood nowadays, just tout the WR capabilities of the Pentax K30.
    As shown on this thread.

There have been quite a few times I just waded into the pool, DSLR in hand, while parents using other brands just stood by poolside.

Especially like the "Shower" part, but remember the pool water is chlorinated , remember to take Pentax for 2nd shower in the pool bathroom after that.

Quote Originally Posted by pendora View Post
    Imagine you are tasked to market pentax in singapore. You will need to face the overwhelming canikon branding and salesman who are too lazy to explain the cameras of each brand but simply just advise canikon.

Product k30 and the upcoming new model

You are tasked to double sales. Any marketing and branding personnel out there?
    Maybe I cannot find it, but it would be good to have a local website with products.

Quote Originally Posted by kklee View Post
    Maybe I cannot find it, but it would be good to have a local website with products.
    Pentax Web Store

As shown on this thread.
    [url]
    Still waiting for a UWA WR lens . Haha.
    But to be frank , even without WR lens , my K5 still doing well whenever I am catching waves or caught in rain
    My Flickr ->Flickr

As shown on this thread.

Of course those lenses are good enough. Do you ever lust for fast primes with DC motor or Screw Drive, WR and doesn't break the bank? I guess it is different strokes for different folks?

Another issue would be these new lenses may devalue limited primes, or worse, develop severe LBA.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightbulb

Of course those lenses are good enough. Do you ever lust for fast primes with DC motor or Screw Drive, WR and doesn't break the bank? I guess it is different strokes for different folks?
    I think its more of a reality check than "different strokes"...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast