Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What camera to buy?

Default What camera to buy?

Hi all, I am new here, recently became interested in photography, want to know what camera should a beginner like me buy? since I barely know anything about photography (going to a basic SLR course this thur on SAFRA), I think I should just get a 2nd hand one, right? would appreciate any advices.

since u r going for the slr course...i pressume u r thinking of either slr or Dslr?
    Get a 2nd hand is a good idea...but get someone familiar to checkout the camera for u....

If u are going for SLR course, then yr choice is either a film SLR or a digital SLR.
    For digital SLR, the most popular models are currently Nikon D70 and Canon 20D.
    For film SLR, some popular models are Nikon F80 and Canon EOS300V.

Maybe u will ask where to buy, most popular shops are Cathay Photo, Alan Photo and John 3:16, all near Funan area.

not forgetting Canon 300D if u have limited $.....

Quote Originally Posted by Astin
    If u are going for SLR course, then yr choice is either a film SLR or a digital SLR.
    For digital SLR, the most popular models are currently Nikon D70 and Canon 20D.
    For film SLR, some popular models are Nikon F80 and Canon EOS300V.

Maybe u will ask where to buy, most popular shops are Cathay Photo, Alan Photo and John 3:16, all near Funan area.

Budget?

Deregistered

I think the most important factor is how serious R U? I suggest U borrow a camera just for the course then decide after you are done? A camera is not a cheap investment and therefore U do NOT want to regret it after buying one and find that it will not suit your purpose.

Do of these shops sell 2nd ones. My budget is anything below 2k

Quote Originally Posted by tommon
    I think the most important factor is how serious R U? I suggest U borrow a camera just for the course then decide after you are done? A camera is not a cheap investment and therefore U do NOT want to regret it after buying one and find that it will not suit your purpose.
    thanks for the advice, I am pretty serious about it

With 2k u can buy new ones already, no need to worry abt 2nd hand ones.

You should be able to find one 2nd hand 300D with kit lens here...

I must warn you... once you get the camera, you will not just stop here...

There will be lens to buy, flashes to purchase, so on and so fro...

Ya... I oso agree...

either a new Canon 300D or Nikon D70...

2k is my max, of course the cheaper the better, that's y wanna get 2nd hand. I figure once I "master" the skill, I would want sumthing more sophisticated, so I don't want to spend too much on my 1st camera

Deregistered

Try getting a Fuji S1 pro or S2Pro. most comes with a standard zoom. but even those DZLR are very good. I have a student who uses an old Olympus E10

thks for all the info, will go check out all the abovementioned brands & models.

be warned that 2k is just enuf to get u started, the investment later will pile up...besides the camera + kit lens, you would need to get memory cards, xtra batt, tripod + head, camera bags, more lenses etc etc etc.....

Quote Originally Posted by ck71
    2k is my max, of course the cheaper the better, that's y wanna get 2nd hand. I figure once I "master" the skill, I would want sumthing more sophisticated, so I don't want to spend too much on my 1st camera

If you are really interested.....go ahead to buy Digital SLR for example Nikon D70....Photography is an expensive hobby,but it worth!!!! Or u can just borrow a camera from friend,familiar with the basic operation function and shoot some photos and then decide which camera to buy.....Pratical shooting is very important!!Shoot more,gain more....On the other hand,basic theory is the fundamental thing to have also.You will realize and gain more understanding by shooting the real photo!!Good Luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by ck71
    Hi all, I am new here, recently became interested in photography, want to know what camera should a beginner like me buy? since I barely know anything about photography (going to a basic SLR course this thur on SAFRA), I think I should just get a 2nd hand one, right? would appreciate any advices.
    Since your budget is 2k

1) Get D70 + kit lens (18-70)
    2) get a fast CF (at least 1Gb)

Thats enough for now

Dont get too much stuff at the start until u know what u like to shoot.
    If you like landscapes a lot, you wont need the external flash that early, instead u need a tripod.
    Slowly build up ur equipments. instead of getting all in the 1st month.

if 2k is my budget and I am a beginner, i would rather get a 2nd hand camera, spend the rest of the money on some necesscities like maybe lens, flash, and a tripod.

Quote Originally Posted by Xpose
    if 2k is my budget and I am a beginner, i would rather get a 2nd hand camera, spend the rest of the money on some necesscities like maybe lens, flash, and a tripod.
    As a beginner, I wont get a 2nd hand DSLR.
    Since w/o knowing how to inspect and check for flaws, CCD dirt..etc
    I might get one that has problems or has a very high shutter count..etc
    (unless you know someone who go along with u to check out the camera)

Lenses, Flashes and tripod are not "necessity"
    They are accessories.
    You can buy them later.
    Necessity are Battery and Digital Film, CF. w/o you cant even take a shot.

The Amt of $$ u save from a 2nd hand DSLR, cant compensate the 12mths of warranty and Free CCD cleaning, a brand new Shutter and a sound peace of mind.

In fact I would rather risk buying 2nd hand flashes and tripods and camera bags, since they are less likely to fail and cheaper.

Talking

Why not get one of this :-

Its optics will beat the hell out of many SLR lenses!!!

Quote Originally Posted by XXX Boy
    Why not get one of this :-

Its optics will beat the hell out of many SLR lenses!!!
    'Coz lens optics ain't the only thing that matters in photography

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast