Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: How to calibrate LCD monitor?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Not in the loo
    Posts
    8

    Default How to calibrate LCD monitor?

    Hi guys,
    Need to know how to calibrate LCD monitor. Any cheap options that won't cost an arm and a leg???
    Heard about this spyder calibration software. any idea how much it costs and how to get it??

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6,405

    Default

    1. Use a monitor calibrator, e.g. EyeOne, Spyder, etc. Dunno the exact cost.

    2. Use visual calibration with software like Adobe Gamma, Praxisoft WiziWYG and do it by eye.

    Regards
    CK

  3. #3

    Default

    You can get the ColorVision ColorPlus. Simple to use, a small brother of the Spyder but can only be used on Win OS. CP was selling it at $219 beginning of the month
    Jerfotography Nikon D300
    Power by iMac MBP iPhone 6+ iPad Air

  4. #4

    Default

    Anyway LCD won't be as good as a good CRT

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6,405

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by generik
    Anyway LCD won't be as good as a good CRT
    That's one of the biggest myths around. It is true in the old days but no longer. It's somewhat akin to saying "Digital is not as good as film". You get my drift.

    Regards
    CK

  6. #6
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Planet Nikon
    Posts
    21,905

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ckiang
    That's one of the biggest myths around. It is true in the old days but no longer. It's somewhat akin to saying "Digital is not as good as film". You get my drift.
    I'll 2nd this

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Earth, Solar System, Milky Way
    Posts
    154

    Default

    "Good" is too general a word.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    The heart of the Abyss
    Posts
    2,307

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nikonian Foo
    "Good" is too general a word.
    Agreed. Seen this LCD Monitor? Adobe RGB color display!

    ESPN, please chime in

  9. #9
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Planet Nikon
    Posts
    21,905

    Default

    Apple Cinema Display 30" !!!!!!!!

    Apple!! Apple!!! Apple!!!!

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Cons digger.
    Posts
    3,924

    Default

    I still have reservations of TFTs vs phosphors.. after all, LCDs run a higher probablity of getting bright/dead/alive/colour dots after some time becos of the sheer number of transistors. Probability of getting one is quite high after 2 years , depending on conditions. Phosphors.. no such problems heheh...even after 3 years. Until the prices of GOOD LCDs match that of a 'normal' CRT, my dollar will be with the big white box.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6,405

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay
    I still have reservations of TFTs vs phosphors.. after all, LCDs run a higher probablity of getting bright/dead/alive/colour dots after some time becos of the sheer number of transistors. Probability of getting one is quite high after 2 years , depending on conditions. Phosphors.. no such problems heheh...even after 3 years. Until the prices of GOOD LCDs match that of a 'normal' CRT, my dollar will be with the big white box.
    Well, CRTs are only good for about 3 years, after which the phosphors fade, and then you can relegate it "for video games"

    LCDs have really come a long, long way. They have now matched, if not surpassed CRTs. Of coz, you can't complain if you are comparing a budget LCD with a top-notch CRT lah.

    And how many of us really need flawless colour matching?

    Regards
    CK

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by espn
    Apple Cinema Display 30" !!!!!!!!

    Apple!! Apple!!! Apple!!!!
    Apple lose to Eizo

    If you get a unit that produces inconsistent color.. apple does not consider it a defect. For the "wow" factor go for it, otherwise get Eizo

  13. #13

    Default

    I have one spyder pro to let go ... at 400 got it one year back..

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    3,287

    Default

    There are many myths and misconceptions about CRT being better than LCD. That is true in the old days but as CK mentioned it is no longer true. I have been using LCD for many years now none of my LCD has a dead pixel or faded colors. My current one is 3 years old and still going strong. No radiation and less stressfull to my eyes (note:MY eyes). Even a Samsung or LG LCD will give you brilliant colors today.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Bedok
    Posts
    716

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by generik
    Apple lose to Eizo

    If you get a unit that produces inconsistent color.. apple does not consider it a defect. For the "wow" factor go for it, otherwise get Eizo

    Yup, yup.. Eizo's good.. But you pay a premium for the well-made ones.. There are cheap models from them but those are MiC.. The more expensive models are MiJ. My L350 is MiJ.. Past 3 years and still going strong.. No dead/ stuck pixels.. =)

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,644

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Firefox
    Yup, yup.. Eizo's good.. But you pay a premium for the well-made ones.. There are cheap models from them but those are MiC.. The more expensive models are MiJ. My L350 is MiJ.. Past 3 years and still going strong.. No dead/ stuck pixels.. =)
    Any Eizo vender locally?

  17. #17

    Default

    Should be a few places to get Eizo - Sim Lim Square for one. They have a service centre in Singapore so that should mean that there's a good presence here.

  18. #18

    Default

    Well, I migrated from 2 CRT to 1 CRT+1LCD to 2 LCD.

    I was still using the StudioWorks 20i last year. After about 2 years of usage, the screen becomes inconsistent. Earlier in the day, the brightness is dimmer and but the colour is good. Near evening, it becomes too bright and colour is not as vibrant.

    Everyday, I need to calibrate my monitor twice! So hack, got two icc profile namely morning and evening heh heh heh

    Then bought a BenQ FP783 and sits beside my StudioWorks. The LCD is inferior in terms of contrast and saturation for sure as the FP783 is not really high end nor for graphical work.

    Next bought a Sharp 19" 700:1 screen. Good saturation and contrast. It is as good as the StudioWorks as far as my eyes can tell. And the price is cheaper than what I paid for initially for my StudioWorks CRT

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    East, SG
    Posts
    2,641

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Caras
    Should be a few places to get Eizo - Sim Lim Square for one. They have a service centre in Singapore so that should mean that there's a good presence here.
    What's the cost like for the Eizo CG220?

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Bedok
    Posts
    716

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tomshen
    Any Eizo vender locally?
    There used to be a shop in SLS that sold Eizo displays.. It has since closed down.

    The local distributor is PowerMatic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •