Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help: Dust Proofing for canon 60D

Default Re: Help: Dust Proofing for canon 60D

Most important part is to get a clear/protection filter.

I thought 60D is weather sealed?

Otherwise, why pay anything for a glorified plastic bag as shown in your photo sample.
    I'd just use a good thick transparent ziploc bag, cut a hole in it for the lens.
    Put the camera in and seal the ziploc + tape up.
    Then tape the cut hole where the lens protrudes.
    Best thing about it is that in the case that the dust enters the cover, you can change to a brand new one

If your lens is not weather sealed, its still a risky proposition. Armour column moving in Ex. Wallaby is super dusty.
    The piston action of the zoom and/or AF will suck in fine dust if its not WS.
    In such cases, I'd suggest 'bagging' the lens and not using the zoom if condition is suspect.
    Last edited by pinholecam; 8th August 2012 at 03:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post

Otherwise, why pay anything for a glorified plastic bag as shown in your photo sample.
    I'd just use a good thick transparent ziploc bag, cut a hole in it for the lens.
    Best thing about it is that in the case that the dust enters the cover, you can change to a brand new one

If your lens is not weather sealed, its still a risky proposition. Armour column moving in Ex. Wallaby is super dusty.
    In such cases, I'd suggest 'bagging' the lens and not using the zoom if condition is suspect.
    I thought it's not? because of the swivvel screen?

Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam

Not professional looking enough lar! But I guessed it works...

Btw, TS, are u sure u are authorized to bring such cam gear for ex wallaby. I have been to ex wallaby before, and they are pretty strict about such things to use on camp. If its for R&R, it's only a short while, and you won't face such dusty situation.
    "Photography is an austere and blazing poetry of the real" -Ansel Adams

Checked out optech rainsleeve yet?

dear senior pinhole cam: 60D is not fully weather seal, but some min sealing which is better then nothing. only 7D onwards has weather sealing i think.
    Thanks for the advice, maybe i will just shoot at 17mm without zooming
    Canon 60D | And Legs as Lens to cover every single focal length i ever needs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12