Thread: Working Title: Ducati Exit

Default Working Title: Ducati Exit

Hello all,

Below is my submission for critique.

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
    Composition, WB

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    To display the contrast of the straight lines of the warehouse and the curves of the Ducati

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    Afternoon\early evening light

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    As of point 1, I think the WB may be off, I did PP to adjust but may have push the Blue too much. But I think it came out ok.
    < < Photography-On-A-Budget > >

Default Re: Working Title: Ducati Exit

i like the contrast of lines and colours here, but feel that the framing is too tight at the left, right and bottom of the image. correcting the slight greenish cast on the exit door will give a more pleasing colour contrast between the blue walls and white exit door. Can also try a pano format to accentuate the horizontal elements of the photo more and to balance out the tight framing at the bottom.
    Last edited by zaren; 10th August 2012 at 01:48 AM.
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

sweet ride.

I prefer original, maybe just abit more space on the bottom. Would like the bike not to be so close to the edge of the bottom..

Don't know why ... the composition just not putting audience at ease, to the extent of getting boring (eyes running constantly left to right to left) despite the striking color, everything looks so flat and lifeless, as if no air has passed at all.

So still that even that slight non-perfect horizontal windows line sound so loud!
    In the first place why bother to take this at all, its neither a advertisement of the bike nor the story of the ambient ...pure puzzling in the end.
    Our Mind The Aperture =<=OMTA=>=

Personally I love it, I think a 16:9 or 2.35:1 crop would do better.

But one thing I find was a waste is that you just shouldve gave the bike a little more breathing room!
    Frame down left a little bit.

But I'm more biased here because I'm just simply loving the bike right now...

Blog Entries

To me, the main thing I have an issue with is the interference of subject with the window. It could be a lot more successful if it was more minimalistic.

I like this shot, the windows in the background really do form a nice pattern. However, I feel that a more contrasting colour would have made the Ducati stand out more. Say maybe a Red. I agree with some others that it is a little too tight a crop on the bike. And lastly, I think I would have done away with the door as it is really contrasting and draws the attention away from the bike. If possible, I would have tried to frame in a way such that the windows continue all the way to the right. My 2 cents worth.

Overall, it is still a great shot. Sharp of you to have made use of the nice patterned windows. Kudos !

Thank you all for the critque and also for those who came in to take a look.

Quote Originally Posted by Raied View Post
    Personally I love it, I think a 16:9 or 2.35:1 crop would do better.

But one thing I find was a waste is that you just shouldve gave the bike a little more breathing room!
    Frame down left a little bit.

But I'm more biased here because I'm just simply loving the bike right now...
    Ok, will take note of it. In my defense, I was using a 28mm focal length (FF lens) with a 1.5 cropped body and there wasnt much room left for me to back away. Yeah the ride is sweet I guess, I am not much of a bike person but I appreciate the curves and the engineering behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by nitewalk View Post
    To me, the main thing I have an issue with is the interference of subject with the window. It could be a lot more successful if it was more minimalistic.
    I already find it quite minimalistic actually but I prefer the straight lines of the windows to contrast the curves of the bike. But I will take note about your comment. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by kachang90 View Post
    I like this shot, the windows in the background really do form a nice pattern. However, I feel that a more contrasting colour would have made the Ducati stand out more. Say maybe a Red. I agree with some others that it is a little too tight a crop on the bike. And lastly, I think I would have done away with the door as it is really contrasting and draws the attention away from the bike. If possible, I would have tried to frame in a way such that the windows continue all the way to the right. My 2 cents worth.

Overall, it is still a great shot. Sharp of you to have made use of the nice patterned windows. Kudos !
    Thanks! Im not sure if there is a red version of this Ducati model, only had this to work with. I prefer the door there though but taking it away might work just as well, with the windows all the way to the right. I cant stretch the windows, maybe a tight crop. Thanks again for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by zaren View Post
    i like the contrast of lines and colours here, but feel that the framing is too tight at the left, right and bottom of the image. correcting the slight greenish cast on the exit door will give a more pleasing colour contrast between the blue walls and white exit door. Can also try a pano format to accentuate the horizontal elements of the photo more and to balance out the tight framing at the bottom.
    Thanks for the pano input! Will take note about a better crop. As my reply to Raied, I had no room to back away using a 1.5 crop body using an FF lens at 28mm. Will make it more wider if I am doing this concept shots again.

Quote Originally Posted by eleveninth View Post
    sweet ride.

I prefer original, maybe just abit more space on the bottom. Would like the bike not to be so close to the edge of the bottom..
    Yup, its a nice bike. As of my above replies, will make my shot more wider next time

Quote Originally Posted by CZJena View Post
    Don't know why ... the composition just not putting audience at ease, to the extent of getting boring (eyes running constantly left to right to left) despite the striking color, everything looks so flat and lifeless, as if no air has passed at all.

So still that even that slight non-perfect horizontal windows line sound so loud!
    In the first place why bother to take this at all, its neither a advertisement of the bike nor the story of the ambient ...pure puzzling in the end.
    I never thought my picture will turn to an enigma but if its thats how you see it, then so be it. Thanks for the critique!

Quote Originally Posted by CZJena View Post

I don't think there is any problem with a person taking a photo of a bike and blue background. A photo doesn't necessary be an advertisement or a story. It can be the pleasure of viewing the bike or the contrast colors.