Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The one hard disk to buy

Quote Originally Posted by agws1970

Hi Rashkae,
    Sorry to OT a bit, what RAID do you use currently. thinking of getting one but a bit blur about current terminologies.
    Thanks.
    PS I do google but just thought a user could give me a little insight. Hehe.
    I use an internal raid, just set in the bios. My external backup is a 3tb drive on usb3. I can have 2 disks fail and still not lose data.
    Alpha

Default Re: The one hard disk to buy

There is only 3 HDD makes now. Seagate, WD and Toshiba. Seagate bought over Samsung HDD and WD bought over Hitachi.

Frankly electronics is a lot on luck. Failure rate for all brands should be the same.
    Last edited by lthg25; 10th August 2012 at 12:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    The enclosures come *with* the drives. You just set the RAID mode in the device setup (all clearly explained) and you're set. It's really easy.
    oic ok thanks. Agree that it does not sound too hard, but I'm sure you still pay more above plain ol' drives hee... that said if TS still considering RAID then I think the internal RAID way is better, as data is mirrored immediately, rather than relying on a backup program.

Quote Originally Posted by lthg25 View Post
    There is only 3 HDD makes now. Seagate, WD and Toshiba. Seagate bought over Samsung HDD and WD bought over Hitachi.

Frankly electronics is a lot on luck. Failure rate for all brands should be the same.
    okok thanks for the update... hard to keep up man, only time remembered very clearly was the old days where there was Western Digital, Seagate, IBM, Maxtor and Quantum My IBM 6gb and Quantum Fireball 20gb still working hehe...

Quote Originally Posted by thoongeng View Post
    oic ok thanks. Agree that it does not sound too hard, but I'm sure you still pay more above plain ol' drives hee... that said if TS still considering RAID then I think the internal RAID way is better, as data is mirrored immediately, rather than relying on a backup program.

okok thanks for the update... hard to keep up man, only time remembered very clearly was the old days where there was Western Digital, Seagate, IBM, Maxtor and Quantum My IBM 6gb and Quantum Fireball 20gb still working hehe...
    They don't make electronics like they use to. They are not made to last long.....

The reality is that all drives will eventually fail. The question is only when. Manufacturers quote a mean time between failure (MTBF) for reference. Consumer drives, such as the ones you get in the enclosures that come with drives, typically have a lower MTBF than enterprise or server drives.

Knowing that all drives will fail, you should plan for it. For example, simple strategies are grandfathering - rotating 3 sets of backups, or a RAID array. RAID 1, 5 or 6 are good. Take a look at QNAP, Buffalo, Drobo, Synology.

For on site backups, try to have multiple backups. Return back to studio/home, copy to RAID.

If you are really paranoid, have another copy at another location in case of fire/break-ins.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12