Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's your setup for a wedding coverage?

Quote Originally Posted by ParkertR
    hmmm~ maybe i shoudl sae up for a 70-200 then~ u think a 200-400 is too much for a wedding? i cover indoor events with my 200-400 and my SB800... it works actually very well.. although f/5.6 the flash is more than adequet - and im standing about 30m away frm the stage. if not, i'll have to squeeze with my 50mm with all the other people at the stage taking photos :S
    Recommended range is from 24 to 70mm for event and wedding.

Recommended lens:
    Nikkor AF-S DX 17-55mm f/2.8G IF-ED
    Nikkor AF-S 17-35mm f/2.8D IF-ED
    Nikkor AF-S DX 18-70mm f3.5-4.5G IF-ED
    Nikkor AF 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF-ED
    Sigma 18-50mm f2.8 DC

and follow by a portrait lens like 50mm f1.8, 85mm f1.8
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

MEgaweb,
    thanks for the heads up on the recommended lenses mmm so i should effectively be able to cover the wedding with my kitlens and 50mm....
    Budget wedding photographer :)

Use a bit of common sense. The earlier part of this thread was just an avenue to list equipment people own; no disrespect intended to any of the people who did list their equipment.

If you're going to do a wedding you should be at least comfortable enough with your own kit. Use the kit that you're familiar with and take what you think in your judgement will help. In theory, *nothing* cannot add to a good wedding portfolio, but there also comes a time when you have too much equipment and end up screwing up because you're wasting too much time messing about and missing too much of everything around you. A fisheye can be great, but you have plenty of opportunity to create an extensive series of top notch pictures without one. A 400mm telephoto can be great, but you have plenty of opportunity to create an extensive series of top notch pictures without one. An 85/1.4 can be great... the list goes on.

HI Jed,
    i know it sounds like I OT'd... but i asked to get a glimpse of what others were using for covering weddings. I'd recently sold my 70-300 and it left be with a mid-range gap. I felt a little 'lost' without the 70-300 (sold it cuz i needed the cash) and felt that maybe i should post to see what others were using for wedding coverage - to see if others used lenses that ranged between 70-300 (though a handicap to me i wanted to see if others could do w/o it). hope i haven't angered anyone in the thread... i'll close it.

Spend some time knowing what your equipment can do. Don't get new equipment on the eve of important assignment

Happy shooting.

You can even shoot with 1 prime as someone here had tried before. Have fun shooting!

Quote Originally Posted by Snowcrash
    Spend some time knowing what your equipment can do. Don't get new equipment on the eve of important assignment
    will do thnx pal! thanks to everyone else for their tips/hints and also show of equipment for use on a wedding shoot! cheers

Er, no, in no way at all did I think you went OT. So don't worry.

re-opened the thread! post what your favourite rig is for a wedding shoot! if you've got reasons that you're willing to tell, please do!! cheers

some background of this post here... i've never covered a wedding with a DSLR before... i covered wedding events as a backup photographer with a fujifilm S5000 and a Panasonic FZ20. May's gonna be the first time I cover a wedding with my DSLR (its still a new tool for me) and i'm in a fix of what lens i should use for this wedding. I'd like to see what others use so I can have an idea of what tools others use for this trade. I recently also sold my 70-300mm away so i've got a gap in my medium zoom range from 70-200mm... wondering if it's something thats really lacking for wedding photography. I've gotten some good answers and tips from a few pro's now and hoping to hear from more!

so do post!! Thread REOPENED

Use the kit lens (assuming you bought the kit lens) that comes with your D70. Its sufficient for the purpose intended. The 18-70mm is a very good range for weddings.

10d+grip+17-40f4
    eos30+grip+50f1.4
    550ex+batterypack+omnibounce/bounce card
    2gb CF+10rolls iso400/800.
    extra batts
    blower+lens paper
    web | blog | fb | ig

Serious, i've never seen any photographers using a 70-200 lens at weddings before. The 18-70 is more than enough for weddings (Day & dinner). Just slap it on your cam, and use it for the whole day. No need to change lens.

Of course, a better alternative here will be the AFS 17-55/2.8
    Yngwie J. Malmsteen - "...I've never considered myself a fast guitar player..."

I recently attended a wedding in Malaysia, the photographer used a manual yashica SLR (preety old) , a standard zoom and a manual flash. No spare body, digital, lenses etc. He was concentrating on taking pictures and not the equipments.

Just use your current DSLR + kit lens. Make sure you've enought battery & storage. All the best. Sorry if you think this is a OT

nah not OT Caussway great to hear all the comments and advice im overwhelmed! hehehe~ might be shooting at an indian wedding next month here in thailand... apparently got word of mouth promotion!! wheeee *yay* will post pix if i manage to snag the job!

It's not true that the 70-200 isn't used for weddings. I use my 70-200 for closeups, esp inside churches when the couple are listening to the priest before saying their vows. It can be distracting for everyone if the photographer is in the couple's faces all the time, so a long lens in those situations can be useful, esp since there will be no one getting in your way while the ceremony is going on.

Quote Originally Posted by plato
    It's not true that the 70-200 isn't used for weddings. I use my 70-200 for closeups, esp inside churches when the couple are listening to the priest before saying their vows. It can be distracting for everyone if the photographer is in the couple's faces all the time, so a long lens in those situations can be useful, esp since there will be no one getting in your way while the ceremony is going on.
    The 70-200 is probably used for that only moment, but for the main part of the job (bride/groom's homes, hotels,dinner..etc), a shorter range zoom will be more than enough.
    Yngwie J. Malmsteen - "...I've never considered myself a fast guitar player..."

From my experience, 99% of the time, I only use a 28~80mm range, and have yet to use anything beyond 100mm. My setup is very simple, with a body, a 28-75, and a flash, probably a monopod, and nothing else. No need a FBO.

for event coverage, i suggest all the freelancers out there to get another set of body and flash. if your camera dies on you, there is no excusses that you cannot perform your job.

So far, I've yet to encounter any local wedding-day photographer shooting with medium format. Wonder why? It seems the norm in weddings of other cultures/countries that I've attended. Or have all wedding couples insisted on 35mm digital format?

Quote Originally Posted by rain_danz
    So far, I've yet to encounter any local wedding-day photographer shooting with medium format. Wonder why? It seems the norm in weddings of other cultures/countries that I've attended. Or have all wedding couples insisted on 35mm digital format?
    too used to 35mm and cheaper to do 4Rs here than 6x6 or 645. Typical Singaporean couples are quite non-receptive to anything beyond the norm

My set up-

1 body (sometimes 2 if necessary), 16-35 W.A, 50mm and the occasional 85mm if I'm shooting B&W. Flash for table shots and CFs are standard equipment.

That's it

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast