Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Some bird shots with the 40-150

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    1,376

    Default Some bird shots with the 40-150

    Went to the Bird Park today to test out the 40-150 and at the same time try my hand at some nature photography. Also, tried out the FL-36 in FP mode.

    Bird 1


    Bird 2


    Bird 3


    Bird 4


    Bird 5


    All in all, very impressed with the lens and the flash. Exposures with the flash were great! Very easy to use!

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Northern Singapore
    Posts
    556

    Default

    Hi EvilMerlin,

    I do like the flash effect on Birdies 1, 2 & 5, soft & barely a hint of artificial illumination.

    Thanks for sharing !

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    1,376

    Default

    Oops! Should have been clearer! Only 2 and 3 have flash, the rest were all either handheld or with a tripod. Sorry about that!

    Those birds in Pic 2 won't stay still long enough for a 1/100 shot without causing movement blur while the bird in pic 3 was in a pretty dark enclosure, no choice but to use flash.

    The distance to the subject counts alot I guess. I was experimenting by moving further away and then zooming in so that the flash won't blow the image(or scare the birds away!) Still pretty haphazard, if anybody got a better idea, I'll be very interested to know!

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Northern Singapore
    Posts
    556

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Evilmerlin
    Oops! Should have been clearer! Only 2 and 3 have flash, the rest were all either handheld or with a tripod. Sorry about that!

    Those birds in Pic 2 won't stay still long enough for a 1/100 shot without causing movement blur while the bird in pic 3 was in a pretty dark enclosure, no choice but to use flash.

    The distance to the subject counts alot I guess. I was experimenting by moving further away and then zooming in so that the flash won't blow the image(or scare the birds away!) Still pretty haphazard, if anybody got a better idea, I'll be very interested to know!
    Hi EvilMerlin,

    Hahahaha ... I'm laughing at myself. I can hear the cackling of birds & the circling of vultures :-)
    Last edited by chancy; 30th January 2005 at 01:25 AM.

  5. #5

    Default

    pardon me asking this q,
    in FL36, wat's the diff bet. TTL and FP TTL?
    thx in adv.

    p/s: nice shot btw

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wizardboy007
    pardon me asking this q,
    in FL36, wat's the diff bet. TTL and FP TTL?
    thx in adv.

    p/s: nice shot btw

    FP-TTL will allow the flash & the camera to sync above 1/160 sec, whereas the TTL will sync up till 1/160

    hope this helps

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    1,376

    Default

    And do it all in in auto mode, just set the Shutter Speed on camera and the flash handles the rest.

    But as can be seen in some of the photos, you still need to judge for yourself how far away you need to be in order to prevent blowing out the photo.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Evilmerlin
    And do it all in in auto mode, just set the Shutter Speed on camera and the flash handles the rest.

    But as can be seen in some of the photos, you still need to judge for yourself how far away you need to be in order to prevent blowing out the photo.
    If u are too close the wide panel might help.

  9. #9

    Default

    thx guys.
    wide panel is a.k.a those omni bounce? to soften the flash?

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    1,376

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chii
    If u are too close the wide panel might help.

    Damn! I never realised that the FL-36 had that! Err...what does it do ah?

    @Wizardboy007
    Its a panel that you can pull out from the flash and cover the front.

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Evilmerlin
    Damn! I never realised that the FL-36 had that! Err...what does it do ah?

    @Wizardboy007
    Its a panel that you can pull out from the flash and cover the front.

    yes i know about the panel. what i mean does it works something like those omni bounce to produce softer flash effect?

  12. #12

    Default

    The Olympus FP-TTL really helps in such situation. I can still use flash with big-aperture, high shutter speed in such situation. I tested, and it really works with shutter speed up to 1/4000 sec!

    This is fantastic, and I don't need to put on an ND filter for portrait shots with fill-in.

    Such a high speed 'sync' is not available on other competetive prosumer range D-SLR cameras!

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ykkok
    The Olympus FP-TTL really helps in such situation. I can still use flash with big-aperture, high shutter speed in such situation. I tested, and it really works with shutter speed up to 1/4000 sec!

    This is fantastic, and I don't need to put on an ND filter for portrait shots with fill-in.

    Such a high speed 'sync' is not available on other competetive prosumer range D-SLR cameras!
    yeap... luv the 1/4000 sec..

    but u will still need a ND filter if u are shooting potrait with very bright background...

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •