Thread: email address forged to send virus... HELP!

Default email address forged to send virus... HELP!

damn... my corporate email address under a local ISP is being forged by some other pc systems in dunno which location in the world to send virus and the virus will send thru email & it will bounce back to my email account resulting in every minute at least 60 emails... and since now i can't do a thing about it...

contacted the isp & they say its best i change my email address. (think its simplest to them) but the problem is my email address is printed on all my invoices, delivery order, advertisement in yellowpages, greenbook, etc etc... so is there anyway to just get rid of all these?
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

do filtering? bounced back email usually got certain title/subject. i already used to it till no feeling liao, those ppl too free to do this kind of things.

I thought the antivirus will block the mail if it containts virus? Anyhow I suspect you are being spamed instead, so get a spam killer like Symantec Brightmail etc, they will filter the content before it reaches your inbox

some may reply email notification. anyway check the bounced email got attachment or not, if so, most likely it is virus instead, which trying to pretend it is bounced email.

i use mcafee spam killer also same... just overnight have about 3k mails... it should be done on the server side i suppose... which only the ISP can do. when mailbox get flooded , have spamkiller also useless..

this is a reverse NDR attack or a directory harvest attack (of the other machine), the only way is to block by keyword.

GFI mail essentials and GFI mail security (both smtp products) can work to block your virus messages and keyword blocking. (freeware version available)

I also use http://martijnjongen.com/Default.aspx?tabid=37 ORFilter for Microsoft Exchange for my customised spam blocking needs.

I roughly get 300 spam messages (about 5 are 419 spam, another 3 are lottery spam) a day.. almost all are blocked, I just check for false positives in my spam folder

I use Outlook rules to move those spam stuff to the delete folder.

actually my main problem is that the mailbox is always full and hence nobody can send any email via it... just wonder if my ISP can do anything about it, they just suggest i change my email address...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

oh ya... i even subscribed to the mailguard & anti spam service, still like tat... sianz...

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt
    actually my main problem is that the mailbox is always full and hence nobody can send any email via it... just wonder if my ISP can do anything about it, they just suggest i change my email address...
    Tell them, an email nowadays is something like a personal identification method, would you change your ISP name if somebody was using it to cheat money?

And if the person insists there's nothing they can do, time to move up the appropriate ladder of command and talk to his superior, go up higher and higher. You'll find one that will be able to give solution.

Just don't blast the person handling your call.

hmm good idea espn...

but just need some idea wat to tell them, to get them moving... like u say, email is like a IC now, would the govt gimme a new IC? unless i migrate to other countries ya... so tell them... u wan me to switch ISP?

Deregistered

Yeah, that's one good one, they obviously don't understand what your email is for and the importance of it.

There should be a standard reply header from the failed/bombed emails, all the admin needs to do is to filter out based on the header/subject for a few days till the matter is over. Of course, it's dangerous that it might filter off important emails, but at least you get the rest...

Quote Originally Posted by espn
    Yeah, that's one good one, they obviously don't understand what your email is for and the importance of it.
    actually i told the guy liao... cos its corporate email, hence the corporate dept called when i email them about it...

Deregistered

Then all the more you should screw the helpdesk, since it's a CORPORATE ACCOUNT, how to change??

Kok their heads whilst you're at it