Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do u tell a pic has the X-Factor?

X factor to me is something in the pic that lures a person (anyone, can be pro, can be newbie, just anyone) into a pic, and still attracts him/her for a second look after his/her eyes have left the pic for the first round. Get it?
    Kind Regards
    My Picture Website

X-factor and X-generation is outdated liao

now is Y-factor..
    sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT ONG
    X factor is ......

If you are a newbie taking picture subject placed in the center, old bird will tells you should placed the subject off-center ....

If you are a well known photographer and took subject placed in the center, they will say that's a nice image!!!

You are soooo da*n right!!! and alot more will come along like lallang and talak the fart that the "expert" gives...
    Last edited by satan_18349; 29th January 2005 at 03:20 AM.

X factor is some technology breakthrough, something mistery, something uncommon and something controversy

That's why there is X-ray...X-film, X-file, X-men and X-wife j/k

OK...seriously...x-factor in photo should be something very catchy, attractive and stands out if being piped against others
    Last edited by Big Kahuna; 29th January 2005 at 02:41 AM.

I have X on toast for breakfast.
    Time, is an effortless construction :)

70-200 VR is soooooo X- pensive...!!!!

Deregistered

rule no.11 if you like it enough and feels its x factored enough....then it has x factor....and if someone else disagrees, listen politely, and tell that person he/she can kiss your ass

also i dont think just standing out visually means its got the x factor or whatever, its gotta have emotional content and meaning as well...

x-factor means....u look at a pic and say "wow"!

y-factor means....u look at a pic and say "big deal", then look at it 1 week later and say "wow"!

masterpiece means....everyone looks a pic and says "big deal", and 50 years later everyone says "wow"!

Deregistered

This thread can move to kopitiam liao

Quote Originally Posted by espn
    This thread can move to kopitiam liao
    Hahaha...
    with all the rubbish commments...

what student said is quite true...

Quote Originally Posted by student
    I think an image is great when it impacts on the mind and heart. An image I return to again and again. An image that I like to bring to show others again and again. An image that says a great deal about the subject in a fresh manner. An image that tells a story...

However, it must appeal to a majority of your audience.
    If only a few says it's nice, does it count as having an X-factor? Maybe that few expectation quite low.

Add on... The viewer will be able to see the story just by looking at the image. No one reads the captions 1st then see the pic.

Hope more people can add on...

Another perspective would be to id those photographers who may have the x factor.

Their photographs are well sort after and X-pensive! Perhaps they have some x factor...

Prices at recent auctions:
    Andre Gursky - US$600,000
    Diane Arbus - US$478,000
    Walker Evans - US$136,000

Quote Originally Posted by mjjphoto
    Another perspective would be to id those photographers who may have the x factor.

Their photographs are well sort after and X-pensive! Perhaps they have some x factor...

Prices at recent auctions:
    Andre Gursky - US$600,000
    Diane Arbus - US$478,000
    Walker Evans - US$136,000

Here comes another point...
    Is the photograph good because the photograher is popular? Or is it the photographer is good, & that is why the photograph has the X-factor?

I must admit, I never heard of those 3 that u've mentioned before. Maybe coz they existed before i do. But did a search from the net, and can't seem to find any X-factor in the photographs taken by the 2nd and 3rd person (can't find any photos by Andre). Or maybe it's just my eye.

So i hope someone can tell me too, do those 3 have the X-factor? Really puzzling right?

Or maybe because only 1 of their photos have an X-factor (maybe by luck?), & that is why they're so well known?

Oops...typo. Should be Andreas Gursky. You may go to this link for some of his photos:

http://www.moma.org/exhibitions/2001/gursky/

A quote taken from the website which may provide some insight...

"The distinctiveness of this achievement arises from the hybrid character of Gursky’s art, which draws upon a great diversity of precedents, currents, and techniques. He has embraced the gaudy blandishments of advertising without abandoning the keen observations of documentary photography. He has emulated the grandeur of German Romantic painting and the principled reserve of Minimalist abstraction in part by exploring the hyperbolic fictions of digital manipulation. Gursky’s polished, signature style is the fruit of restless experiment; the more he has welcomed divergent and often mutually antagonistic impulses into his art, the more it has become his own."

Some one please explain the following factors :-

A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H,I,J,K,L,M,N,O,P,Q,R,S,T,U,V,W,Y,Z

I want to see if I have taken enough different ones to spell a very rude word.

There is the saying "Life is like a box of chocolates"

Can a similar saying apply to photo's eg. "Photography is like Alphabet Soup"

Considering the 2 sayings .....
    If you don't eat Chocolate does it mean you don't have a life.
    If you are alergic to soup, will you break out in spots if you use a camera.

Cheers.
    Time, is an effortless construction :)

X factor as in sometimes when u see the photo all that is seen is a big red X??? haha

on another note....when viewing the photo lighting composition and subject muz all blend in to get an OOMPH!!! factor = X factor for me...

its more of a feeling really la...

cheers..

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT ONG
    X factor is ......

If you are a newbie taking picture subject placed in the center, old bird will tells you should placed the subject off-center ....

If you are a well known photographer and took subject placed in the center, they will say that's a nice image!!!
    101% AGREE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by zaren
    x-factor means....u look at a pic and say "wow"!

y-factor means....u look at a pic and say "big deal", then look at it 1 week later and say "wow"!

masterpiece means....everyone looks a pic and says "big deal", and 50 years later everyone says "wow"!
    True!
    That's a good one!

Quote Originally Posted by AReality

Here comes another point...
    Is the photograph good because the photograher is popular? Or is it the photographer is good, & that is why the photograph has the X-factor?

I must admit, I never heard of those 3 that u've mentioned before. Maybe coz they existed before i do. But did a search from the net, and can't seem to find any X-factor in the photographs taken by the 2nd and 3rd person (can't find any photos by Andre). Or maybe it's just my eye.

So i hope someone can tell me too, do those 3 have the X-factor? Really puzzling right?

Or maybe because only 1 of their photos have an X-factor (maybe by luck?), & that is why they're so well known?

Why is Mona Lisa painting so famous? Is it because it's by a famous painter or is that smile so "nice" that it got the painter famous, and the entire world currently Still debating if that woman actually exists or not.

hmm the X-factor question

There is a reason that "factor" was named "X"
    Since most items/projects/etc....that are prefix with an X, are for "Experimental" or "Unknown"

It denotes the "Undescribe-able" factor (If it could be described or explained it wont be called 'X' right?) , be it a model, a art or photograph
    Very often it varies from person to person.

"Lord of the rings" movie was turned down by several Movie Company who didnt think it will be a hit IF it was made, until one company decided to give it a try.

I recall there was this piece of "ART" on display that i read abt, that it is actually, a "sand box with lumps of dog faeces"
    Apparently someone or the "artist" thought it was pretty artistic abt the way or the arrangement of the faeces (Talk abt X-factor) and it is still on display in a art museum.
    Last edited by Winston; 30th January 2005 at 03:06 PM.

If its shot in KODAK PROFESSIONAL TRI-X it has the X factor.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast