Thread: Da*n stupid fencing referee and time keeper

Default Da*n stupid fencing referee and time keeper

One second left to fence. Germany versus Korea.
    The fencing moves obviously took morre than 1 second.
    All the dumb dumb officials debate so long on it. Incredibly stupid.

Just play back the video with the time running. You can see the time split down to 1/100th of a second in slow motion.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Da*n stupid fencing referee and time keeper

ya but some sports do not officially recognize video playback
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

Yup, saw that moment too. To me its so so dumb. With 1 second left, for a sport like fencing, when either competitor can move back and forth, its considered game match over. Just imagine looking at the TV screen with 2 of them posing for the start of the final 1 second of the match. Even if the Korean lunged forward, it would take a huge effort to jump at the German who would surely move backwards. So funny to run out the last second like that.......they should change the rules and let the time run out for future similar case or set a minimum time left to compete further.

The crux of the matter was this, the referee had already made the decision, SO they had no choice but to support her and the referee did nothing wrong according to the rules.

As the commentators explained very well, it's a human and electronic problem. The referee gives the verbal command, but the timekeeper slow to respond, the fencer strikes, makes contact clock stopped because of the strike, so still at 1 second.

So in reality and this might happen now, the referee, should be the person starting the timer, not giving a verbal command to someone else.

The Korean lady was lucky in the end she was not black carded, because the Korean coach and support staff wouldnt let her off the platform.

I really applaud the official whom took the time to explain to her why she should leave and try to go for the bronze.

Cheers ....
    40D|BG-E2N|24-105L F4.0 IS USM |70-200L F2.8 IS USM

Obviously you don't have a clue what was going on. She was forced to stay on the stage while they make the decision on the appeal, because fencing rules state that leaving the stage would have signified her acceptance of the result. It took them f***ing 45 minutes to make the final decision. Imagine yourself having to stay on the stage in full view of all the audience for that 45 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Deyeno View Post
    The crux of the matter was this, the referee had already made the decision, SO they had no choice but to support her and the referee did nothing wrong according to the rules.

As the commentators explained very well, it's a human and electronic problem. The referee gives the verbal command, but the timekeeper slow to respond, the fencer strikes, makes contact clock stopped because of the strike, so still at 1 second.

So in reality and this might happen now, the referee, should be the person starting the timer, not giving a verbal command to someone else.

The Korean lady was lucky in the end she was not black carded, because the Korean coach and support staff wouldnt let her off the platform.

I really applaud the official whom took the time to explain to her why she should leave and try to go for the bronze.

Cheers ....

from what i read, the Korean lady should have won.

Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    ya but some sports do not officially recognize video playback
    American football vs European football

But some say the human error is what makes the game so much loved

Quote Originally Posted by leesh0222 View Post
    Obviously you don't have a clue what was going on. She was forced to stay on the stage while they make the decision on the appeal, because fencing rules state that leaving the stage would have signified her acceptance of the result. It took them f***ing 45 minutes to make the final decision. Imagine yourself having to stay on the stage in full view of all the audience for that 45 minutes.
    You obviously didnt read what I had said. I understood the rules, and why she couldnt leave the stage initially until it was sorted out. I watched the whole event, SO I did have a clue to what was going on.

The announcers were very good at explaining the technical rules of what was happening and why this was happening.

BUT after the decision was made official, and she still didnt leave the stage she was Yellow Carded, if she refused to leave after this, BLACK was the next option.

Hence my comment about the official whom finally talked her to leave the stage and to fight for the bronze.
    Last edited by Deyeno; 1st August 2012 at 03:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    from what i read, the Korean lady should have won.

She should have won, the german lady had 4 bites at the cherry to win and had the Korean lady on the back with stage position, as the Korean lady was right on her fault line, which if she had been forced out of bounds, automatic win to the german.

But as I said above its a technical problem from when the Referee gives the command and the timekeeper presses the start button on the time clock, she reacted very slow because the german lady struck fast and stopped the clock with her contact.

So in this case how long is 1 sec nearly 4 seconds.
    Last edited by Deyeno; 1st August 2012 at 03:09 PM.

My 6th sense tells me something is not right. Can someone check whether the Austrian referee recently took a huge bank loan from any German bank?
    For unknown reason, the clock was set back to 1 second after it ran out to 0.
    The overly cool reaction of the German fencer is not normal - it is as though she already knew all this will happen before hand - as though all this is pre-meditated.

It is wrong to explain away how 1 second can drag to 4 seconds by spinning a story of how the time keeper was slow to press the time start.

Scientifically, the time lapse of 1 second is 1 second, regardless of whether any time keeper can press fast enough. It has nothing to do with human intervention.

The German fencer was very dishonourable. This is a low class "victory".

An honourable person would concede the FACT that 1 second had passed before she landed the hit on the Korean fencer.
    Last edited by ricohflex; 1st August 2012 at 06:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post
    For unknown reason, the clock was set back to 1 second after it ran out to 0.
    The Clock was never reset.

The clock was reading always 1 sec, the referee, give the command to start, the TIMEKEEPER is then supposed to start the clock, however the fencers are so fast, they can strike before the clock starts, because when they strike the clock stops automatically. So the clock never gets a chance to start on the screen, because of the delay from the timekeeper.

The announcers even explained this, because when they looked at the computer readout, it actually showed the clock had started, but the german girl had actually struck within a a quarter of a second, which then stopped the clock still on 1 sec.

The countdown clock only run in minutes and seconds, where it should have showed also hundreds or thousands of seconds, 2 or 3 decimal points, then it might have been different.

Quote Originally Posted by Deyeno View Post
    The Clock was never reset.

... the german girl had actually struck within a a quarter of a second, which then stopped the clock still on 1 sec.

Impossible. I watched the event on TV. She definitely took more than 1 second.

The German fencer should return the silver medal. She does not deserve it.

Watch this. Have no idea why the German fencer is still keeping the medal. Got no sense of shame.

Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post
    Watch this. Have no idea why the German fencer is still keeping the medal. Got no sense of shame.

Stop complaining stop Grumbling
    Ask yourself who is the winner. It is Germany. The mighty german. The wealthy german. They Are pro-European. Asia ppl are never treated equally as those European. Go find out how many judges are European. Stop whining else some 'people' on CS will say we men are like women. Always nagging. Complaining grunmlbing. Blame herself don't blame the judges the clock the match

Here are some comments from various posters to a MailOnline article on this issue:

Quote:
    this is completely non-sense. In such a big competition like this, the time technician was 16 years old girl(I'm not sure how professional she is on checking time in such a big competition), and the German fencer and the Austrian referee Barbara Csar are friends on Facebook. meaning they are close together. I mean from the beginning, the committee could've put Csar and the German fencer separately for more accurate decision. This controversy had made already.
    - Jeanvier, Montreal, Quebec., 02/8/2012 20:30
    UnQuote.

Quote:
    While the officials are to be blamed for this fiasco, I believe the German girl should have declined the win on realising what happened. That would be true sportsmanship! She would have won the admiration of the world and this unfair result would have been avoided. Whatever happens now her medal is forever undeserved and tarnished.
    - Carol, Expat New York, 01/8/2012 21:19

Quote:
    @It happened from Wales, the FIE admitted their mistake. The timekeeper made a mistake which made the time stop and which gave Heidemann more than 1 sec for her attack. Also Heidemann committed to foul plays by not keeping the required distance, and attacking b4 the judge(who is austrian and is friends w/ the president of the german fencing federation on FB btw) said allez. Besides, if heidemann won fair and square, why would there be all this fuss about a special medal? Heidemann won by crime and even the german press acknowledged this. Do your research.
    - Linda, U.S.A, 01/8/2012 15:40
    UnQuote
    Last edited by ricohflex; 15th August 2012 at 01:08 AM.

Thread closed