Thread: Are you willing to pay more for a better after-sales service?

Default Are you willing to pay more for a better after-sales service?

For your camera, computer or mobile phone, are you willing to pay a bit more for better quality and after-sales service?

For me, especially notebook computer, I would pay a bit more for better quality and after-sales service. My fav brand is Lenovo and Thinkpad. I have been to their service centres, both the Lenovo at Bukit Timah SS and Thinkpad at Changi Business Park. They do the service on-the-spot for you. Especially for your notebook, could you afford to be without it for like 1 week or 10days?

BTW, if you were to send to SC and then, collect a few days later, it means 4 trips and time and transport wasted.

Of course, best is to have zero down time, zero breakdown and zero problems.
    Last edited by La Fontaine; 9th August 2012 at 11:16 AM.
    Do not be afraid [of ghost and bullies] Shoot them......

Default Re: Are you willing to pay more for a better after-sales service?

Depend on the item, cost of the item and cost difference between the the same item...

Scuba & Father... For Life

I prefer to buy very good build product which doesn't require a lot of maintenance and visiting service centers.

Even if the after service is very good, the consumer would still incur costs of time to get it serviced...I would rather the extra $ be channeled to making a better and more reliable product.
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

Most of them dont bother much on after sales service nowadays. No matters how expensive your stuffs are. So, if this brand service no good, I jump, haha!
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

service is key to keeping customers.

but, as a service provider, i find that most Singaporeans are pretty unreasonable when it comes to handling service personnel.

A very long time ago, I bought a Toshiba laptop computer.
    It seemed not functioning well, plus I needed a replacement for the mouse socket cover.
    The service department of the agent Data Dynamics somewhere in Kallang Sector wanted money just to inspect it, even if at the end there was nothing wrong.
    They charged an exorbitant sum for the little plastic flap mouse socket cover.
    I decided never to buy another Toshiba computer for the rest of my life, because of this after sales service.
    Last edited by ricohflex; 9th August 2012 at 01:40 PM.

How about Asus? My laptop DVD drive seems to have issues recently...quite hesitant to send it down if the downtime is too long

Been using the Dell Xps. Love their on sites warranty.
    Dxxxx | 35/1.8 | 50/1.8 | Tokina 28-70 | Panny G1 | 14-45 | 25/1.7
    My Flickr

Previously, I own the Starhub with recording features setup box and I have to pay for it. It's under Thomson, keeps having problems. I was told to bring it to Hougang and the place is remoted! So, after a long journey there, I was told to come back another day to get it as they need to repair. LL lor, go over again and when brought back, same or even lousier. So, back to there, I complain to them as it's pointless to repair, give me a new one better. They still makes me to wait for an hr for a new one. After this incident, SH change their policy to rental and so, when I converted to HD, the box says good bye to me. If current HD spoilt, I got 1 to 1 exchange and if I stop subscription, no box for me even I paid during the first time
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

Just remember, for my car, got 5year warranty. About a year ago, my driver seat lumber support adjustment stopped working. At the Toyota SC at Sin Ming, they told me that they dun have the part in stock!!! I was so very surprised as I tot they should have at least 1 set of parts even for those items that almost never breakdown. But their explanation was that such an item almost never breakdown and so, they dun keep such part. Even then, my car model is such a popular one here in SG.

So, the service advisor told me that he will indent for the part and will call me in about 3 weeks time when the part arrived. But that is pretty inconvenient that I got to send my car there again after 3 weeks. But, apart from that, this car is pretty reliable.

Not sure about German or French cars, but IMO, Toyotas and Hondas are pretty reliable. I will still stick to Toyota.
    Last edited by La Fontaine; 9th August 2012 at 09:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post
    A very long time ago, I bought a Toshiba laptop computer.
    It seemed not functioning well, plus I needed a replacement for the mouse socket cover.
    The service department of the agent Data Dynamics somewhere in Kallang Sector wanted money just to inspect it, even if at the end there was nothing wrong.
    They charged an exorbitant sum for the little plastic flap mouse socket cover.
    I decided never to buy another Toshiba computer for the rest of my life, because of this after sales service.
    Didn't know that there is such thing called a flap mouse socket cover! USB socket? Well, is such a cover essential to the laptop? If not why border to replace it. My Lenovo notebook has got a dummy plastic SD card that acts as a dust cover for the SD card slot. I dun border to put it back after using my SD card. Anyhow, this machine has got a total of 8 sockets for dust or water to get in, plus the cooling vents.

Very often, SC as a cost centre runs on a deficit, so that got to charge higher for their service and parts.

That is why between say the iphone and Samsung phones, just think how much stock of parts iphone would need.

Singapore has not reached the 1st world standard of living. That is my personal observation. Many Singaporean although live within the same income bracket, they didn't enjoy the same lifestyle simply because they struggle to match it.

When that happen, they basically try to achieve all the material gains by paying for it from their hard works. However, they don't really have time to enjoy them. So, when come to services, they are more unwilling to pay more than necessary but they are already paying more than what they could afford!

Another observation is, when they didn't pay for the service or pay less, they want more than what they have paid for if it is free. In recent years, people 'tends' to demand otherwise complain. So the meaning of good service is distorted.

When you see people are gracious and they don't rush for material gains, you know they have made it. Maybe that is why we have this term Kiasu. Trying to live 1st world citizen but the fact is that we arent there yet, so keep trying.

So paying more seems out now for most. Even if they pay more, they expect more!

wise man told me:

less thing in life, happier.

i thought to myself:
    lesser things in life, more time to enjoy each of them individually.

(i know this is a bit off topic)
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

I don't have good experience with local after-sales service after a bad experience with Kiara Technology few years back.

It is good to have a connection to get those eletronic kind of stuffs hardware so if there any problem, can always give them a ring and replace one.

I only pay base on my user experience:
    - compare WD Green and WD Red drives, I pay $80 more to get 3 years warranty on the Red drive instead of 2 years on the Green. That's because my HDD dies quite often on my storage boxes (they run 365x24x7).
    - I have very good experience with Apple products (they hardly fail). My Dell Vostro and Latitude laptops developed hardware failure after the warranty expires. My iPod video, my 1st gen iPad still functions very well. Thus I don't mind paying the "Apple tax" on Apple products.

I strongly believe manufacturers should not cut corners by making their products less durable, and charge a premium for "extended/ upgraded warranty". Do you know that nowadays you need to pay for Dell's ProSupport warranty? Their default warranty is pretty much useless nowadays.

If the product is good I don't even need after-sales support. Any form of defect = loss of productivity, loss of time = waste of money.
    Fujifilm X-Pro2 Graphite, X-Pro1
    XF 14/2.8, 18/2, 23/2, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 60/2.4, 55-200/3.5-4.8