Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 42

Thread: Photography as Hobby (how much will you spend??)

  1. #1

    Default Photography as Hobby (how much will you spend??)

    How much would ypu spend on your gear as a hobby?

  2. #2

    Default Re: Photography as Hobby (how much will you spend??)

    Question can also be: "How much have you spent?"

  3. #3
    Senior Member sinned79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,849

    Default Re: Photography as Hobby (how much will you spend??)

    alot until i dun want to monitor how much i spent already.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Photography as Hobby (how much will you spend??)

    spending on equipment and gear cost lesser than my expenses during photography trips... that's just me.
    Fujifilm X-Pro2 Graphite, X-Pro1
    XF 14/2.8, 18/2, 23/2, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 60/2.4, 55-200/3.5-4.8

  5. #5

    Default Re: Photography as Hobby (how much will you spend??)

    Quote Originally Posted by chengpenguin View Post
    Question can also be: "How much have you spent?"
    Quote Originally Posted by sinned79 View Post
    alot until i dun want to monitor how much i spent already.
    same situation here

  6. #6

    Default Re: Photography as Hobby (how much will you spend??)

    my friend is into hifi stuffs his gears now amount to more than $100k, he even said his gears are not even considered as high end

    i just wonder how much will he spend if he is into photography

  7. #7

    Default Re: Photography as Hobby (how much will you spend??)

    Always have a amount in mind to spend on getting the gears i want, but once u step into the shop and see...Wow...so many good stuff...!!! BBB...in the end it always overshot the amount u say u can spend...hehe...!!!

  8. #8

    Default Re: Photography as Hobby (how much will you spend??)

    Quote Originally Posted by yrh0413 View Post
    spending on equipment and gear cost lesser than my expenses during photography trips... that's just me.
    My problem is that I spent so much on equipment that I don't have money for any trip.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Photography as Hobby (how much will you spend??)

    Get married; have kids; buy a house; buy a car. Best way to stop spending on photography is when you have hardly anything left over to spend hehe.
    |EOS, Fuji X and Leica M Systems | Need more good pictures to justify gear | www.ef2pt8.com |

  10. #10
    Senior Member giantcanopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    6,232

    Default Re: Photography as Hobby (how much will you spend??)

    A healthy amount that should not compromise the other essential things in your life / family .

  11. #11

    Default Re: Photography as Hobby (how much will you spend??)

    about 15k, but sold about 10k away. so total about 5k. damn... i need more overtime to get back my stuff....
    When the shooting gets tough, the tough gets shooting.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    A village in a forest
    Posts
    1,515

    Default Re: Photography as Hobby (how much will you spend??)

    Quote Originally Posted by BraveHart View Post
    Get married; have kids; buy a house; buy a car. Best way to stop spending on photography is when you have hardly anything left over to spend hehe.
    This is my situation now...... still can't find that extra budget to even upgrade my almost 9 year old DSLR body..... Family, house and car comes 1st.....LOL!!
    Canon 80D|Panasonic LX3/LX5
    35f2 IS|50f1.8|85f1.8|12-24f4|18-135f4-5.6 IS|28-75f2.8

  13. #13

    Default Re: Photography as Hobby (how much will you spend??)

    Can i say "How much will I save in my cabinet" ?
    Sometimes, it is even better than "investing" in Equity or puttting it in Zero Interest Bank.
    | 5Diii | 24 ii | 40 | 24-70 ii | 24-105 | 70-200 F4 IS | 270 ii | 600EX-RT |

  14. #14
    Member JohnJon82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Lavender
    Posts
    453

    Default Re: Photography as Hobby (how much will you spend??)

    Quote Originally Posted by ahboy168 View Post
    Can i say "How much will I save in my cabinet" ?
    Sometimes, it is even better than "investing" in Equity or puttting it in Zero Interest Bank.
    But the cameras and most lens depreciate very fast, negative interest.
    Canon EOS 600D | 17-40 L | 24-105 L | 100 L | 50mm 1.8II | BG-E8

  15. #15
    Member eawtan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    1,370

    Default Re: Photography as Hobby (how much will you spend??)

    Total amount less than my current annual income tax (amount paid to the government) ....
    Last edited by eawtan; 3rd August 2012 at 04:54 PM.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Photography as Hobby (how much will you spend??)

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJon82 View Post
    But the cameras and most lens depreciate very fast, negative interest.
    Yes, I agreed for Camera body. Probably depreciate 50% every 3 years+.
    For lens (especially the popular L lens), depreciation is little as long as u use it !
    | 5Diii | 24 ii | 40 | 24-70 ii | 24-105 | 70-200 F4 IS | 270 ii | 600EX-RT |

  17. #17

    Default Re: Photography as Hobby (how much will you spend??)

    Quote Originally Posted by ahboy168 View Post
    Yes, I agreed for Camera body. Probably depreciate 50% every 3 years+.
    For lens (especially the popular L lens), depreciation is little as long as u use it !
    "What? your lens code is USXXXX? Ok I offer you 30% lower"
    "no more warranty? Ok I offer you xxx"
    "discontinued lens? My offer xxx"

    You don't receive these SMS when you sell your stuff?
    Fujifilm X-Pro2 Graphite, X-Pro1
    XF 14/2.8, 18/2, 23/2, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 60/2.4, 55-200/3.5-4.8

  18. #18

    Default

    My oldest lens is UY ....
    | 5Diii | 24 ii | 40 | 24-70 ii | 24-105 | 70-200 F4 IS | 270 ii | 600EX-RT |

  19. #19

    Default Re: Photography as Hobby (how much will you spend??)

    Quote Originally Posted by yrh0413 View Post
    "What? your lens code is USXXXX? Ok I offer you 30% lower"
    "no more warranty? Ok I offer you xxx"
    "discontinued lens? My offer xxx"

    You don't receive these SMS when you sell your stuff?
    lol I hate these lowballers.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Photography as Hobby (how much will you spend??)

    Definitely agree with your statement that hifi indulgence can be alot more expensive than photography. A pair of high-end speaker cables can buy a Canon 1DX with L lens I've got a friend whose home hifi cost almost half a million but he is using a 5dMk2 only. As for me, I try not to spend too much on photography as I am just a hobbyist with a 5dMK3 and a few lens - total cost around 20k. I do spend quite a bit more on hifi though, more than 5 times as much as compared to photograhy eqpt

    Quote Originally Posted by linkk View Post
    my friend is into hifi stuffs his gears now amount to more than $100k, he even said his gears are not even considered as high end

    i just wonder how much will he spend if he is into photography
    1DX, 8-15L, 24-105L, 70-200 2.8L IS II, 16-35L F4, 100-400L IS II, 1.4TC MK2, 2TC MK3, 600EXRT.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •