Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's your setup for a wedding coverage?

do u guys bring backup digital bodies or film bodies? mmm... i only have 1 digital body... no cash for 2 yet. D70's are easy to borrow though
    Budget wedding photographer :)

i always bring a spare loaded(same ISO) film body with a lens attached and aperture set to my usual 5.6

Bring....1 DSLR 1 SLR

50mm
    19-35mm
    28-70mm

flash, cards wateva lo

cheers..

I don't want to attract attention at weddings so I work very lightly. Doesn't look very impressive but at the end of the day you'll capture the moods of the wedding much better.

body
    17-35
    60 micro
    sb800

Quote Originally Posted by ParkertR
    do u guys bring backup digital bodies or film bodies?
    I wouldn't take on a wedding with out a backup camera, to much of a risk of something going wrong. For me the backup would be in addition to the 2 cameras I would be already using on the day.

A D70, 18-70mm, SB800 should be enough, maybe a 50mm or 85mm prime for portaits.

Spare batteries and CF are recommended.

Recall this "pro fashion photographer" advice...that he never shoots until the CF is FULL, he shoots until it's 85-90% full, then he changes it.

He said something abt the chances of the data being corrupted if the CF is Full or something like that.

(Reminds me of my NS days, when my SGT said that they never load the M-16 magazines full with 30 rounds cos it jams more freq, usually its only 25rds)

Though I am not sure if that saying for CF cards have any backing.

Quote Originally Posted by ParkertR
    do u guys bring backup digital bodies or film bodies? mmm... i only have 1 digital body... no cash for 2 yet. D70's are easy to borrow though
    anyone is fine with you but make sure you bring enough films for your SLR and it should be the same make so you still can use your lenses.

Default Re: What's your setup for a wedding coverage?

My setup:

Nikon F601 with Nikon 20mm 2.8

plus

Nikon F601 with Nikon 85mm 2.8

and

Fuji Pro 400 H (formerly NPH400)

AF-S 17-55 f2.8
    AF-S 28-70 f2.8

need that extra zoom ? The easy and instant 2x high speed crop is yr answer . Why weight yrself down to so many heavy and big equipment ?

Quote Originally Posted by Winston
    A D70, 18-70mm, SB800 should be enough, maybe a 50mm or 85mm prime for portaits.

Spare batteries and CF are recommended.

Recall this "pro fashion photographer" advice...that he never shoots until the CF is FULL, he shoots until it's 85-90% full, then he changes it.

He said something abt the chances of the data being corrupted if the CF is Full or something like that.

(Reminds me of my NS days, when my SGT said that they never load the M-16 magazines full with 30 rounds cos it jams more freq, usually its only 25rds)

Though I am not sure if that saying for CF cards have any backing.
    I doubt that theory is valid but I don't use CF until full because you never know when you need to shoot 2-3 photos successively and you run out halfway and miss the "moment".

Quote Originally Posted by plato
    It's not true that the 70-200 isn't used for weddings. I use my 70-200 for closeups, esp inside churches when the couple are listening to the priest before saying their vows. It can be distracting for everyone if the photographer is in the couple's faces all the time, so a long lens in those situations can be useful, esp since there will be no one getting in your way while the ceremony is going on.
    Yep. I also prefer to use 80-200 inside church. It will be annoying as well when they see the video coverage and the photographer is all over the "screen". Less stress from the priest and more solemn for the couple and a more cooperative videographer-photographer "team". But otherwise, my 18-50 is good enough for all situations. Just bought an 85mm for closeups and portraits.

Your 18-70 theoretically is good enough for all situation and since this is your first DSLR try, should be a good start then later move to what lenses you think you will need. If you notice, no 2 sets are alike for different users because its more of a preference than a rule.

70-200 is good for taking natural potrait......using a normal or wide angel lens mean u have to get real close....the guests wont have the natural expression when they see a lens pointing at them......most ppl dont like to be photograph....

2 FUJI DSLR
    17-35
    18-70
    70-200
    2 flash
    quantum batt + cables
    AA batts
    CF cards
    LSII
    Lowepro Compact AW (yes they all fit, but JUST NICE)

jOhO, you still have the compact AW you bought after you sold me your 200AW??

Quote Originally Posted by code
    jOhO, you still have the compact AW you bought after you sold me your 200AW??
    oh.. it's u i sold it to ar? leadwe? i think u changed nick.. KAOZ... sorree man i totally forgot who. man, if u didn't remind me, i also forgot i own the 200 b4 ahahahha.. wasn't for a long time anyway.

yeah i still have that bag.. it's a happening bag, but i THINK i have to upgrade to slightly bigger soon. there's a bigger compact out there.. for videocams one..

u still using the 200?

I have changed so many bags already since then. Guess what, I have changed system as well - Canon to Fuji S2.

Compact AW is very big already leh. Next would be Magnum which someone is selling at B&S

for me, 1 body and 1 lenses and spare batteries & memory cards. some other standard accessories (plastic bag, cleaning).

no backup body as I go as a team with my friend.

2 dslr
    20-35 F2.8
    80-200 F2.8
    50 F1.8 (the cheapest lens u can get at this F stop)
    85 F1.8 ( F1.4 nicer but this one is so much lighter, not to mention cheaper)
    monopod ( one of those really light ones for times when the 80-200 gets too heavy)
    2 flashes
    cf cards and extra storage I think it's a 30gb pd70x, lots of spare AA batts

tried covering a friends wedding once with just a 20mm F2.8 and 50mm F1.8 quite interesting, I think you actually work harder and get more out of less equipment cause of the limitations.

forgot to add, bounce card and portable hard disk for backup

18-35 and 85

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast