Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: one lens for all

Default Re: one lens for all

Quote Originally Posted by nitewalk View Post
    tell the couple "eh ask your camwhoring friends to bring their own camera, one camera per table, ownself shoot group photo"
    Ah don't forget the Uncle Bobs too can rope them in
    5D/5D3/Zeiss/28-85/100 F2/200 F4/50 F1.4/70-200/24-85/85 F1.4
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/zeisser/

Quote Originally Posted by Zeisser View Post
    Ah don't forget the Uncle Bobs too can rope them in
    I think after reading this thread, Uncle Bobs will start to bring all their 70-200mm lenses to wedding.
    D200

Quote Originally Posted by BTBFM2 View Post
    Understand some folks are doing available light. Wonder if zooms would be able to handle.
    of course, on the other hand, state of the art bodies might be able to compensate with their high iso
    Done that recently, in my cousin wedding with 5D3 on my Contax N 24-85 f/3.5-4.5. Shoot all at ISO 12800 and 25600 with f/5.6
    Now have to process the WB properly especially in the ballroom.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by TigerOyster View Post
    did you prone down?
    LOL....that is a good one

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by frederickykfoo View Post
    Done that recently, in my cousin wedding with 5D3 on my Contax N 24-85 f/3.5-4.5. Shoot all at ISO 12800 and 25600 with f/5.6
    Now have to process the WB properly especially in the ballroom.
    wow, cool
    pardon me, still newbie, never try all these events yet. But i thought WB can be set before starting to shoot?

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    sure you can,
    just simply tell the wedding couple, I don't do this, I don't do that, I don't shoot this this this and this, I will only shoot what I think is suitable for me to shoot.

so no surprise for the wedding couple on their wedding day and you will not get sued after their wedding.
    The comment below is from a world renowned wedding photographer.....He dictates what to be taken. LOL

"A few years ago I had an experience at a print competition that really made me rethink my whole outlook on the wedding photography industry. I entered a print in a regional competition of a small choir boy sat in the stalls looking back toward the camera taken on a wedding day. It was a nice picture, totally journalistic, and I entered to see if would stand any chance at the national competitions.

Upon viewing the print, the judge of this competition disqualified it from the competition because the picture didn’t contain the bride or groom and therefore couldn’t be a wedding photograph. I was absolutely staggered. I thought that the criteria for a wedding photograph was that it had to be taken on the wedding day. How wrong was I?

In the end this experience made me realise that entering competitions wasn’t really for me as they simply held me back. Up to this point I had won something like 150 - 160 awards but looking back those wins were based on pleasing judges rather than my own eye. As soon as I stopped entering, my work improved immeasurably.

Fast forward to today and looking at this image above, I see this image as being a wedding photograph. To many it is a landscape but it was shot on the wedding day. It has a lot of relevance to the clients and depicts an important part of their day. Yes it would be disqualified in a wedding photography competition, but that shouldn’t be a reason for not taking it.

The wedding day had been dominated by the weather. Sunshine and hail showers punctuated the entire day and I wanted something to show that to the clients. I also wanted to remind them of the location of their wedding and the time of year it took place. I was able to do this with this picture shot from the marquee at the groom’s family home during the wedding breakfast. The Autumn landscape dominated by sunshine and heavy clouds really sums up how beautiful and brutal the weather can be at times. Guests looking out from the marquee would have seen this vista, and again on seeing the picture I would hope that it takes them back to the wedding.

Often we are bogged down with various third parties that have little or nothing in common with our clients trying to influence how we take wedding pictures. If the magazines or blogs are to be believed, wedding photography is all about details, details and more details with a smattering of people with balloons skipping through meadows in a haze of yellow wash. National UK competitions favour elaborately posed, over processed bride and groom portraits. To me wedding photography is about taking someone back to the day and helping them relive it. It doesn’t matter if that picture contains people or not, or indeed if it is seen as being part of another genre of photography. As long as it evokes an emotional reaction in my clients then nothing else matters."

Deregistered

you know, this comment reminds me of the saga of "no faces in photo" involving one of our dear member here complaining about his friend who took their AD photos.
    Who says wedding photos must contain people? LOL

Deregistered

"As long as it evokes an emotional reaction in my clients then nothing else matters."

This is good....LOL

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    sure you can,

so no surprise for the wedding couple on their wedding day and you will not get sued after their wedding.
    This world renowned wedding photographer didn't get sued for his "I I I I I me". On the contrary, he is much sought after. LOL

Sometimes, paradigm need to be shifted

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BTBFM2

This world renowned wedding photographer didn't get sued for his "I I I I I me". On the contrary, he is much sought after. LOL

Sometimes, paradigm need to be shifted
    It is very different when you are world renowed. Are you?
    Weddings in western countries are very different from asian and singaporean weddings? Where are we?
    Are you very sure that photographer only used a single lens the entire wedding?
    Did he have 2nd photographers to help him take other shots?
    Have you ever shot a singapore full day wedding as the paid primary photographer before?
    Maybe you should try it you way one time, and come back here to share experience.

Changing the paradigm is not about what you want or don't want. First you must understand what is possible and what is not. Secondly you need to understand the needs and requirements of your paying customers. After satisfying these first 2, then can you change your paradigm... And pray your customers like what you do and not complain the hell out of you.

Talk is easy. Maybe you should try doing it first.. Good Luck. You will need it.

Blog Entries

"As long as it evokes an emotional reaction in my clients then nothing else matters."

This is good....LOL
    I got a better one for you....

When you are paid to do a job, do it properly to meet the needs of your customers first, then aim to go beyond... Not go less.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    I got a better one for you....

When you are paid to do a job, do it properly to meet the needs of your customers first, then aim to go beyond... Not go less.
    cool down, bro.

This is all discussion and i am just expressing my opinions on those comments. This is what forums are for. To share, explore, learn and improve.
    take it easy.

Deregistered

IMHO, i find photos taken with flash look artificial.
    I am a person who like to explore new concept.
    Most probably i would try out with a 85mm coupled with a 35mm [X100?] the next time any of my relatives or friends has got a wedding :-) and go along with the main photog the whole day and see how the result would be.

Blog Entries

Most probably i would try out with a 85mm coupled with a 35mm [X100?] the next time any of my relatives or friends has got a wedding :-) and go along with the main photog the whole day and see how the result would be.
    If setting correct should look natural. Wrong setting then cause it to look artificial, I can't achieve the natural effect but I've seen the natural ones. But then again natural is subjective.

really?
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

This is ridiculous. Why do people always quote things from famous, world renowned photogs etc etc and think they can do the same. Question is. Are you that level yet? Do you think you are that good yet?

Then people also thinks..by getting the (best or rather most expensive equipment) = guarantee superb, good results.
    Then there are also people who thinks..only DSLR can produce good photos.. and the list goes on..

Food for thought.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by TWmilkteaTW View Post
    This is ridiculous. Why do people always quote things from famous, world renowned photogs etc etc and think they can do the same. Question is. Are you that level yet? Do you think you are that good yet?

Then people also thinks..by getting the (best or rather most expensive equipment) = guarantee superb, good results.
    Then there are also people who thinks..only DSLR can produce good photos.. and the list goes on..

Food for thought.
    i notice folks here tend to get emotional easily
    As i hv mentioned, just my humble opinion
    it is also my opinion that flash tend to make photo look artificial. just my opinion, it might not be true depending on who is using it, like one bro has mentioned.

I also personally feel that DSLR may not produce the best photos and i going back to basics, trying out films, trying out all manual film slr.....exploring.....

cool lah, we are all just learning and exploring.... take it easy.....

Blog Entries

i notice folks here tend to get emotional easily
    As i hv mentioned, just my humble opinion
    it is also my opinion that flash tend to make photo look artificial. just my opinion, it might not be true depending on who is using it, like one bro has mentioned.

I also personally feel that DSLR may not produce the best photos and i going back to basics, trying out films, trying out all manual film slr.....exploring.....

cool lah, we are all just learning and exploring.... take it easy.....
    I think what TWmilkteaTW has said is opinionated, but not necessarily emotional. If he agrees to what u say, will u say he is emotional? Or are you saying he is emotional because he does not agee to what u said? Touch your heart.

Opinionated and emotional are different. Having opinions involves emotions, but it is not emotion-driven, hence to claim people are emotional, is a sweeping statement.

What more u said "i notice folks here tend to get emotional easily". Are u going to say i am emotional as well, just because i disagree with what you have said?

In fact, i have read this whole thread I have not seen anyone being emotionally-driven, thus it boils down to your sense of security.

Cheers.

P.S. before i join the "folks who become emotional easily", I state first that I am stating my opinions.

Simple thing...

In FX will be 50mm standard lens

In DX will be 35mm as standard lens

The rest ah.. Not need..

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by nitewalk View Post
    I think what TWmilkteaTW has said is opinionated, but not necessarily emotional. If he agrees to what u say, will u say he is emotional? Or are you saying he is emotional because he does not agee to what u said? Touch your heart.

Opinionated and emotional are different. Having opinions involves emotions, but it is not emotion-driven, hence to claim people are emotional, is a sweeping statement.

What more u said "i notice folks here tend to get emotional easily". Are u going to say i am emotional as well, just because i disagree with what you have said?

In fact, i have read this whole thread I have not seen anyone being emotionally-driven, thus it boils down to your sense of security.

Cheers.

P.S. before i join the "folks who become emotional easily", I state first that I am stating my opinions.
    Good to hear that.
    lets keep it that way.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast