Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to calibrate LCD monitor?

Default How to calibrate LCD monitor?

Hi guys,
    Need to know how to calibrate LCD monitor. Any cheap options that won't cost an arm and a leg???
    Heard about this spyder calibration software. any idea how much it costs and how to get it??

1. Use a monitor calibrator, e.g. EyeOne, Spyder, etc. Dunno the exact cost.

2. Use visual calibration with software like Adobe Gamma, Praxisoft WiziWYG and do it by eye.

Regards
    CK

You can get the ColorVision ColorPlus. Simple to use, a small brother of the Spyder but can only be used on Win OS. CP was selling it at $219 beginning of the month
    Jerfotography Nikon D300
    Power by iMac MBP iPhone 6+ iPad Air

Anyway LCD won't be as good as a good CRT

Quote Originally Posted by generik
    Anyway LCD won't be as good as a good CRT
    That's one of the biggest myths around. It is true in the old days but no longer. It's somewhat akin to saying "Digital is not as good as film". You get my drift.

Regards
    CK

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by ckiang
    That's one of the biggest myths around. It is true in the old days but no longer. It's somewhat akin to saying "Digital is not as good as film". You get my drift.
    I'll 2nd this

"Good" is too general a word.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikonian Foo
    "Good" is too general a word.
    Agreed. Seen this LCD Monitor? Adobe RGB color display!

ESPN, please chime in

Deregistered

Apple Cinema Display 30" !!!!!!!!

Apple!! Apple!!! Apple!!!!

I still have reservations of TFTs vs phosphors.. after all, LCDs run a higher probablity of getting bright/dead/alive/colour dots after some time becos of the sheer number of transistors. Probability of getting one is quite high after 2 years , depending on conditions. Phosphors.. no such problems heheh...even after 3 years. Until the prices of GOOD LCDs match that of a 'normal' CRT, my dollar will be with the big white box.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay
    I still have reservations of TFTs vs phosphors.. after all, LCDs run a higher probablity of getting bright/dead/alive/colour dots after some time becos of the sheer number of transistors. Probability of getting one is quite high after 2 years , depending on conditions. Phosphors.. no such problems heheh...even after 3 years. Until the prices of GOOD LCDs match that of a 'normal' CRT, my dollar will be with the big white box.
    Well, CRTs are only good for about 3 years, after which the phosphors fade, and then you can relegate it "for video games"

LCDs have really come a long, long way. They have now matched, if not surpassed CRTs. Of coz, you can't complain if you are comparing a budget LCD with a top-notch CRT lah.

And how many of us really need flawless colour matching?

Regards
    CK

Quote Originally Posted by espn
    Apple Cinema Display 30" !!!!!!!!

Apple!! Apple!!! Apple!!!!
    Apple lose to Eizo

If you get a unit that produces inconsistent color.. apple does not consider it a defect. For the "wow" factor go for it, otherwise get Eizo

I have one spyder pro to let go ... at 400 got it one year back..

There are many myths and misconceptions about CRT being better than LCD. That is true in the old days but as CK mentioned it is no longer true. I have been using LCD for many years now none of my LCD has a dead pixel or faded colors. My current one is 3 years old and still going strong. No radiation and less stressfull to my eyes (note:MY eyes). Even a Samsung or LG LCD will give you brilliant colors today.

Quote Originally Posted by generik
    Apple lose to Eizo

If you get a unit that produces inconsistent color.. apple does not consider it a defect. For the "wow" factor go for it, otherwise get Eizo

Yup, yup.. Eizo's good.. But you pay a premium for the well-made ones.. There are cheap models from them but those are MiC.. The more expensive models are MiJ. My L350 is MiJ.. Past 3 years and still going strong.. No dead/ stuck pixels.. =)

Quote Originally Posted by Firefox
    Yup, yup.. Eizo's good.. But you pay a premium for the well-made ones.. There are cheap models from them but those are MiC.. The more expensive models are MiJ. My L350 is MiJ.. Past 3 years and still going strong.. No dead/ stuck pixels.. =)
    Any Eizo vender locally?

Should be a few places to get Eizo - Sim Lim Square for one. They have a service centre in Singapore so that should mean that there's a good presence here.

Well, I migrated from 2 CRT to 1 CRT+1LCD to 2 LCD.

I was still using the StudioWorks 20i last year. After about 2 years of usage, the screen becomes inconsistent. Earlier in the day, the brightness is dimmer and but the colour is good. Near evening, it becomes too bright and colour is not as vibrant.

Everyday, I need to calibrate my monitor twice! So hack, got two icc profile namely morning and evening heh heh heh

Then bought a BenQ FP783 and sits beside my StudioWorks. The LCD is inferior in terms of contrast and saturation for sure as the FP783 is not really high end nor for graphical work.

Next bought a Sharp 19" 700:1 screen. Good saturation and contrast. It is as good as the StudioWorks as far as my eyes can tell. And the price is cheaper than what I paid for initially for my StudioWorks CRT

Quote Originally Posted by Caras
    Should be a few places to get Eizo - Sim Lim Square for one. They have a service centre in Singapore so that should mean that there's a good presence here.
    What's the cost like for the Eizo CG220?

Quote Originally Posted by tomshen
    Any Eizo vender locally?
    There used to be a shop in SLS that sold Eizo displays.. It has since closed down.

The local distributor is PowerMatic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast