Thread: Keeping your birding lenses

Default Keeping your birding lenses

Hey pro birders,

Just wondering, since the size of birding lenses are so huge, how do you keep them to maintain humility? Thanks.
    ==================================================
    Canon 5DMK3 |Fujifilm X-E2, X-T1|

Default Re: Keeping your birding lenses

Quote Originally Posted by Aikiway View Post
    Hey pro birders,

Just wondering, since the size of birding lenses are so huge, how do you keep them to maintain humility? Thanks.
    A big dry cabinet.
    Alpha

A matter of training and patience.
    EOS

Hey pro birders,

we hug it, pamper it, sleep with it.
    Take both its legs down first, then cuts its tail, next is shoot between its eyes:devil:

Quote Originally Posted by Aikiway
    Hey pro birders,

Aaaaah, humility.... well, we tell the lenses not to make fun of smaller lenses. Everyone is built differently, and it's not good to make fun of lenses that are shorter in focal lenghth and with less girth.

For our own humility, we try not to strut too much around the other lens daddies. Pride in your massive equipment is not attractive.
    Alpha

I am using old 500mm manual lens which I got it less than a huge dry cabinet. So I kept it in my lowepro bag specially for it zipped close with dehumidifier inside. So far for past 1 year things are fine.. but if you bought a lens that costs many thousands then it would be worth to get a huge dry cabinet for it.

Hey pro birders,

Humility - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

With the hood taken off they are not as big as they seem, and will fit a proper sized dry cab in vertical position

If you have the money to afford huge lenses that cost MANY thousands. (i mean really huge kind..not the 70-200 or 70-400 range of sizes..)

Then..buying a huge dry cabinet should be peanuts to you. (Infact, you should have already be prepared for it before you buy the huge lens)

so simple, just upsize your dry cabinet lor.
    even a teenage front counter staff from McDonald will also tell you the same thing too.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    so simple, just upsize your dry cabinet lor.
    even a teenage front counter staff from McDonald will also tell you the same thing too.
    Of course, if I was looking for a conventional answer, even the teenager in McDonalds can ask. I'm just wondering any non-conventional users here got other methods to share..cos this idea just crossed my head...

Quote Originally Posted by gundamseed84
    I am using old 500mm manual lens which I got it less than a huge dry cabinet. So I kept it in my lowepro bag specially for it zipped close with dehumidifier inside. So far for past 1 year things are fine.. but if you bought a lens that costs many thousands then it would be worth to get a huge dry cabinet for it.
    Answers like this.

Quote Originally Posted by shierwin
    Yes, I understand the crap autocorrect gives sometimes. Why do CS users keep harping on computer-generated messages? ;P

Use it everyday. That way you dont even have time to keep it in the dry cabinet. Out hot weather here is enough to dry out any moisture. (unless its raining)

My old 500mm fit nicely in a Digilab 60L cabinet with all the shelves removed. For my 600mm, I keep it inside my Digilab AD-100 cabinet. Cpst of cabinet is not expensive compared to the lenses. My 100L only $2++ when I bought it years back. not sure how much it cost now.