Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: What do you clean and protect your leather boots?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    GEYLAND LOR 15 LO
    Posts
    1,159

    Talking What do you clean and protect your leather boots?

    Can share some of your tips?? Thanks!

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Off the shoulder of Orion, near the Tannhauser gate
    Posts
    204

  3. #3
    ClubSNAP Idol Adam Goi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    5,682

    Default

    KIWI!

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    lulu island
    Posts
    6,131

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Goi
    KIWI!
    yup, kiwi... i use my finger to kiwi rather than using cotton cloth.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    24

    Default

    I use Red Wings boot oil to protect my Red Wing leather boots. It moisturises the leather, making it soft and more durable coz leather tends to get hard & brittle after much sun and rain.

    I agreed with Drudkh on that it is better to use your fingers to applied the mink oil or boot oil or other leather protection chemicals on the leather. I was taught by the Red Wings guys to massage the oil into the leather, & I have been doing it ever since, once every half year. So far, the effect is good as I have been wearing my leather boots for 6 years already, and it is still in good condition, very seasoned and very very comfortable.

  6. #6

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    GEYLAND LOR 15 LO
    Posts
    1,159

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by malamute72
    I use Red Wings boot oil to protect my Red Wing leather boots. It moisturises the leather, making it soft and more durable coz leather tends to get hard & brittle after much sun and rain.

    I agreed with Drudkh on that it is better to use your fingers to applied the mink oil or boot oil or other leather protection chemicals on the leather. I was taught by the Red Wings guys to massage the oil into the leather, & I have been doing it ever since, once every half year. So far, the effect is good as I have been wearing my leather boots for 6 years already, and it is still in good condition, very seasoned and very very comfortable.
    Wow! You really know how to take care of things! Your Red Wing Boots can last for 6 years! My Timberland one failed me just 2 years of use!
    I am wearing Red Wings shoe too for around a year plus liao...very comfortable boots that I ever wear b4!!!
    Thanks for the tips, malamute72!
    But however, I heard that the use of Kiwi will only dry up and makes your leather boots crack, is that true?
    Last edited by XXX Boy; 27th January 2005 at 09:02 AM.

  8. #8

    Default

    yo yo yo chinese new year coming, need my help to cut and comb hair ha ha.

    juz joking, happy new year

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    GEYLAND LOR 15 LO
    Posts
    1,159

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by copperbird
    yo yo yo chinese new year coming, need my help to cut and comb hair ha ha.

    juz joking, happy new year
    You are very OT le! Here talk about shoes and now you talking about combing hair!!!
    Haha..anyway, Happy New Year to you too!!!

  10. #10

    Default

    yup yup .... kiwi from army ...

    I wear army boots ...
    AMPA * WPPI * J team

  11. #11

    Default

    i saw tv said we can use banana skin the innerside or wipe cream dunno does it work anot... try youself then u know

    i use kiwi coz SAF tot me to use that...
    Favouritism | Design + Lifestyle + Art

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Western SG
    Posts
    1,537

    Default

    Last night channel 8 sho'sw recommend a shop that do leather cleaning at siglap centre. (Koreans couple I think)

    anyone checking it out?

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    24

    Default

    Hi XXX Boy,

    It's good to know that you are wearing a pair of Red Wings & appreciating them. They are indeed the most comfortable leather shoes that I have worn. Not to mention that they are quite lasting too. So far, I have only re-sole my Red Wings once coz the leather out last the soles after frequent/continuous usage.

    I have never try using Kiwi on my Red Wings. I am not sure if it will dry and crack the leather, but I am afraid that it will block up the leather pores and prevents the leather from 'breathing' and thus, causing a foul smell to come from the leather after wearing the shoes.

    The best is that you can go down to the Red Wings Shop @ Far East Plaza and get the boot oil or mink cream from there. I think they also sell other brands of leather protection chemicals. The sales manager there is very helpful and he will teach you how to apply the oil/cream to protect your Red Wings. Look for Eddie or Ben.

    Trust me, it is really worth to take the time/effort to protect your Red Wings boots. & the oil doesn't cost a lot of money, probably a few dollars. & your leather boots will go a long way, man!

    Cheers.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    GEYLAND LOR 15 LO
    Posts
    1,159

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by malamute72
    Hi XXX Boy,

    It's good to know that you are wearing a pair of Red Wings & appreciating them. They are indeed the most comfortable leather shoes that I have worn. Not to mention that they are quite lasting too. So far, I have only re-sole my Red Wings once coz the leather out last the soles after frequent/continuous usage.

    I have never try using Kiwi on my Red Wings. I am not sure if it will dry and crack the leather, but I am afraid that it will block up the leather pores and prevents the leather from 'breathing' and thus, causing a foul smell to come from the leather after wearing the shoes.

    The best is that you can go down to the Red Wings Shop @ Far East Plaza and get the boot oil or mink cream from there. I think they also sell other brands of leather protection chemicals. The sales manager there is very helpful and he will teach you how to apply the oil/cream to protect your Red Wings. Look for Eddie or Ben.

    Trust me, it is really worth to take the time/effort to protect your Red Wings boots. & the oil doesn't cost a lot of money, probably a few dollars. & your leather boots will go a long way, man!

    Cheers.

    Thanks for the info! And anyway, how much do you pay for the re-sole?

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,688

    Default

    Oil of Ulay??? Seems to work well on my skin!................

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    24

    Default

    I paid S$80 to re-sole my shoe with Vibram soles. It is more lasting then the normal white sole from Red Wings. You can do you re-soling at Red Wings, & they have got 3 choices of soles to choose from.

    You have been wearing your Red Wings for 1 plus years, right? It is still too early to re-sole your shoes. I re-sole my boot only after 4 years. Those Red Wings are quite lasting, you know.

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    GEYLAND LOR 15 LO
    Posts
    1,159

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by malamute72
    I paid S$80 to re-sole my shoe with Vibram soles. It is more lasting then the normal white sole from Red Wings. You can do you re-soling at Red Wings, & they have got 3 choices of soles to choose from.

    You have been wearing your Red Wings for 1 plus years, right? It is still too early to re-sole your shoes. I re-sole my boot only after 4 years. Those Red Wings are quite lasting, you know.
    Thanks for the advice!
    Vibram soles is what color ah? Why do you say that it is more lasting than the white sole? And how about the other soles?
    The more I wear my Red Wings, the more I love it. It become soft and very comfortable to wear now!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •