Thread: Scale Modeling + Photography

Default Scale Modeling + Photography

Besides taking photos, my other hobby involves building and painting scale models (mainly aircraft). I would love to try to marry the 2 hobbies and shoot better photos of my models. Below are several photos of my recent builds. I would really appreciate some honest critique and tips as to how I can improve on the quality of the photos. These were shot with a Canon EOS 450D + Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 non-VC lens. Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Scale Modeling + Photography

My experience is Planes are most difficult to shoot as they are large and nee big light source.....I tried using flash - doesn't work out as some are shining surfaces. Yet to try using softbox

For your pictures the decals wordings can't see clearly

here is my simple set up for table top product shot, you need some reflectors and mirror to bring out some of the details.

hope this help.

Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    here is my simple set up for table top product shot, you need some reflectors and mirror to bring out some of the details.

hope this help.

WOW ! Can I know including stand and this source how much need to spend ? The lighting continuous and if so how many watts ?

I like to shoot model aircrafts too but until now just could not get it "right"

Hi Madcat your model plane looks fantastic. Great job on the paint.

As for getting the 'right' look, are you looking to make it look like a photo of a real plane or aphoto of a model plane? If its the former, it'd require quite a bit of work to 'trick' the eye. You can start by using an even longer lens/tighter shot. The lighting would be much trickier to mimic real life lighting. Let me play with some setups over the weekend and maybe I'll post them up if they work out.

Again, congrats! The plane is really cool looking.

Beautiful work with the models (unfortunately a niche hobby nowadays with the instant gratification of video games).
    I used to do Tanks and later 28mm wargaming minis.

Sorry, can't help much about technique to make the shots look better.
    The lighting seems nice enough to me.
    Perhaps a bit more sharpness would be nice (were you using a miniature effect? )
    May exposure can go up a bit too...

Keep it up!

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post

hope this help.

Wow I would love to have this set up at home!! if I got enough space haha

a little explanation on my set up;

the table is a 2' by 3' feet foldable table, I bought a piece of 4'x8' white color matte surface laminate sheet, aka formical, cut it into 3'x4',
    using large paper clips to secure one side to the table, and using a step ladder to support the other size to make it up right, you can see the step ladder under the table.

I bought compressed form board from art friend, some matte finishing silver adhesive sheets from fancy paper to stick it to one side of the board, so I have reflectors with white on one side and silver on the other side,
    and also some acrylic mirror from art friend, the double clips are expensive, I paid $15 each many years ago. you can also use some canned food with blu-tac as alternative support for the acrylic mirrors

the light is Still light AC Softbox 50x70cm bundle from Tagotech, a boom stand will make your life easier.

the cube is nice to have, but not a necessity.

hope this help.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Nice planes! your pictures make me feel like starting up my compressor and start doing my gunpla again! The pictures looks nice enough for me but some pictures the plane seem to be abit blur?
    Pentax K-30, Pentax Program Plus, Sigma 10-20, 35/2.4, 77/1.8, 18-55wr, 50-200wr, A50/2, M28/2.8

Thanks for the tips and feedback, guys! I'll try some of the suggestions on the next model that I shoot. The set up that catchlight has looks really good but I don't think I have the space to do something similar. I used a single overhead table lamp for the shots. I'll probably try using home-made reflectors for future shoots to eliminate shadows cast by the overhead light.

The photos of the F-15 and F-2 (dark grey and blue planes) were shot when I first started with a DSLR and at that time I did not know much about aperture and ISO settings. I was also using the EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens. The F-5 (first set) was shot earlier this year but I had upgraded to the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 lens and had read up more on the settings which I could manipulate.

Any opinions on the colour of the background? I'm thinking of changing to something like light blue. Once again, thanks for all your advice and feedback.

Your models are stunning! You paint all those? really lovely work.

May be the background can use some other like patches of green or camo green with the right DOF can really bring out your beautiful model planes. I find too much shadows in your pic. you need to diffuse the light source more.
    NIKON f2.8 black GOLD
    Canon pure White