Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 109

Thread: one lens for all

  1. #61
    Senior Member edutilos-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Universe
    Posts
    5,991

    Default Re: one lens for all

    Quote Originally Posted by BTBFM2 View Post
    IMHO, i find photos taken with flash look artificial.
    Then my non-emotional response is that you probably have not seen photos taken by people who know how to use flash well.

  2. #62
    Senior Member sinned79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,850

    Default Re: one lens for all

    Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    Then my non-emotional response is that you probably have not seen photos taken by people who know how to use flash well.
    i concur.

    try this strobist group on flickr.

    Flickr: Singapore Strobist

    but note, not all are good examples but pretty good examples can be found.

  3. #63
    Senior Member edutilos-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Universe
    Posts
    5,991

    Default Re: one lens for all

    Quote Originally Posted by BTBFM2 View Post

    Often we are bogged down with various third parties that have little or nothing in common with our clients trying to influence how we take wedding pictures. If the magazines or blogs are to be believed, wedding photography is all about details, details and more details with a smattering of people with balloons skipping through meadows in a haze of yellow wash. National UK competitions favour elaborately posed, over processed bride and groom portraits. To me wedding photography is about taking someone back to the day and helping them relive it. It doesn’t matter if that picture contains people or not, or indeed if it is seen as being part of another genre of photography. As long as it evokes an emotional reaction in my clients then nothing else matters."
    Talk is cheap and you are taking what he means out of context, if you ask me. I don't think he's saying that the coverage of the wedding doesn't have to include people at all. What he is saying is that a wedding need not just be about pictures of people. Which is absolutely fine. If you have actually taken the time to look at good wedding photographers' portfolio you'd see that they often take photos of the dress, wedding favours, even just the table setting when no guests are around, the decor... the list of non-people shots goes on and on. But what they still DO shoot are the people involved in the wedding. With no people, there is no wedding. If you are trying to push some rather utopian point that as long as the wedding photographer thinks his pictures will evoke an emotional reaction in clients, including to the point where people photos are not required (which it seems you are) then good luck, maybe you can try the following:

    1) Go offer your services as wedding photographer
    2) Get a job at whatever price, let's just say the location is Mandarin Oriental Hotel
    3) Just go around the whole hotel shooting anything but people involved in the wedding
    4) Pass the clients your photos and please let us know their response (though I suspect you will be stomped)
    5) In response, you can link your world-famous photographer post and let us know if they buy it

    Cheers!
    Last edited by edutilos-; 16th August 2012 at 02:41 PM.

  4. #64
    Senior Member edutilos-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Universe
    Posts
    5,991

    Default Re: one lens for all

    Quote Originally Posted by BTBFM2 View Post
    wow, cool
    pardon me, still newbie, never try all these events yet. But i thought WB can be set before starting to shoot?
    Not all locations are so nice and forgiving such that you can press "tungsten" and it will work fine throughout.

    Some locations have a whole mixture of lighting- got tungsten, got fluorescent, got fluorescent and tungsten mixed up altogether too....

  5. #65
    Senior Member edutilos-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Universe
    Posts
    5,991

    Default Re: one lens for all

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    what will you do if you are using a 70-200 lens for shooting table group photos?
    Hire bulldozer to clear distance for me to shoot the table shots?

  6. #66
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: one lens for all

    Quote Originally Posted by sinned79 View Post
    i concur.

    try this strobist group on flickr.

    Flickr: Singapore Strobist

    but note, not all are good examples but pretty good examples can be found.
    mostly done with off camera flash or with softbox,
    should show what can a pro do with flash mounted on camera hotshoe.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  7. #67
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: one lens for all

    Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    Hire bulldozer to clear distance for me to shoot the table shots?
    I already said one of the method in post #32,

    maybe for your style you can try do a pano stitch with 70-200 for table shot,

    another photographer will do a 1 sec panning shot with 70-200 for table shot,

    and Bonrya will shoot all the feet with 70-200 for the table shot.


    be creative, think out of the box,
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  8. #68
    Senior Member edutilos-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Universe
    Posts
    5,991

    Default Re: one lens for all

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post

    maybe for your style you can try do a pano stitch with 70-200 for table shot,
    Need to hire stormtroopers to freeze every table in carbonite first.

  9. #69
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: one lens for all

    Quote Originally Posted by BTBFM2 View Post
    cool down, bro.

    This is all discussion and i am just expressing my opinions on those comments. This is what forums are for. To share, explore, learn and improve.
    take it easy.
    I am totally cool about the whole thing. If you want to burn your paying jobs, it is fine by me, because what you do doesn't matter to me. You should go rock yourself out.

  10. #70
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: one lens for all

    that's remind me of this thread, Can You Trust Your Professional Photographer?

    the original article; Can You Trust Your Professional Photographer? - Los Angeles Photography | Examiner.com

    This lady photographer is so bold, only half pass six still dare to fly to another state to do a assignment which have not done any similar shoot before, and some more on a unfamiliar site.
    at first I find it so hard to believe, and it is so hilarious,
    but when I looking back here, sama sama, we have plenty of people here doing these, it is not funny at all.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  11. #71
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Bedok
    Posts
    318

    Default Re: one lens for all

    Quote Originally Posted by BTBFM2 View Post
    IMHO, i find photos taken with flash look artificial.
    I am a person who like to explore new concept.
    Most probably i would try out with a 85mm coupled with a 35mm [X100?] the next time any of my relatives or friends has got a wedding :-) and go along with the main photog the whole day and see how the result would be.
    Good luck.

  12. #72
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    136

    Default Re: one lens for all

    Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    Talk is cheap and you are taking what he means out of context, if you ask me. I don't think he's saying that the coverage of the wedding doesn't have to include people at all. What he is saying is that a wedding need not just be about pictures of people. Which is absolutely fine. If you have actually taken the time to look at good wedding photographers' portfolio you'd see that they often take photos of the dress, wedding favours, even just the table setting when no guests are around, the decor... the list of non-people shots goes on and on. But what they still DO shoot are the people involved in the wedding. With no people, there is no wedding. If you are trying to push some rather utopian point that as long as the wedding photographer thinks his pictures will evoke an emotional reaction in clients, including to the point where people photos are not required (which it seems you are) then good luck, maybe you can try the following:

    1) Go offer your services as wedding photographer
    2) Get a job at whatever price, let's just say the location is Mandarin Oriental Hotel
    3) Just go around the whole hotel shooting anything but people involved in the wedding
    4) Pass the clients your photos and please let us know their response (though I suspect you will be stomped)
    5) In response, you can link your world-famous photographer post and let us know if they buy it

    Cheers!
    it is IMPOSSIBLE to have all the wedding photos to be lack of people lah. This is common sense lah, non-photog will know this too!. Even our good friend C.C. also know about this . He has got 4000 shots and most of them has got people too, just that some are not so focus, which some so called pro find it unacceptable. LOL. But somehow, from the description of CC works that get stomped, seems that his style is quite similar to this mentioned world renowned wedding photog. Just that some "pro" here in singapore don't appreciate or just because he is not famous enough?

  13. #73
    Senior Member edutilos-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Universe
    Posts
    5,991

    Default Re: one lens for all

    Quote Originally Posted by BTBFM2 View Post
    it is IMPOSSIBLE to have all the wedding photos to be lack of people lah. This is common sense lah, non-photog will know this too!. Even our good friend C.C. also know about this . He has got 4000 shots and most of them has got people too, just that some are not so focus, which some so called pro find it unacceptable. LOL. But somehow, from the description of CC works that get stomped, seems that his style is quite similar to this mentioned world renowned wedding photog. Just that some "pro" here in singapore don't appreciate or just because he is not famous enough?
    Er, I have seen the photos and also C.C's previous work.

    Emotional reaction.... Hahaha. Emo reaction maybe la.

  14. #74
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: one lens for all

    Quote Originally Posted by BTBFM2 View Post
    it is IMPOSSIBLE to have all the wedding photos to be lack of people lah. This is common sense lah, non-photog will know this too!. Even our good friend C.C. also know about this . He has got 4000 shots and most of them has got people too, just that some are not so focus, which some so called pro find it unacceptable. LOL. But somehow, from the description of CC works that get stomped, seems that his style is quite similar to this mentioned world renowned wedding photog. Just that some "pro" here in singapore don't appreciate or just because he is not famous enough?
    If you have seen the actual pictures and you still feel the same... my condolences to your taste... (or lack of).
    Last edited by daredevil123; 16th August 2012 at 11:44 PM.

  15. #75

    Default Re: one lens for all

    Looks like a self-pwn thread.
    WTB Manfrotto RC4 L Bracket

  16. #76
    Moderator nitewalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,628
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BTBFM2

    it is IMPOSSIBLE to have all the wedding photos to be lack of people lah. This is common sense lah, non-photog will know this too!. Even our good friend C.C. also know about this . He has got 4000 shots and most of them has got people too, just that some are not so focus, which some so called pro find it unacceptable. LOL. But somehow, from the description of CC works that get stomped, seems that his style is quite similar to this mentioned world renowned wedding photog. Just that some "pro" here in singapore don't appreciate or just because he is not famous enough?
    Lol talk about being emotional.

  17. #77
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    136

    Default Re: one lens for all

    would like to thank all for the insightful comments.
    I must admit that i might hv got a bit emotional too. Apologise to all.

    In fact, i am just an amateur and working in a totally different line and not likely to have intention to make wedding photography or photography in general for my living.

    As stated clearly in my first post, the statement is purely based on hypothesis, not based valuable experience like those from our pro bros here who are experts in their profession. It is purely based on curiosity and a desire to explore new concept as a hobbyist to photography.

    the "world renown photog" quote is just an illustration of the possibilities, it is not meant to prove or confirm something, and my comments are just my opinion on some of the aspect mentioned in that quote.

  18. #78

    Default Re: one lens for all

    If you have attended more weddings or do more in door photo shoot in places where the light condition change frequently.
    You would have a very good idea what can be done and what cannot be done.
    I eats, shoots & leaves

  19. #79
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    136

    Default Re: one lens for all

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    If you have seen the actual pictures and you still feel the same... my condolences to your taste... (or lack of).
    if you have seen the actual pictures of the "world renowned photog", you will be shocked too Some of the pics in his works are so "extraordinary" [ cannot elaborate much else may get sued] that our Asian values and/or the bridegroom might not be able to accept. Including myself.
    Different strokes for different folks, i guess.

  20. #80
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BTBFM2

    if you have seen the actual pictures of the "world renowned photog", you will be shocked too Some of the pics in his works are so "extraordinary" [ cannot elaborate much else may get sued] that our Asian values and/or the bridegroom might not be able to accept. Including myself.
    Different strokes for different folks, i guess.
    I am talking about the stomp photographer... Have you seen those pictures???

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •