Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: need help. gaffer tape

  1. #1

    Default need help. gaffer tape

    I need help..
    I bought my dslr one year old with the gaffer tape on which claim that it is to protect the camera from scratches.
    However, recently I found that the tape leave a sticky residue if I try to remove it. And it seen very bad.
    Anyone know what should I do to remove the tape, I mean the sticky residue.
    Thanks!!!

  2. #2

    Default Re: need help. gaffer tape

    Quote Originally Posted by ylann View Post
    I need help..
    I bought my dslr one year old with the gaffer tape on which claim that it is to protect the camera from scratches.
    However, recently I found that the tape leave a sticky residue if I try to remove it. And it seen very bad.
    Anyone know what should I do to remove the tape, I mean the sticky residue.
    Thanks!!!
    Depends on how the camera is stored. My gaffered gear from up to 3 years ago, stored in dry box and air conditioned room, still leaves no residue, and removing it felt like it was just pasted on minutes ago. Gaffered gear stored in high humidity and warmer temperature is a different story. When I buy pre-owned gear that has gaffer, seller will be asked to remove all gaffer, otherwise not buying. You never know the gaffer actually conceals damage.

    So you can use another fresh piece of gaffer tape to 'stick off' the sticky residue. If you dont have gaffer, you can try strong duct tape.

    There is also a product available at Home Fix DIY and Self Fix DIY, known as Goof-Off, which will remove the stubborn sticky residue.
    Last edited by sjackal; 12th August 2012 at 12:18 AM.
    WTB Manfrotto RC4 L Bracket

  3. #3
    Moderator ed9119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,929
    Blog Entries
    26

    Default Re: need help. gaffer tape

    use a hairdryer to blow until its really dry ....... let it cool in aircon room ..... then peel off

    i just normally use my fingers to push off any gunk left behind

    agree with above .... when buying 2nd hand and if body gaffered .... do insist on the seller REMOVING every piece of gaffer so that its not hiding any defects
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

  4. #4

    Default Re: need help. gaffer tape

    Quote Originally Posted by ylann View Post
    I need help..
    I bought my dslr one year old with the gaffer tape on which claim that it is to protect the camera from scratches.
    However, recently I found that the tape leave a sticky residue if I try to remove it. And it seen very bad.
    Anyone know what should I do to remove the tape, I mean the sticky residue.
    Thanks!!!
    Use the peel off tape, do some quick multi-taps with slight pressure on the residue area, see the magic, works like a charm every time

  5. #5

    Default

    Get a rag and ligther fluid. Pour some of the lighter fluid on the rag and rub away the sticky stuff
    5DmkIII, sigma 50f1.4, tokina 100f2.8,. 580exII

  6. #6

    Default

    Rub with olive oil. Works, and leaves a pleasant smell for a short while. Just make sure they dun seep in )
    hi

  7. #7
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: need help. gaffer tape

    Quote Originally Posted by sjackal View Post
    Depends on how the camera is stored. My gaffered gear from up to 3 years ago, stored in dry box and air conditioned room, still leaves no residue, and removing it felt like it was just pasted on minutes ago. Gaffered gear stored in high humidity and warmer temperature is a different story. When I buy pre-owned gear that has gaffer, seller will be asked to remove all gaffer, otherwise not buying. You never know the gaffer actually conceals damage.

    So you can use another fresh piece of gaffer tape to 'stick off' the sticky residue. If you dont have gaffer, you can try strong duct tape.

    There is also a product available at Home Fix DIY and Self Fix DIY, known as Goof-Off, which will remove the stubborn sticky residue.
    Using fresh tape to stick and pull out old residue is the best advice. Ed's recommendation of hairdryer is also one of the ways to increase the effectiveness of the removal.

    By the way, Gaffer = Duct = Cloth tape, no matter how some shops/companies tries to glorify their products. You can get a roll of good gaffer tape with the same latex bonding adhesive as apollo for just around $2.50 a 2" x 12 yards roll in the industry. Which is also why I do not understand why Apollo costs so much especially when they do not manufacture their own tape as well.

  8. #8

    Default Re: need help. gaffer tape

    gaffer tape isn't duct tape right?

    I think your seller came from the Duct Side...gaffer tape should not have any residue ?
    Last edited by Shizuma; 12th August 2012 at 09:01 PM.
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    1,462

    Default Re: need help. gaffer tape

    Why paste tape on to the camera body.Are you into this line

  10. #10
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: need help. gaffer tape

    Quote Originally Posted by Shizuma View Post
    gaffer tape isn't duct tape right?

    I think your seller came from the Duct Side...gaffer tape should not have any residue ?
    Gaffer tape = Duct tape... Same...

    Just that there are different kinds of Gaffer/Duct tape. And the differences are very simple: glossy, matt, different colors, and different bond strength (N / sq m). They all use the same non-residue latex adhesive.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 12th August 2012 at 09:38 PM.

  11. #11

    Default Re: need help. gaffer tape

    Thanks for the advice. Will try the tape or hairdryer and update

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •