Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Small shoulder camera bag for mirrorless cameras

Default Small shoulder camera bag for mirrorless cameras

Hi guys, firstly I would like to acknowledge that I know there are many camera bag threads out there and many options can be gotten with a simple search on google or using the forum's search engine. I have already done an extensive search, but could not find a bag that meets my needs and I was hoping that someone out there has seen a bag that fits the requirements. It seems hard to find a small bag that allows you to fit a tripod.

Requirements
    1. Shoulder sling bag
    2. Small form factor (Just enough to fit X-Pro1 + 3 lenses)
    3. Has a way to fit a tripod securely (to fit a small tripod, similar to SIRUI T005)
    4. No velcro
    5. Below $175

Good if got
    • Looks good
    • Canvas
    • Preferably not overly padded (like a Lowepro)
    • Not too expensive

The closest I got was a Billingham 5 series bag which is WAY to large for my needs. It would defeat the purpose of getting a mirrorless system if my bag is that large.
    Last edited by DemonicAngelz; 10th August 2012 at 11:45 PM.

Default Re: Small shoulder camera bag for mirrorless cameras

Alternatively I could get a normal small shoulder bag (Billingham Hadley small, Domke F-5XB, etc.) if I had good way of carrying the tripod around...

Quote Originally Posted by DemonicAngelz
    Alternatively I could get a normal small shoulder bag (Billingham Hadley small, Domke F-5XB, etc.) if I had good way of carrying the tripod around...
    Check out NG 2346. Light weight. Use your creativity to hook your tripod. Within your budget. Travel friendly. Canvas.
    Last edited by ataraxist; 11th August 2012 at 12:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ataraxist

Check out NG 2346. Light weight. Use your creativity to hook your tripod. Within your budget. Travel friendly. Canvas.
    Wow. Googled that and it looks good. Where to find in Singapore?
    hi

Quote Originally Posted by ataraxist View Post
    I actually saw this before I posted. I thought it was a good idea and I could use some rope to tie the tripod to the two hooks up front. However, I was thinking it would be quite insecure in the sense that it would be attached to the hook on the flap of the bag instead of to the bag itself, making it lopsided and hard to cary.

I actually saw this before I posted. I thought it was a good idea and I could use some rope to tie the tripod to the two hooks up front. However, I was thinking it would be quite insecure in the sense that it would be attached to the hook on the flap of the bag instead of to the bag itself, making it lopsided and hard to cary.
    Depending on your tripod size. Usually I carry the tripod separately. Also...do u use tripod all the time? If so, you should look for back pack instead that comes with tripod pouch.

Quote Originally Posted by silvermoon1407

Wow. Googled that and it looks good. Where to find in Singapore?
    Tk foto. Cathay photo. It's overseas travel friendly it comes with back-strap to slot into luggage handle n carry handle on top of the bag.

Quote Originally Posted by ataraxist View Post
    Depending on your tripod size. Usually I carry the tripod separately. Also...do u use tripod all the time? If so, you should look for back pack instead that comes with tripod pouch.
    I guess I should explain the rationale for a small shoulder bag. I need it to fit into a hand carry luggage on budget airlines, so I prefer it to be as small as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by DemonicAngelz View Post
    I guess I should explain the rationale for a small shoulder bag. I need it to fit into a hand carry luggage on budget airlines, so I prefer it to be as small as possible.
    I've got a small cute Mickey Mouse shoulder bag from Challenger Hougang Mall last week $17+
    PM me your email & I'll sent you some photos of that bag if you wants to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by chicken chop View Post
    I've got a small cute Mickey Mouse shoulder bag from Challenger Hougang Mall last week $17+
    PM me your email & I'll sent you some photos of that bag if you wants to see it.
    I'm not sure if this is a sarcastic post...

Quote Originally Posted by chicken chop

Hahaha... next thing u know.. he will suggest using a plastic bag...

Haha! Relax dude. I've seen the mickey mouse bag. It's a decent legit camera bag. The mickey mouse design doesn't negates its purpose. Cheers.
    hi

Must it be a real camera bag, i.e. padded and with compartments and all? If not, you can consider Porter. They have a wide range of Messenger bags, both leather and nylon (think parachute nylon weaving). They're thinly padded so protection is not as good as a camera bag. But they are amazingly light weight, and fashionable.

Quote Originally Posted by Drillbit

Must it be a real camera bag, i.e. padded and with compartments and all? If not, you can consider Porter. They have a wide range of Messenger bags, both leather and nylon (think parachute nylon weaving). They're thinly padded so protection is not as good as a camera bag. But they are amazingly light weight, and fashionable.
    http://www.bigfoottraveller.com/site...ter_camera.png

This one looks good.

Never consider Thinktank Retrospective 5 or 7?

There are not many shoulder bags that allow you to hook on your tripod, Thinktank UD series allow that but you lose ability to place your bag on the floor.

I'm an x-pro1 user myself and I use Retrospective 7. Just the right size but I usually don't bring my tripod out.
    Fujifilm X-Pro2 Graphite, X-Pro1
    XF 14/2.8, 18/2, 23/2, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 60/2.4, 55-200/3.5-4.8

Quote Originally Posted by DemonicAngelz View Post
    I am not being sarcastic...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/84721543@N04/
    Last edited by chicken chop; 11th August 2012 at 03:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drillbit View Post
    Doesn't have to be a camera bag. Using inserts are fine.
    Main thing must be able to carry small tripod easily and not bulky.

Quote Originally Posted by chicken chop View Post
    I am not being sarcastic...

Flickr: MissPiggy11's Photostream
    Hey sorry man. You just told me about a weird sounding bag (no offence), I thought you were kidding at that point.

How'd u attach a tripod though?

Quote Originally Posted by yrh0413 View Post
    Never consider Thinktank Retrospective 5 or 7?

There are not many shoulder bags that allow you to hook on your tripod, Thinktank UD series allow that but you lose ability to place your bag on the floor.

I'm an x-pro1 user myself and I use Retrospective 7. Just the right size but I usually don't bring my tripod out.
    I consider the Retrospective 7 the right size too... Just that it can't attach tripod..

UD is too big though, the smallest one has the following specs: "Urban Disguise® 40 V2.0, Briefcase size camera bag that carries a pro or regular size DSLR with a standard zoom lens attached, 2–4 additional lenses, including a 70-200 f2.8"

Folded tripods like the Gitzo 1541/1542T should fit under the main flap... Use the Velcro to fasten it. There is a metal hook in the Retro7 that allows you to clip onto the tripod.

Well... Just thinking out of the box I prefer had carry my tripod as I like keeping my bag light.
    Fujifilm X-Pro2 Graphite, X-Pro1
    XF 14/2.8, 18/2, 23/2, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 60/2.4, 55-200/3.5-4.8

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast