Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Wide angle lens recommendations

  1. #1

    Default Wide angle lens recommendations

    Guys,

    I urgently need some recommendations for a wide angle lens ideally with some zoom capability for portrait and landscape.

    This will be my walkabout lens for my travelling use.

    Currently am using Sony a55.

    I have 2 lens in mind but not sure if is ok to get it as really am in a noob stage.

    Sal 16-80

    Another one

    Sal 1650

    The 2nd lens I love it cos of its f2.8 but of the zooming capabilities not sure if 50 16-50 is sufficient.

    Need some enlightenment on this.

    Appreciate that. Thks

  2. #2
    Moderator rhino123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    5,247

    Default Re: Wide angle lens recommendations

    Quote Originally Posted by instinctloh View Post
    Guys,

    I urgently need some recommendations for a wide angle lens ideally with some zoom capability for portrait and landscape.

    This will be my walkabout lens for my travelling use.

    Currently am using Sony a55.

    I have 2 lens in mind but not sure if is ok to get it as really am in a noob stage.

    Sal 16-80

    Another one

    Sal 1650

    The 2nd lens I love it cos of its f2.8 but of the zooming capabilities not sure if 50 16-50 is sufficient.

    Need some enlightenment on this.

    Appreciate that. Thks
    Nobody except yourself know if that range is enough for you. Some people can made do with just 24mm maximum focal range, while others needed 200mm. You need to try up with your 18-55mm and see if that range suits you. If not, then you will not be happy with the 16-50mm.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

  3. #3

    Default Re: Wide angle lens recommendations

    Why not rent both them from a camera rental shop and try them urself? lens preference is very subjective. person-to-person point of view.

  4. #4
    Senior Member edutilos-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Universe
    Posts
    5,991

    Default Re: Wide angle lens recommendations

    If you have been using a lens on your camera sometime now, assuming it is the kit lens, you can generally tell what you prefer based on how you use the kit lens and go from there. Everyone works differently, if you don't shoot any shallow DOF photos or low light photos with relatively fast shutter speed, you won't need the fast lens. If you don't shoot anything longer than 55mm you probably would not miss 50-80mm range. So on so forth, it depends on you and you alone.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Wide angle lens recommendations

    if you narrowed on these 2 lenses, i would suggest 16-50 but you need a converter just incase you want to capture long distance subjects...

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by denzelwng4
    if you narrowed on these 2 lenses, i would suggest 16-50 but you need a converter just incase you want to capture long distance subjects...
    There is a function for digital zoom in the A55. Go into the menu and look for "smart teleconverter"

  7. #7

    Default Re: Wide angle lens recommendations

    Oh last question.

    Assuming zooming is not an issue, which is a better choice?

    Beside Sony lens, any lens like sigma or tamron to recommend?

  8. #8
    Moderator rhino123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    5,247

    Default Re: Wide angle lens recommendations

    Quote Originally Posted by instinctloh View Post
    Oh last question.

    Assuming zooming is not an issue, which is a better choice?

    Beside Sony lens, any lens like sigma or tamron to recommend?
    Better in what sense? Both a good lenses.

    If you let me choose, I would choose the 16-50 for the fix aperture (and at f2.8 it is a fast lens), but that is me.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •