Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 40

Thread: Traffic updates

  1. #1
    Member Bukitimah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,261

    Default Traffic updates

    Everyday, 93.8 will provide LTA traffic updates and also information given by callers. Without fail, you will hear the same situation repeated at the same spots. Even the DJ says he is just playing a 'pre recorded tape'.

    If that is so, can't LTA station staff to ease the traffic during this peak hours? Although our traffic lights are suppose to be 'smart', it can't beat human. Of course, there will still be jams but it is those irresponsible drivers that cut queue or heavy vehicles that drive on the outer lane that make thing worse.

    Do you guys have any suggestions for our transport minister?

  2. #2

    Default Re: Traffic updates

    we must depend on ourselves.
    Eat breath LIVERPOOL!!!

  3. #3

    Default Re: Traffic updates

    the best way to solve traffic jams is for all the drivers to stop changing lanes unless absolutely necessary
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

  4. #4

    Default Re: Traffic updates

    Quote Originally Posted by Bukitimah View Post
    Everyday, 93.8 will provide LTA traffic updates and also information given by callers. Without fail, you will hear the same situation repeated at the same spots. Even the DJ says he is just playing a 'pre recorded tape'.

    If that is so, can't LTA station staff to ease the traffic during this peak hours? Although our traffic lights are suppose to be 'smart', it can't beat human. Of course, there will still be jams but it is those irresponsible drivers that cut queue or heavy vehicles that drive on the outer lane that make thing worse.

    Do you guys have any suggestions for our transport minister?
    A few post later somebody will post say it is not LTA fault / Singaporean like to complain. Of course not minister fault too. It is our fault. Working class people fault. Our fault. Don't worry.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Traffic updates

    Coincidently. I was travelling along shenton way. Saw a TP moving in and out. Monitoring road condition. Alway stopping to check lorry carrying foreign workers. First time see a true blue TP patrolling t he road. A rare sight.


    But the CBD IS NOT EVEN one of the congestion area.

  6. #6

    Default

    Ive been driving & riding for more than 2 decades. I've been using the CTE when it was just built till now. No matter how many new lanes are opened, there'll still be traffic jams, unless LTA & TP push for laws to enforce and book road hoggers rather than fast cars. In these 20+ years the main cause of traffic jams are slow drivers hogging the right lanes, refusing to filter left despite being tailgates by a string of cars trying to overtake him/her. Cars wanting to go fast/ emergency vehicles, etc cannot overtake bcos of the road hogging morons. People have died while stuck in ambulances blocked by these road hogging morons, traffic jams are caused by these hoggers, and higher ERP charges are caused by these road hoggers. To alleviate the jams, get rid of these road hoggers. First offense for road hogging- $10,000 fine, 2nd offense for road hogging $100,000 fine, 3rd offense for road hogging , gantung lisen. Confirm traffic will be faster and smooth flowing with less accidents.

  7. #7
    Senior Member giantcanopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    6,232

    Default Re: Traffic updates

    Quote Originally Posted by dreaming View Post
    Coincidently. I was travelling along shenton way. Saw a TP moving in and out. Monitoring road condition. Alway stopping to check lorry carrying foreign workers. First time see a true blue TP patrolling t he road. A rare sight.
    Actually getting more and more common. Or my work coincides with their work.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bukitimah View Post

    Do you guys have any suggestions for our transport minister?
    Apart from improving the public transport systems, they need to reduce the number of cars on the road. Good luck with either of that.

    But I really hope Singapore becomes more cycling friendly like Amsterdam. Not asking cyclists to zip around congested traffic, but proper cycling lanes could really help.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Traffic updates

    AYE. BEFORE LOWER DELTA exit. Always jam. But after the lower delta exit the expressway is clear. And cars can speed up.

    What is the cause here?


    For over 20 years. Nobody is solving this problem? In fact to the left of the expressway, there is some clearance to create a filer lane around the corner into lower delta. But those ppl are turning a blind eye

    Oohs. It not their fault. Not lta fault Not minister fault. Not anybody fault it is our fault . working class fault. Born to be poor fault. Not any body fault. No complaining.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Traffic updates

    cycling ! in other countries cyclists got their own lane.
    Last edited by ninelives; 7th August 2012 at 09:44 PM.
    Objection !!!

  10. #10

    Default Re: Traffic updates

    someone please ask LTA to Netherlands and start learning , erp, coe wont resolve the problem., cycling will, common sense... :

    Last edited by ninelives; 7th August 2012 at 10:07 PM.
    Objection !!!

  11. #11

    Default Re: Traffic updates

    Quote Originally Posted by dreaming View Post
    A few post later somebody will post say it is not LTA fault / Singaporean like to complain. Of course not minister fault too. It is our fault. Working class people fault. Our fault. Don't worry.
    yea it is you know. all those people who own cars

    whose else are we to blame then? the people who take public transport?


  12. #12
    Senior Member Kit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Upper Bukit Timah
    Posts
    11,650

    Default Re: Traffic updates

    I use PIE to travel from Bukit Timah to Pasir Ris everyday. In the morning, trouble spots are just before the Lornie Road and Stevens Road exits. In the evening travelling back, its almost always the stretch before the BKE exit. At the Lornie Road exit, the slip road is the culprit. 2 lanes into one and you get a bottle neck. Backed up all the way to PIE. I think it should be the same for Stevens Road as well. Overcrowded slip road. As for BKE, I think there's just too much traffic.

    Alternatively, I use BKE, then to SLE, then onto TPE. Longer route but its clear most of the time.

  13. #13
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: Traffic updates

    It's the traffic bottlenecks that are the killers... I travel from Bedok to Bukit Merah via the Bartley / Braddell road before I continue to Lornie / Adam towards Queensway. And everyday, its the same... bottleneck at the slip road of Bartley to the Airport road (towards KPE), same thing at the sliproad to CTE at Braddell. Same situation at Lornie which may jam up badly if there is any issues along the road all the way to PIE exits... Near Queensway, also the exits can be jammed up pretty badly...

    Too many vehicles on the roads which can only accommodate so many vehicles?
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  14. #14

    Default Re: Traffic updates

    yeah, i always traveled from kim chuan rd to bukit batok, always jam like hell after 5. i will try to leave before 4:30. was thinking of cycling there, only 18km. but quite scary the traffic....
    Objection !!!

  15. #15
    Member Bukitimah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,261

    Default Re: Traffic updates

    Quote Originally Posted by dreaming View Post
    AYE. BEFORE LOWER DELTA exit. Always jam. But after the lower delta exit the expressway is clear. And cars can speed up.

    What is the cause here?
    .
    My observations. Singapore is right hand drive and slow vehicles need to keep left. If you have a 3 lanes highway, the heavy vehicles need to keep to the left lane (lane 3). However, if you are driving along the highway and need to filter out, you will face difficulties since your path is blocked by these slow vehicles. So you need to slow down. Now lane 2 is slowed down.

    If you are driving straight and the car in front slow down to filter left, you want to get out to the outest lane. that cause the 3 lane which is the overtaking lane to slow down. At the end of the day, the filter lane is bottle neck. Worst when those who want to filter out of the highway get caught and cannot filter out, the whole highway lane 1 is jamed and others will try lane 2 and if necessary lane 3. So the highway is a traffic junction!

    Why so many heavy vehicles during peak hours? Just look out today when you drive. There are plently heavy vehicle either ferrying goods or building supply during peak hours. Some empty lorry or a crane driving to work! Surely they too are caught in the jam and by the time they reached the designation, it is already late. All we need is such vehicles be allowed out on the road before 6 or after 9 am. Similar to evening timing.

  16. #16
    Senior Member UncleFai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,429

    Default Re: Traffic updates

    LTA's answer to jam is of course: ERP and COE. And they have the stats to show that they are very effective.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Kit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Upper Bukit Timah
    Posts
    11,650

    Default Re: Traffic updates

    This morning again kena jam on PIE, before Lornie Road exit. Otherwise its smooth.

  18. #18
    Senior Member Kit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Upper Bukit Timah
    Posts
    11,650

    Default Re: Traffic updates

    Quote Originally Posted by Bukitimah View Post
    My observations. Singapore is right hand drive and slow vehicles need to keep left. If you have a 3 lanes highway, the heavy vehicles need to keep to the left lane (lane 3). However, if you are driving along the highway and need to filter out, you will face difficulties since your path is blocked by these slow vehicles. So you need to slow down. Now lane 2 is slowed down.

    If you are driving straight and the car in front slow down to filter left, you want to get out to the outest lane. that cause the 3 lane which is the overtaking lane to slow down. At the end of the day, the filter lane is bottle neck. Worst when those who want to filter out of the highway get caught and cannot filter out, the whole highway lane 1 is jamed and others will try lane 2 and if necessary lane 3. So the highway is a traffic junction!

    Why so many heavy vehicles during peak hours? Just look out today when you drive. There are plently heavy vehicle either ferrying goods or building supply during peak hours. Some empty lorry or a crane driving to work! Surely they too are caught in the jam and by the time they reached the designation, it is already late. All we need is such vehicles be allowed out on the road before 6 or after 9 am. Similar to evening timing.
    That's essentially paralysing construction, manufacturing industries just to name a few......

    Its would be easier asking you to give up driving.
    Last edited by Kit; 8th August 2012 at 11:25 AM.

  19. #19
    Senior Member giantcanopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    6,232

    Default Re: Traffic updates

    Quote Originally Posted by UncleFai View Post
    LTA's answer to jam is of course: ERP and COE. And they have the stats to show that they are very effective.
    Obviously the ERP system pricing is still not high enough to dissuade commuters from using the roads. Any other novel approach to reduce the cars on roads / congestation will involve some sort of financial disincentives once again. In the end the road users who complains of the congestion will find the solution no more palatable either. Pretty much damn if you do, damn if you don't ..

    But I'd hope that along with the transport taxations going on, there is rigorous improvement and funding on public infrastructures, or putting in more effort to create cycling lanes for commuters ( ). Commuters should not feel short-changed on both ends, and we should be provided with good alternative public transport options.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Traffic updates

    Quote Originally Posted by giantcanopy View Post
    Obviously the ERP system pricing is still not high enough to dissuade commuters from using the roads. Any other novel approach to reduce the cars on roads / congestation will involve some sort of financial disincentives once again. In the end the road users who complains of the congestion will find the solution no more palatable either. Pretty much damn if you do, damn if you don't ..

    But I'd hope that along with the transport taxations going on, there is rigorous improvement and funding on public infrastructures, or putting in more effort to create cycling lanes for commuters ( ). Commuters should not feel short-changed on both ends, and we should be provided with good alternative public transport options.
    you know... i thought that this topic is over-discussed in various threads

    currently i've seen that along the PIE, they're expanding the width of the roads. this can also be seen on the CTE. it's just a matter of time.

    hopefully they don't do something stupid like adding just 1 more lane.

    and to me, making sure that all vehicles filter in and out on the expressway on a single lane is good. else, you'll see people trying to enter the expressway from all directions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •