Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Choosing a micro four third

  1. #1
    Member Aikiway's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    on the east side of Singapore
    Posts
    278

    Default Choosing a micro four third

    Hi all,

    Just wanna know, on a choice for a micro four third system, which would be a better option?

    1. Olympus E-PL3
    2. Canon EOS-M
    3. Sony NEX 3N.

    Thanks, just wanna get a general feel of preference..
    ==================================================
    Canon 5DMK3 |Fujifilm X-E2, X-T1|

  2. #2

    Default Re: Choosing a micro four third

    2 and 3 is not micro 4/3 system..they are mirrorless systems. same as 1

    Nex have focus peaking tweak..so its good if ur using Manual lenses.

    1,3, can get EVF to use under direct sunlight..
    Dun think Canon have it.

    1,3 can use all other lenses via proper adapters but dun expect AF in them.

    so my choice is Oly (cos im using a ep3...hee..)


    BTW might wanna check what lens u have right now..might be useful if ur getting M4/3 systems.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Choosing a micro four third

    Quote Originally Posted by Aikiway View Post
    Hi all,

    Just wanna know, on a choice for a micro four third system, which would be a better option?

    1. Olympus E-PL3
    2. Canon EOS-M
    3. Sony NEX 3N.

    Thanks, just wanna get a general feel of preference..
    Only the E-PL3 is micro 4/3s. Why? Because m4/3s is just a TYPE of mirrorless camera. Mirrorless is NOT the same as m4/3s.

    Of the 3, the NEX has the biggest sensor (full DSLR APS-C size), but less lenses and the lenses are bigger. You really really need to try them in a shop and decide which one you like best. They all have their own strengths, and what may be important for some may not matter to you.
    Alpha

  4. #4
    Moderator rhino123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    5,247

    Default Re: Choosing a micro four third

    Like what others had mentioned, only EPL3 is a micro 4/3 camera, the others are not.

    Of the three... Canon's had the least native lenses available (only 2) with adapter she could fit the EF and EF-S lenses, but up till now, no one know how was the performance if fitted with adapter and using EF and/or EF-S lenses. The focusing speed of Canon's EOS-M is not amazing as was seen from youtube video, but for normal usage it is good enough. I believe that among the three, EPL3 should have the fastest focusing speed.

    Of the 3, EPL3 had the smallest sensor (x2 crop factor) and in theory high ISO noise performance is going to be the worst. It also has the least pixel (12MP as compared to Canon EOS-M - 18MP and NEX-3n - 14MP).

    Like what Raskhae had mentioned, all three are excellent camera, you would have to go to the shop and have a feel of them (Canon EOS-M is not out yet though), then see which one you like best.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

  5. #5
    Member Aikiway's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    on the east side of Singapore
    Posts
    278

    Default Re: Choosing a micro four third

    Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    Like what others had mentioned, only EPL3 is a micro 4/3 camera, the others are not.

    Of the three... Canon's had the least native lenses available (only 2) with adapter she could fit the EF and EF-S lenses, but up till now, no one know how was the performance if fitted with adapter and using EF and/or EF-S lenses. The focusing speed of Canon's EOS-M is not amazing as was seen from youtube video, but for normal usage it is good enough. I believe that among the three, EPL3 should have the fastest focusing speed.

    Of the 3, EPL3 had the smallest sensor (x2 crop factor) and in theory high ISO noise performance is going to be the worst. It also has the least pixel (12MP as compared to Canon EOS-M - 18MP and NEX-3n - 14MP).

    Like what Raskhae had mentioned, all three are excellent camera, you would have to go to the shop and have a feel of them (Canon EOS-M is not out yet though), then see which one you like best.
    Paiseh, apparently I still cannot tell the difference. I've none of the lens for the cameras mentioned above, maybe except for the canon eos-m. I'm looking for one that is more like a general shooting kind, of cos not using it for professional work. Maybe I should have just wrote mirrorless. haha..
    ==================================================
    Canon 5DMK3 |Fujifilm X-E2, X-T1|

  6. #6
    Member Aikiway's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    on the east side of Singapore
    Posts
    278

    Default Re: Choosing a micro four third

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Only the E-PL3 is micro 4/3s. Why? Because m4/3s is just a TYPE of mirrorless camera. Mirrorless is NOT the same as m4/3s.

    Of the 3, the NEX has the biggest sensor (full DSLR APS-C size), but less lenses and the lenses are bigger. You really really need to try them in a shop and decide which one you like best. They all have their own strengths, and what may be important for some may not matter to you.
    Personally I've tried handling 1 and 3, somewhat prefer the oly more due to stability of the whole kit. Sony feels awkward becos of the tweety bird design. (big head small body)
    ==================================================
    Canon 5DMK3 |Fujifilm X-E2, X-T1|

  7. #7

    Default Re: Choosing a micro four third

    Quote Originally Posted by Aikiway View Post
    Personally I've tried handling 1 and 3, somewhat prefer the oly more due to stability of the whole kit. Sony feels awkward becos of the tweety bird design. (big head small body)
    The E-PL3 has barely any grip which makes it worse to hold. if you're looking at Olympus, i'd suggest you up your budget and get the OM-D

  8. #8
    Member Aikiway's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    on the east side of Singapore
    Posts
    278

    Default Re: Choosing a micro four third

    Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    The E-PL3 has barely any grip which makes it worse to hold. if you're looking at Olympus, i'd suggest you up your budget and get the OM-D
    Feels alright for me though. But no OM-D lah. Personally I feel it looks damn ugly.
    ==================================================
    Canon 5DMK3 |Fujifilm X-E2, X-T1|

  9. #9
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Bukit Batok
    Posts
    6,687

    Default Re: Choosing a micro four third

    Quote Originally Posted by Aikiway View Post
    Feels alright for me though. But no OM-D lah. Personally I feel it looks damn ugly.
    Looks is certainly one thing. The OMD sensor performance(which is from Sony) is excellent and big step up from EPL3(hi iso & dynamic range). PLus there are more controls & EVF which will make it easier for DSLR users to switch over. If you set on EPL3, do get the Richard Franiec grip which works well.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Choosing a micro four third

    Only EPL3 is a m4/3 camera in your list.

    Anyway, imo, look at the OMD, G3, GX1 or even G5.
    All these use a newer and better 16mp sensor (different sensor between the Oly and Panasonic cameras though)
    Personally, I think the OMD is the best one yet for m4/3 (on camera SR; very good JPG), though for the price (1/2 of an OMD) I'd still stick to my G3.

    The GX1 was crazy cheap in the US for a short while too.

  11. #11
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Bukit Batok
    Posts
    6,687

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam

    The GX1 was crazy cheap in the US for a short while too.
    I almost click on that superdeal...

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •