Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how to deal with situations dslr refuse to take a picture?

You are right that just turn to full auto mode, and let the camera take over.
    Flash will pop up automatically, it will pre flash to auto focus, then you get the shoot!

I don't think your friends will wait for you to manual focus ... If really too dark, cannot see clearly also.

Just make sure it is not because you are too close to your friends. Just step back a bit.
    I.e within Minimum focus distant of your lens.
    | 5Diii | 24 ii | 40 | 24-70 ii | 24-105 | 70-200 F4 IS | 270 ii | 600EX-RT |

Default Re: how to deal with situations dslr refuse to take a picture?

Quote Originally Posted by chicken chop View Post
    I am using D3100 too, have been in the same shoe before. What I did to improve my skill is
    1. Practice in similar lighting to have an idea on how to set the camera setting.
    2. Before taking important photos, I often take test shots and adjust the setting till I am satisfied before gathering the group
    3. If I can't get the setting right I will just use auto mode
    4. Lastly I have up my lens to a fast prime.

Yes, lots of the people complain about it, and I have turn it off. You can't take candid shots with this AF lights on.
    yep i'm a fan of candid shots, with the AF lights, it's less discreet. I have the light off all the time, except when shooting in low-light.

i'm still using my stock 18-55mm lens.

Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    Should use manual focus, and do "focus bracketing" to make sure, i.e. take a series of photos shifting the focus just a little just to ensure that you have one in focus.
    nice tip! better to blind the subjects eyes with a few flashes than to get no photo haha

Quote Originally Posted by milez View Post
    In a group photo situation where your camera cant really focus, in order to get an insurance shot, adjust to small aperture eg.g f8 , so that you have wide depth of field, try to focus on the closest object to the group... If AF still hunts, switch to manual focus, and roughly focus with you eye. Once target is about clear snap it. Because if you wide depth of field, your subject is in thereabout focus range, your shot should be clear and in focus.

In low light situation, increase iso till your shutter speed is at least 1/60 so that there is no motion blur. If you have a flash (no matter how small) use it. ... With M mode and adjust f 5.6 or 8 with 1/60. iso 1600 or there about.
    good tips with the recommended settings!

yep have to have smaller aperture, esp for group photos with multiple rows.
    large aperture maybe only first, second row are in focus.

Quote Originally Posted by radiancez567 View Post

good tips with the recommended settings!

yep have to have smaller aperture, esp for group photos with multiple rows.
    large aperture maybe only first, second row are in focus.
    Large group with multiple rows, if you use small aperture (e.g. F/8), then you'll need A LOT of light if you don't want a long exposure
    Exploring! :)

Quote Originally Posted by sinned79 View Post
    u dun have to wait till next time.
    just practise now. find a lowlight similar situation and practise.
    Conveniently, every day after sunset there are plenty of low light situations. FOC. With a help from light switch even in your room. No need to walk out.
    EOS

turn on the AF light assist or manual focus...

Quote Originally Posted by chicken chop View Post
    3. If I can't get the setting right I will just use auto mode
    4. Lastly I have up my lens to a fast prime.
    Auto mode, aperture priority, shutter speed priority, full manual mode (excl manual focus) was all the same in the situation as shown. No shots can be taken because your camera is hunting in lowlight for AF to lock on. There is one way which might help - use the more powerful focus assist lamp on your external flash, it will help, but might irritate your subjects...

As to using a fast prime in such situation as taking photos of a group... is useless. You need to close your aperture down to enable the entire group to be in focus (sharp)... and that would lose the fast prime's advantage of having a large aperture which make the fast prime rather slow...

Oh... one way to utilize the fast prime with its aperture opened fully... stand far far away from your subject, so that your focus is to infinity.

So in bad lighting, a couple of thing to do:

1) Tripod (in case your shutter speed decreases too much)
    2) Manual focus (that is by far the fastest way to get everyone in your focus, rather than let your camera AF start hunting)
    3) External Flash (can use the flash's powerful assist beam to aid in focusing and also will light up the area)
    4) Up your ISO if you don't want to use flash, but that will induce too much noise depending on the ISO value.
    5) Practice, practice, practice.
    Last edited by rhino123; 25th July 2012 at 09:20 AM.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12