Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What camera to buy?

Quote Originally Posted by Winston
    As a beginner, I wont get a 2nd hand DSLR.
    Since w/o knowing how to inspect and check for flaws, CCD dirt..etc
    I might get one that has problems or has a very high shutter count..etc
    (unless you know someone who go along with u to check out the camera)

Lenses, Flashes and tripod are not "necessity"
    They are accessories.
    You can buy them later.
    Necessity are Battery and Digital Film, CF. w/o you cant even take a shot.

The Amt of $$ u save from a 2nd hand DSLR, cant compensate the 12mths of warranty and Free CCD cleaning, a brand new Shutter and a sound peace of mind.

In fact I would rather risk buying 2nd hand flashes and tripods and camera bags, since they are less likely to fail and cheaper.
    I am the kind of guy who just love to take high risk stuff

me? ... hmmz .. if i had 2k ... i'd get a e300 .. OR a second hand e300 (which still has a few months of warranty) .. .spend the extra 700+ on the sigma 55-200mm? .. and maybe fl-36 flash ... the rest of the stuff can come later ... the flash could hold out till later too if necessary ..

why e-300?

1) no dust problem
    2) with a smaller sensor, centre is uber-sharp =P and 2x multiplication factor ... so 55-200 becomes 110-400
    3) its light, so no need tripod yet
    4) sigma 55-200 also light =P so no need tripod .. not so much hand-shake ..
    5) its not extremely expensive .. (if u have 2k budget)

or if u really wanna cut costs .. get an old e10 or e20 ... (fixed lens) and a flash to go with it ... 1.4x tcon if u really need the zoom .. but if u want interchangable lenses ... hmmz and budget too ..

an old canon d30 or d60 should be fine ...

Seriously saying, you should just get a SLR EOS 30/33 with a 28-105/3.5-4.5 zoom lense $600-700 just to try out what you intend to learn. Slides are cheap at $12++ per roll (inclusive of developing). A light box + lupe costs about $60-80. End of the day if you do not like photography you probably can sell off the items without making too much a loss. Of course other systems like the Nikon are also feasible, just that I like to use Canon as I am more familiar with it.

With $2k, I would be about to take many courses, buy a tripod, dry cabinet, external flash and do many different kind of photography and know what I really like to do. Then you can decide on how to build your arsernal of lense, flash, DSLR etc etc.

See this thread

Maybe you will be interested...

Quote Originally Posted by theITguy
    Seriously saying, you should just get a SLR EOS 30/33 with a 28-105/3.5-4.5 zoom lense $600-700 just to try out what you intend to learn. Slides are cheap at $12++ per roll (inclusive of developing). A light box + lupe costs about $60-80. End of the day if you do not like photography you probably can sell off the items without making too much a loss. Of course other systems like the Nikon are also feasible, just that I like to use Canon as I am more familiar with it.

With $2k, I would be about to take many courses, buy a tripod, dry cabinet, external flash and do many different kind of photography and know what I really like to do. Then you can decide on how to build your arsernal of lense, flash, DSLR etc etc.
    Here here...
    I think Firstly.. go check with the class requirements, i do know that ALL the photo and art institutes here INSIST on manual or semi manual FILM cameras, preferably those like the OM1, or Nikon FG, FM2 or perhaps the N80, eos 33, 50e, with manual functions; if u want to take lessons. Lense wise, normally a 50 1.8 or so would be good to learn perspective.

Yes... i do agree it is TERRIBLY tempting to get carried away with digital photography and such, but sadly .. i have to disagree with digital photography as a medium of instruction for photography...

Yes.. you get instant results.. and hence the learning curve is there..

but NO.. you don't seem to learn the true meaning of what photography is about, colour composition/compensation, and most of all, the good ol fashioned way of taking notes for every single frame u shoot..

Zoom lenses are the easiest way in my opinion, to become lazy as a starting photographer... 1 50mm forces u to move around... compose the picture
    and to eventually get the angle and perspective u desire..

Start slow and simple... don't get caught up with the general public of what dslr and 2.8 80 - 10000mm lense to get etc etc... you'll slowly find yourself falling into the common pithole of most ppl who simply spend $ on equipment that not only looses its value after u buy it,(DSLRs & their megapixel count, digital features, etc) but loose money on equipment they simply do not need and want after a while.

Use the money on a camera that'll last u for the next 10 yrs or so, i personally reccoment the canon ae-1 or fm2... and perhaps a cheap manual focus / auto focus 50 1.8 or perhaps even a normal zoom lense. A set up like this will simply cost u around 800 sing or even less now seeing how ppl are dumping their film cameras like there's no tmrw. Use the remainder to really learn abt photography.. slide equipment, etc etc... to realize what you truely like about photography.. etc..

as what the above quote said. 2k is a LOT of money for cameras... digital is something that will of course cost a lot. But you should really ask youself the question: Do you want to LEARN photography, or PAY for photography.

I personally have 2 sons one of whom's studying Political science/journalism within the usa... and no matter how high tech the faculty is with its photo gear, they INSIST that their freshman/sophomores (1st & 2nd yr) students learn and shoot with manual cameras & slides...

anyway.... i'm sure the ppl here at clubsnap would be glad to help u with your lessons... do drop us a note, or feel free to drop me a message if u do need further help with your equpiment or work..

good luck and happy snapping.

Cheers.

Canon's having a promotion now from the 1st of Jan to the 28th of Feb. Can save you quite a bit with the freebies.

http://www.canon.com.sg/index.cfm?fuseaction=dcam_promo

EOS 300D Kit - Free 1GB Lexar Card (80x V2.0, I got one myself during the other promo), free photographers vest, free extra battery (high capacity) and an option to buy a battery grip at a reduced price.

If you want to go with Nikon its also good, I like both brands .

You might want to get e-quotes from several shops like
    1) mscolor.com.sg
    2) alanphoto.com.sg
    3) cathayphoto.com.sg

And when buying lenses for whatever SLR system you get, buy those that you know you'll use, otherwise they'll just end up sitting in your dry cabinet/box. If you're getting a Canon, theres a sticky for new Canon SLR/dSLR users that has a list of quite a number of recommended lenses.
    Last edited by n0d3; 26th January 2005 at 01:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ck71
    2k is my max, of course the cheaper the better, that's y wanna get 2nd hand. I figure once I "master" the skill, I would want sumthing more sophisticated, so I don't want to spend too much on my 1st camera
    If its photography you want to master, then I rather you work off with a FM2 first and learn the basics of composition and developing the "feel". With digital cameras, it can be too easy to just shoot first and talk later. In the end, you find yourself just shooting blindly. And if you really master photography one day, you'd be suprised that you might yourself going back to manual cameras. Start off with b/w. There you will be able to understand and see how lighting and exposure works hand in hand. I guess you'll be covering all these in the SAFRA course.

-MB

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12